Midi - Master Bus

Author
Nutty
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2056
2008/09/16 10:00:36 (permalink)

Midi - Master Bus

This is weird (to me). I created a new project as always and imported a midi file I created in Band in a Box. I also imported a audio file for the Real Drums. When I did this MC added the Master Bus. For some reason, I don't automatically get an insert of the Master Bus. I also inserted TTS-1. I'm trying to set up my inputs and outputs and for the midi files, it doesn't give the Master Bus as an option. I even inserted a new bus to see what would happen and still no master bus listed as an output. It automatically sends the output to my soundcard (Firebox). It will only play the Real Drums track. It probably something really simple that I'm missing. I created a project a couple of days ago and it was fine. I don't think I did anything different. (Hand is ready to smack forhead when response is given. Like D-OH).

Thanks.

Annette/Nutty

P.S. I didn't get any markers either that I usually get with Band in a Box files? Maybe I should start over. Maybe it's too early in the morning to be recording music?
post edited by Nutty - 2008/09/16 10:06:17

Nutty /Annette
http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars

7 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Midi - Master Bus 2008/09/16 10:19:50 (permalink)
    the markers will only be there if you check the box in BIAB that you want the markers to be exported with the MIDI file, so maybe you didn't have that box checked?

for the bus, I've never seen a cakewalk product automatically insert a bus for you after importing a track. you have to do that manually or choose a template at the beginning of the project which already has a bus. can you give us a screen shot of this so we can see better what might be going on? show us the tracks and the buses and click on the OUTPUT of the AUDIO track to show us what the choices are and that will probably help tremendously.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Nutty
    RE: Midi - Master Bus 2008/09/16 10:58:48 (permalink)
    Never mind. D'oh is right. It was just too early in the morning I guess. These were midi tracks that should be going to TTS-1, not the master bus. I know....this brain fog has got to go!!!

I did check my Band in a Box file though and it does have the option to include part markers checked off. It created them fine the other day. This one I'm sure about...I checked it several times LOL.... I'll jyst manually insert them. It's just nice when MC does it for you though. EDIT: Ut didn't carry over the tempo either.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Annette
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/09/16 11:19:54

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    rob.pulman
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    RE: Midi - Master Bus 2008/09/16 11:07:15 (permalink)
    Lol Annette I was just checking my MIDI tracks to see what the problem was...you just beat me to it lol, was gonna shout out SYNTH!!

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    Nutty
    RE: Midi - Master Bus 2008/09/16 11:15:02 (permalink)
    Thanks Rob,

Maybe someone is trying to tell that maybe today is not a good day for recording? I'm going to take my chances anyway. It usually takes 100 times or so anyway to get the vocals right.

Annette

P.S. If you have a second Rob, would you mind listening to the new version of Let Me Out on my sound click page. I tried your suggestion, but I don't think I'm doing a great job of it. I just picked mindlessly over the chords because I couldn't come up with a catchy "pattern". What do you think? I'll keep at it, but does it sound real bad? It seems to sound better when other poeple play this way. Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
    rob.pulman
    RE: Midi - Master Bus 2008/09/16 14:49:11 (permalink)
    I like that song, there's a real psychadelic feel to a lot of it. I can hear the notes and to be honest what you've done suits the song and the chords. Keep at it and you'll soon find it natural to be able to pick out melodies from those notes.

When you include the minor pentatonic and minor pentatonic blues scale you'll be laughing. Copy the link in your browser, here's the examples in G. You'll also find it very useful to get the feel of which notes you can bend up to, in any given key (you can always bend up to the root in any position anyway so that's a good place to start)

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/minor-pentatonic/index.php
    post edited by rob.pulman - 2008/09/16 14:51:32

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    rob.pulman
    RE: Midi - Master Bus 2008/09/16 15:35:02 (permalink)
    Another thing Annette on technique - embellish as much as possible. You can make two notes sound completely different depending on how you play them - practice sliding up to notes, hammering-on to notes, and pulling-off to notes and like I mentioned, bending up and down to notes. Use double stops (just means playing two of those chord notes together).

if you're playing a rhythm chord in a low position, pick out the arpeggio notes in a higher position on different strings. You'll have the same notes but totally different feel. For example, playing a D open string sound different to playing a D note at the 12th fret. Use octaves, anything you can think of.

If you're soloing over a rhythm track, you will know what chord comes next in your rhythm (hopefully lol) - at the chord change, make sure your melody/solo note is from the next chord. Try landing on the 3rd or 5th of the chord instead of the root, you'll have great results.

Sorry for going on, keep at it lol

Stoojo Music

Nutty
    RE: Midi - Master Bus 2008/09/16 16:08:06 (permalink)
    Oh don't be sorry for going on..your advice is very helpful. I just need to jump in and start playing. I do have charts made up of all the chord inversions as well that will be useful. I like the site you posted because it has specific examples of what to do to improvise. So you follow what they have done and then recommend changing it around, like you have recommended.

Thanks for listening to the song. I'm recording it again today, so it will be more practice for me. I have decided on a compromise of the two versions. In the new version I decreased the bpm by 10 beats. I kind of like the jpace of the first one, so I decided to only reduce it by 5 bpm and keep the extra measures and hopefully add some nice guitar fill-ins to keep the pace going. So, your input is extremely helpful for me. I just need to do it. What's the Nike commercial? Just do it???

Thanks again Rob. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1