Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Freex
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 478
2012/01/25 09:16:42 (permalink)

Midi goes out of sync/time

Hey Guys

I tried recording some drums the other day as an experiment, using real cymbals and a electronic drum kit to trigger a midi plugin.
The audio recordings are all fine and in time with the click and each other
But the midi starts the lose time slowly over the lenght of the take. starting in time at first but slowly losing time (slowing down) as the take goes on.  By the end of a thre minute take it sound like someone that has know idea how to play a kit. (very funny)

Has anyone else experienced this or found the cause or a cure.

Thanx for the help in advance.

Freex

Asus P9X79, Intel i7-3930k, 32GB RAM ,Windows 7, RME RayDat, Presonus Firestudio, Presonus Digimax FS, Mackie MCU, Mackie XT, Makcie C4, KRK Rokit 6

How To Setup A Drum Map...The Easy Way.PDF

30 Replies Related Threads

inaheartbeat
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/25 09:58:46 (permalink)
    Freex

Hey Guys

I tried recording some drums the other day as an experiment, using real cymbals and a electronic drum kit to trigger a midi plugin.
    But the midi starts the lose time slowly over the lenght of the take. starting in time at first but slowly losing time (slowing down) as the take goes on.  By the end of a thre minute take it sound like someone that has know idea how to play a kit. (very funny)

Freex
    What was your midi clock when you recorded and what is it when you play back? Definitely seems like you have a midi clock drift issue. I have not had this issue but I also have several very solid midi clock sources. One other thing to consider is if you are using an external midi clock source are you daisy-chaining it through a bunch of devices? That is usually a bad thing.

Ken

Ken

PC Audio Labs mobile i7 MC, 3.46 Ghz i7 990X, 12 Gb RAM, 3 750 Gb 7200 RPM drives, 3 USB2, 2 USB 3 ports, firewire, Windows 7 64 bit Pro, Sonar X3e Producer 64 bit, 
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/25 11:05:28 (permalink)
    Try adjusting your MIDI buffers in Preference > MIDI > Playback and Recording menu. The number of buffers should be 64 or 96 or 128 or even 512. The prepared using can be as low as 100 or as high as 1000.

Try 128 for the "# of buffers" and 500 for the "prepare using" and see how that works.

If raising those 2 settings and if it still doesn't work, then you may need to raise or adjust your presonus ASIO buffers.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    inaheartbeat
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/25 16:20:20 (permalink)
    Freex

Hey Guys

Freex
    This may sound like a stupid question but did you record the midi into Sonar or did you record the midi somewhere else and are trying to sync it to Sonar when you start the audio tracks?

Ken

PC Audio Labs mobile i7 MC, 3.46 Ghz i7 990X, 12 Gb RAM, 3 750 Gb 7200 RPM drives, 3 USB2, 2 USB 3 ports, firewire, Windows 7 64 bit Pro, Sonar X3e Producer 64 bit, 
    Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/25 17:43:30 (permalink)
    All the tracks were staight to sonar via my FS2626, (Mics for the cymbals ofcourse, and midi out from drum brain into FS2626 midi In) the audio is perfect and in time (good drummer) the midi is off.

I've had a bit of a tweak and I've found that by using "fit to time" on the midi clip (shrinking the clip) from 05.54.28. to 05.54.17 (that's mins, secs and millis btw) I've got it almost back into time so the midi must have linearly gone out of sync, just a fraction at a time which eventually ends up being alot. So in total over the space of just less than 6 mins I've gained approx 0.1 of a second on the midi (I don't have a flux capacitor so we can rule out time travelling midi). It's crazy that such a little amount can sounds so ridiculously dire.

I think I should be able to salvage the takes but I'm stumped as to the cause.

