Midi Problems

Author
SonarJohn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2007/06/07 00:33:43 (permalink)

Midi Problems

Hi folks I am a novice here and I am wondering why I cannot hear or play my Midi device..in this case my Roland RD 100 stage piano.. its all connected correctly..I followed the manual instructions..but nada..nothing..also when I load a Tutorial with midi instruments I can't hear any sound.. so something is missing.
I looked up the manual where it tells you how to "send" a midi signal..ok..but still Nada..

I am making these assumptions...if my sound card is working properly and I connect the midi to the sound card..then can I not use the "soft synth" or sound card synth to produce sounds?
Can I not do that outside of Sonar as well to tests it?..Why ac I not hear any sound.? Do I have to do something special?

Whats the general setup for trying to get a your midi to work through the computer....I am totally ignorant about this so please walk me through the steps.

Lastly , if I connect the Midi to the sound card...shouldn't I be able to hear some sort of sounds..and lastly.... if the Midi output is in this case Delta Midi out.....how in the heck do I hear the sounds?..where does it go..normally to hear sound from my sound card it has to be 1/2 line out..

Thanks in advance.

Regards, JRM

2 Replies Related Threads

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Midi Problems 2007/06/07 04:55:17 (permalink)
    Hi SonarJohn. Welcome to the Cakewalk forum. This is a basic MIDI question and would be best posed on the Home Studio forum. Try over there. There are a few members who patiently answer these types of questions over and over.

Here's another tip. Acquire the book "Sonar x Power" by Scott Garrigus (where "x" is the version of Sonar you have). That book covers everything you need to know about getting audio and MIDI in and out of your computer and Sonar. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Midi Problems 2007/06/07 21:32:43 (permalink)
    You usually dont hear a midi devise. A midi devise is just outpoutting data. Does your soundcard have a softy synth in it??. have you defined your midi I/O's in sonar???? Best bet is to read the help file and manual on midi. The whole midi section
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1