Midi Connections 2

Author
Dariusx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/01/16 23:06:53 (permalink)

Midi Connections 2

I am just getting started in the world of MIDI. While I have read about it and have a basic knowledge of it when putting theory into practice I do not get the results I want,

I have a Yamaha ypt 400 keyboard. I t is MIDI capable however it only has a USB output. I have read about the five pin MIDI in/out so I don't know if this is good or not. I had read about controllers and sequencers, but I don't know if I need them or not.I am using Sonar 6 cakewalk trial software to evaluate if I want to purchase this or not.

When I uploaded a song that I had recorded on the keyboard I have encountered a huge problem. When I play it back either through the PC or keyboard the instruments heard are not the ones I recorded. For instance if I had a horn part, I now hear a piano when I play it on the PC. It sounds okay as it is recording however.

When I play back through the keyboard (via the PC) I will hear whatever was the last instrument setting I played manually for instance if it was a piano I will hear that and not horns.

I have an old PC and my sound card does not have a specific MIDI input. There is only a line in. I do plan to get a new one soon but in the meanwhile I need to know if there is anything I am doing wrong?

Pent 3 (500 MHZ)
384 Ram
Windows XP Home Edition (Serevice pack 2)
Creative Sound Blaster Card

Thanks In Advance
Dre

1 Reply Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Midi Connections 2 2007/01/17 10:57:02 (permalink)
    Dre, this is a huge subject with a lot of potential for confusion along the way. MIDI is just a way of moving numbers. The sounds themselves don't necessarily come with it. There are some differences, but you can move these numbers over a standard MIDI cable or USB. MIDI is very versatile, so you have to tell it what you want it to do.

When you send those numbers from the keyboard to a computer application, the software in the computer determines what sound you'll hear. In playing back to the keyboard itself, the sound heard will be selected within the keyboard. I'm not trying to be evasive with giving you a solid answer; it's just that there are so many variables involved.

Instead, I'm going to point you to a very good general article/tutorial on MIDI. Pay close attention to things like program changes, and that will give you some background on what I'm saying here. If you're still stuck for an answer, reply back with your questions.
    http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tutorial/tutor.shtml
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1