Midi Learn and Automation

Author
dgrm44
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
2016/08/09 08:08:03 (permalink)

Midi Learn and Automation

This is an interesting one. I have been trying to figure this out for a while and so far I can't do it.
I have a virtual instrument loaded into SONAR Its EastWest Play, but it could be any plugin...so that's not the point.

The plugin has preset parameters that I can choose to automate within SONAR and they all work fine. However there are some additional parameters that it doesn't have setup. These parameters DO HAVE Midi Learn capabilities. I want to map them to open/unused CC numbers and automate them. How do I do this? When I figure this out, its going to be awesome!
Thanks!

4 Replies Related Threads

MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re: Midi Learn and Automation 2016/08/09 09:18:18 (permalink)
    Do you have a MIDI keyboard controller with assignable faders, knobs(rotary controllers and buttons?  If so it is very easy.  Assign an unused CC to a either a fader, knob or button.  Then in the plugin click on MIDI learn for the parameter you want to control, move the fader, knob or button you just assigned the CC then click on MIDI learn again.  Now that controller will control that parameter.  Note you can do this to some degree with other MIDI controllers but I have found that a keyboard MIDI controller has the yields the most options.

If you don't have a MIDI controller then how you do this will depend on the plugin.  Some like Kontakt will allow you to assign a CC to a parameter without a controller.  Others may also have this option.  With these you assign a CC to a parameter then in Sonar write in your CC settings.  You can use the piano roll view to do this.

I hope this helps - good luck.

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
    Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Midi Learn and Automation 2016/08/09 09:20:51 (permalink)
    Use separate MIDI track (not an instrument track), pointed to the synth. Add "MIDI..." automation, some unused CC. Draw some value (normally you have already constant automation created). Put required control into "MIDI Learn..." state, and start playing. The control should be "learned".

If you want to add more CC automations, the procedure can "learn" not correct control. But you can add yet another MIDI track with single CC automation and mute all old MIDI tracks to this synth. That is just to "MIDI learn...", you can put all required automations into one MIDI track then.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Midi Learn and Automation 2016/08/09 09:40:29 (permalink)
    If the CC you need isn't listed as an option, switch instrument definitions for the track. You may need to add the ones you need to a generic definition.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    dgrm44
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 282
    Re: Midi Learn and Automation 2016/08/09 10:26:29 (permalink)
    Something else. MIDI LEARN settings are not saved with the session. Each time you close then reopen the session you have to setup the plugins Midi Learn parameters again. What a pain!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1