Asus P9X79, Intel i7-3930k, 32GB RAM ,Windows 7, RME RayDat, Presonus Firestudio, Presonus Digimax FS, Mackie MCU, Mackie XT, Makcie C4, KRK Rokit 6

inaheartbeat
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/25 18:59:35 (permalink)
    Freex

All the tracks were staight to sonar via my FS2626, (Mics for the cymbals ofcourse, and midi out from drum brain into FS2626 midi In) the audio is perfect and in time (good drummer) the midi is off.

I've had a bit of a tweak and I've found that by using "fit to time" on the midi clip (shrinking the clip) from 05.54.28. to 05.54.17 (that's mins, secs and millis btw) I've got it almost back into time so the midi must have linearly gone out of sync, just a fraction at a time which eventually ends up being alot. So in total over the space of just less than 6 mins I've gained approx 0.1 of a second on the midi (I don't have a flux capacitor so we can rule out time travelling midi). It's crazy that such a little amount can sounds so ridiculously dire.

I think I should be able to salvage the takes but I'm stumped as to the cause.

Any possibility that plugin delay compensation on the tracks with the midi tracked audio output are causing issues? I am shooting in the dark here on this. By the way, 100 ms is a LOT of time to be off so it is no surprise it would sound awful towards the end.

Ken

Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/26 05:33:19 (permalink)
    Ken (thanks by the way, and shot all you want, it's a wierd issue)

I did 4 songs and 3 or 4 takes of each and all the takes show the same problem.

Wasn't using any plug-ins to record and the plug-ins on playback are fine,
    visually the midi and audio hits don't line up. (well they do at the start but start to drift by the end)

In respect to the delay, I meant that in the "real world" 100ms doesn't seem much, in the "audio world" it might as well be a life time. 

Flywheel
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/26 05:42:12 (permalink)
    I have been getting the same thing Freex.

It slows down then goes out of sync after that the instruments sounds cut in and out. Very weird I am sure I am not the only one. I have done the necessary checks. it does not happen in other DAWs and even the in other Sonar V's only in Sonar X1.

To get them back in to sync I have to stop the track and restart. I hope they fix this bug in X1D.

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/26 09:56:31 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty serious.

A known issue is that midi clips are not placed correctly when taking possible delay precompensation into account, but that would misplace the clip alltogether and not make it longer i.e if the loaded plugins cause a delay compensation of 1000 samples meaning what you here is 1000 samples late and then placing the midi clip recorded 1000 samples earlier.

For audio clips this should be handled correctly though.

Isn't there a setting whether to use timestamp of midi or not?
    This affect whether midi notes arriving are placed in realtime as they are processed or by the timestamp(something like that).

Look for help about aud.ini. I recall there is such a thing in settings.
    Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/26 15:35:00 (permalink)
    Not sure you're getting the problem, the midi starts at the correct place (timestamp is correct) but final hit of midi is approx 100ms after the final hit of audio.

inaheartbeat
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/26 17:07:30 (permalink)
    Is it possible that in one instance you used a midi clock with 29.97 fps ndf timing and another time you are using 30 fps nd? Just seems like that kind of slow drift can happen if you have a slight clocking mismatch like that. Buffering I don't think would cause slow drift. That would be more of a dropout problem. Do you have a playback timing master set for a different clocking rate or something?

Yea....I know I am really fishing around here. I just can't get past the drift as a clocking mismatch.

Ken

lfm
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/26 22:43:37 (permalink)
    Freex

Not sure you're getting the problem, the midi starts at the correct place (timestamp is correct) but final hit of midi is approx 100ms after the final hit of audio.

I got it:
    "but that would misplace the clip alltogether and not make it longer"

If you use timestamps and that clock drifts compared to Sonar clock it would be the same problem.

We're all just fishing to generate new ideas....
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/27 09:14:59 (permalink)
    The timestamp & clock drifts theory is that when Sonar was recording, there was a timestamp mismatch between the MIDI clock and the audio clock. Then on playback recorded audio and MIDI would not be in sync. If your MIDI driver is timestamping based on the PC's time, but the external audio clock is .03% different from the PC's clock, this could happen. Also, check that Sonar's sync setting is "audio".

