Midi connections

Author
clasonar37
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 198
2010/07/10 17:23:31 (permalink)

Midi connections

I know this is a dumb question but I have never been able to answer this on my own so I shall ask this question.

I have a Motif ES6, and a Remote SL61 midi controller.  I am working under the Windows 7 64 bit platform, Sonar 8.5.3,
the V-Studio 100, and basically all I want to know to do is be able to connect the Remote SL61 and the Motif ES6  to the V-Studio 100 so that I can record in Sonar.  Now, I want to use the Remote SL61 as the master controller.  I just basically want to use the Motif as a sound module.  Do I need a patchbay or a midisport 2x2, or do I just need midi cables?  Do I need to just go midi-out of the Remote SL and midi-in to the Motif while going midi-out (Remote SL)  to midi-in  ( V-Studio 100) ? Is my Remote SL overkill?   I am truly baffled because I am not as techy as I would like to be and I don't  have a partner that I work with that knows how to connect stuff.
Can somebody get me on the right track?

AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.4 ghz
6 gb Ram
NVidia GeForce Dual Monitor card
Sonar 8.5.3
Omnisphere , Trillian, Reason ,
Motif ES6
Remote SL 61

8 Replies Related Threads

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Midi connections 2010/07/10 18:48:42 (permalink)
    I think those devices have USB connectivity.

If so, connection with USB cables to USB port would be the way to connect them.

No need for MIDI cables, or adapters, if so.

A single USB cable carries both MIDI in and MIDI out.
    clasonar37
    Re:Midi connections 2010/07/10 20:13:56 (permalink)
    you are right. i will try that . thanks
    clasonar37
    Re:Midi connections 2010/07/10 20:23:08 (permalink)
    i just thought about this though.  i have the remote hooked up to the v-studio 100 (via midi-in and out) . are you saying that i don't have to hook it up midi since i'm hooked up usb?  and that maybe i could hook the motif to the v-studio 100 via midi.  that would be easier for me if I could do that.  i don't want to experiment with that unless you or somebody knows for sure that i could hook the motif via midi. thanks for the response...
    post edited by clasonar37 - 2010/07/10 20:24:51
    NoKey
    Re:Midi connections 2010/07/10 20:59:56 (permalink)
    OK, since they come with USB connectivity, then most likely the makers do provide "drivers" (software) for that connectivity to the PC.

You can start with the ones that come in CD's with said equipment, or get the latest drivers from their websites.

Also I put a little masking tape on the laptop and number the USB ports, and also mark the usb cables, because when Windows typically wants the USB device in the same USB port where you initially installed it with the drivers.

Without the tape marks, it was almost impossible to know where they devices work, and where not, as sooner or later one disconnects them.

Best of all.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Midi connections 2010/07/10 21:12:25 (permalink)
    The SL61 is a dumb controller and if you like its feel more than the Motif then you will want to drive the Motif from the SL61. Simple midi cable connection. Midi out on the SL61 to midi in on the Motif.

If you want to pass the midi data to Sonar for storing then you will then need to take a midi cable out from the Motif midi-thru to the VS-100. The VS-100 will pass it out the usb port and on to a usb port on the computer. Done.

Now if you want to pass data back out from computer to drive the motif, take a midi cable from the back of the VS100 midi out and connect it to the midi in on the Motif.

You should be done.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    NoKey
    Re:Midi connections 2010/07/10 23:18:47 (permalink)
    clasonar37

i just thought about this though.  i have the remote hooked up to the v-studio 100 (via midi-in and out) . are you saying that i don't have to hook it up midi since i'm hooked up usb?  and that maybe i could hook the motif to the v-studio 100 via midi.  that would be easier for me if I could do that.  i don't want to experiment with that unless you or somebody knows for sure that i could hook the motif via midi. thanks for the response...

MIDI connections with classic MIDI cables do not need a PC, and that allows MIDI device to MIDI device connections. That's one thing.

MIDI USB connections require a PC that, like a telephone central, handles the data to and from.

So, you can do connections as Middleman describes, using part MIDI cables.

But you can also do it with USB only cables, as long as the device connecting to the USB cable handles MIDI-in and MIDI-out thus, which is usually the case when they provide USB connectivity.

Thus, you can avoid cabling (MIDI cables)..However, depending on how/what you want to achive, you likely use MIDI-Ox and MIDI-Yoke in the PC, which would turn your centralizing of USB-MIDI devices into a very powerful MIDI routing center.

It's up to you. No need to be real techi, but MIDI-Yoke and MIDI-Ox do need some studying and figuring out.

Sonar, by the way, can also do some routing as a central, but not as much as MIDI-Ox.

There is no significant loss of speed or performance when using USB only..On the contrary, USB MIDI connections are in general faster and more reliable than via earlier MIDI classic cables.

Remember, though, usual MIDI is device to device, where the PC can be seen also as a MIDI device with in/out capability.

If you use only USB cables, though, the PC is also, then, a MIDI central. That means that with USB one can not connect two MIDI devices directly (just like telephones. They go to a central or centrals).  But once a device gets to the PC, with MIDI Yoke/MIDI-Ox manager, many connections are possible, and as a bonus, much filtering of MIDI data, and other powerful translations can be established. I think the allegory of USB as a telephone system might help visualize USB-MIDI.

I'd say you take one thing at a time and trying is the best way...The specific questions come later, but more and more one learns to figure things out.

Best of all.
    clasonar37
    Re:Midi connections 2010/07/11 11:43:50 (permalink)
    Middleman

The SL61 is a "dumb controller" and if you like its feel more than the Motif then you will want to drive the Motif from the SL61. Simple midi cable connection. Midi out on the SL61 to midi in on the Motif.

If you want to pass the midi data to Sonar for storing then you will then need to take a midi cable out from the Motif midi-thru to the VS-100. The VS-100 will pass it out the usb port and on to a usb port on the computer. Done.

Now if you want to pass data back out from computer to drive the motif, take a midi cable from the back of the VS100 midi out and connect it to the midi in on the Motif.

You should be done.
    Thanks Middleman,  I will certainly try your solution.  It seems pretty simple and I which is what I need.  The Remote SL would be nice but
    it is not as friendly with Cakewalk products as others.  Out of all the companies that the Remote has templates for, Sonar it doesn't.  Maybe because Cakewalk has it's own proprietary system...Anyway, I will try to get back to you before 12noon central time and see  what happens.  I've been working with Sonar off and on for 6 years and haven't been able to use it to it's fullest because I am a dummy when it comes to connections.  Thanks much.

PS:  I have also burned a bridge with Propellerhead because they haven't worked with Windows to Rewire Reason  in 64-bit.  So now I do my drum parts using Cyclone and Beatscape....and Dimension Pro...
    and spending a little time with the Step Sequencer

NoKey
    Re:Midi connections 2010/07/11 19:39:48 (permalink)
    All controllers are dumb.

The management of MIDI devices, of both USB and regular MIDI cables or ports is best done at a PC with MIDI-Yoke and MIDI-Ox. Many musicians use them. It get rid of cables because one then uses virtual cables. One can also have various schemes and change them very easily, without having to plug/unplug real cables.

I'd like to suggest not to discard those possibilities, for situations and thing  do change with time.

When one is not pressed by the need, is a good time to explore things.

Best wishes.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1