Midi Track Out set to Soft Synth in a different track

Author
Ikeprof
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/01/31 01:48:08 (permalink)

Midi Track Out set to Soft Synth in a different track

During live playback, everything sounds great.  After various attempts to export the audio, the midi track is missing.

For a better explanation, I have Battery 3 in a track playing a kick drum sound.  In order to provide independent "mix" control of panning and volume, I put the snare on a separate "midi" track and set it's out to be the Battery 3 Track.  I know this part is working fine because if I mute or solo the battery 3 track I lose or gain both sounds.

When it comes time to export the audio, all I hear in the final mp3 is kick drum only.

Have a second question regarding setting a midi track to a drum map out, but I suspect answering this one will answer both.

Sorry for being such a newb and thanks in advance for any help.

Ike
post edited by Ikeprof - 2011/01/31 01:49:22

2 Replies Related Threads

Ikeprof
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Midi Track Out set to Soft Synth in a different track 2011/01/31 02:18:49 (permalink)
    Well, after fiddling around I discovered that one of the original reasons for doing this doesn't work anyhow.  If I pan the midi track (snare) the bass track ends up panning also.

So maybe I should actually be asking a different question.  If I want to only load a softsynth once and use the same patch on different tracks for clarity of editing.  So a drumkit with kick on one track and snare on another both going to the same soft synth.  

Or string parts with counter melodies both using the same patch on the same soft synth, is there a way to do this without loading the softsynth twice (once in each track)?

I wouldn't ask but I have at this point hours of reading help files and messing around on my own trying to figure it out.

Thanks again
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Midi Track Out set to Soft Synth in a different track 2011/01/31 03:27:12 (permalink)
    In order to have independent control of synth volume and panning for two parts, you need a synth with multiple outputs. This is not a problem for any drum synth I know of. You simply assign the two drum sounds to different outputs, and you can use either MIDI or audio track controls to control volume and pan independently.

The same would usually go for an orchestral synth, as they are also generally multi-timbral with independent outputs, often one for each MIDI channel. And you should be able to load same patch on two channels.

Only if a synth can only load one patch at a time do you have to use multiple instances. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1