Take a look at IgnoreMidiInTimeStamps=<0 or 1> in the manual (for TTSseq.ini):

This line determines whether or not SONAR ignores
    any MIDI time stamping that a MIDI driver does. If
    you’re experiencing increasing delays between the
    time you play a MIDI note on a controller and the time
    you hear SONAR echo it, setting this line to 1 may
    help. Also, if you find that SONAR is recording MIDI
    data at a different time from when the data was
    played, setting this line to 1 may help. If the MIDI
    driver is using a different clock from SONAR, the time
    discrepancy increases the longer that the MIDI driver
    is open, so you need to tell SONAR to ignore the
    timestamp that the MIDI driver adds to the data (set
    the value to 1).

Note that this setting is needed during recording. Playback is too late.

Another case could arise from slaving the drum machine to Sonar's midi clock, but Sonar is not sync'ed to the audio clock. Then Sonar is generating MIDI timestamps and tempo from the PC's clock but recording audio samples at the rate of your Firestudio's audio clock. It sounds right during record, but not on playback.

lfm
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/27 11:07:50 (permalink)
    bvideo

The timestamp & clock drifts theory is that when Sonar was recording, there was a timestamp mismatch between the MIDI clock and the audio clock. Then on playback recorded audio and MIDI would not be in sync. If your MIDI driver is timestamping based on the PC's time, but the external audio clock is .03% different from the PC's clock, this could happen. Also, check that Sonar's sync setting is "audio".

Take a look at IgnoreMidiInTimeStamps=<0 or 1> in the manual (for TTSseq.ini):

This line determines whether or not SONAR ignores
    any MIDI time stamping that a MIDI driver does. If
    you’re experiencing increasing delays between the
    time you play a MIDI note on a controller and the time
    you hear SONAR echo it, setting this line to 1 may
    help. Also, if you find that SONAR is recording MIDI
    data at a different time from when the data was
    played, setting this line to 1 may help. If the MIDI
    driver is using a different clock from SONAR, the time
    discrepancy increases the longer that the MIDI driver
    is open, so you need to tell SONAR to ignore the
    timestamp that the MIDI driver adds to the data (set
    the value to 1).

Note that this setting is needed during recording. Playback is too late.

Another case could arise from slaving the drum machine to Sonar's midi clock, but Sonar is not sync'ed to the audio clock. Then Sonar is generating MIDI timestamps and tempo from the PC's clock but recording audio samples at the rate of your Firestudio's audio clock. It sounds right during record, but not on playback.

Thanks for clarifying. I have not been at my daw for some time now.

Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/27 11:27:54 (permalink)
    Going to try again tomorrow,

I've also got the lend of a firewire express card, to check it out. (not sure if I mentioned that it was thru a laptop and not my audio PC before),

Thanks again for all the fishing, I'll keep you posted.

Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/31 10:42:32 (permalink)
    Still no joy, the firewire express card helped, but not on the timing side. (just everything ran a little smoother).

On the basic take my initial thoughts where that everything was fine but after the song had ended, we did a few drum fills that we weren't getting in the context of the song, This was when we noticed the timing issues, again started out in time and then drifted off as the take went on. Again by the end we were out by about 100ms or so, although it doesn't seem to have drifted in a linear fashion this time.

I think I can sort the timing and get the midi back into time, but it almost defeats the point of using the midi drums in the first place.

Clueless

Freex

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/31 10:55:00 (permalink)
    Have you got any tempo changes in your project that will affect Midi (obviously) but won't affect audio?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/31 14:49:27 (permalink)
    Good point, but no.

Plus the click was from sonar and the audio is bang on the click.

JingleBells
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/01/31 15:10:25 (permalink)
    All this talk about clocks, compensation settings, theories, blah blah blah. Why doesn't this sh%t work likes it's supposed? We paid for this stuff to work on a basic level. Now that I feel better, let me tell you I have had the exact issue in the past with my midi clips. What started as what you describe ultimately led (for me) to midi tracks mysteriously becoming armed and echoed even when they werent touched...like the drums would somehow switch to default midi input "on" with my controller selected in the input field (in track view), even though the input echo was off and i was feeding a different seemingly unrelated track. What i've found is that it has something to do with the dpc of audio vs the midi...i could eliminate the problem by first stopping the play in transport, muting all the real audio tracks and then soloing the drum midi...*bing* the midi would go back in time. (set metronome to play on playback for reference). So....try muting all the audio tracks, hit play, then hit stop, then hit play again with just your drums...as the track is playing then unmute the audio tracks. Does that do anything? It's like some sort of reset. FYI I posted about this in another forum in the past and never got a full explination. I've learned to "freeze" the drum midi immediately before going deeper into a project. My only other guess is that there might be a tempo change via sonar somewhere in the song that is subsequently throwing off the quantization of midi(if you're using it). This could go unnoticed, I am guilty of this a few times.

2011 I7 3.4ghz 2600k Homebrew, Windows7 Ultimate, Sonar X1C Producer, 16GB 1600 Corsair RAM, 128gb OCZ Sata 6gb/s SSD x2, Roland Octacapture 1.5, HP 24" LED 1080 x2, Apogee Rosetta 800, RME HDSPe AIO PCIe, Fab Filter, Kontakt4, Sknote, IK Multimedia, Softube, NI, Soundtoys Waves, MOTU Ekeys, XLN Addictive Drums, Neve, handbuilt Pultec compressor clone, NS10, API500EQ, Soundcraft Cons, Mic junkie, Hammond Organ collector, anecdote whistleblower
    Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 07:01:50 (permalink)
     i think you've got the wrong end of the stick, the recorded midi is out of sync with the rest of the tracks and click,
    Audibly as well as visually, midi "notes/hits" don't line up with the grid and are out of time with the recorded audio tracks (that were all recorded at the same time)
    Even when I boost the level on the overheads, I can hear the sound of the stick hitting the midi pads, but the note/hit is recorded on the midi track out of time. And as I said the start is in time then the next is a VERY small amount out, then the next.... until we get up to about 100ms in abot 2 or 3 mins. 
    It's not a plugin issue, the midi plays where the hit is, just the hit's in the wrong place.

Flywheel
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 08:40:32 (permalink)
    Freex I think we understand we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, although we started of in unison we seem to be drifting. Others only sing when they want until we all grind to a sudden stop if we let it continue.

As I said i hope Cakewalk have picked up on this erroneous error of computer programming and has concocted some penicillin to amend it and call it a working remedy called X1D! The medicine!
    post edited by Flywheel - 2012/02/01 12:39:35
    Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 13:14:14 (permalink)
    Flywheel

Freex I think we understand we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, although we started of in unison we seem to be drifting. Others only sing when they want until we all grind to a sudden stop if we let it continue.

As I said i hope Cakewalk have picked up on this erroneous error of computer programming and has concocted some penicillin to amend it and call it a working remedy called X1D! The medicine!

Thanks Flywheel

Here's hoping "the medicine" does solve the problem, as I'm other wise at a loss as to what could be the cause.

Peter Morrison
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 13:31:18 (permalink)
    Freex

Hey Guys

Freex

My problem is different I have suddenly developed a big latency problem during recording. My friend had a similar problem on his Mac using Pro Tools. When he played his keyboard the latency delay was fine, but the Midi data went down late. He found out it was a Drumagog issue. When he disabled Drumagog, the sympton stopped

Gear;-4 copper kettles-a large dustbin-a piece of string and a cotter pin. I keep a spring on standby 
    Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 18:47:29 (permalink)
    Peter Morrison

My problem is different I have suddenly developed a big latency problem during recording. My friend had a similar problem on his Mac using Pro Tools. When he played his keyboard the latency delay was fine, but the Midi data went down late. He found out it was a Drumagog issue. When he disabled Drumagog, the sympton stopped

Was he using drumagog on the project or was it just in his plugins?

evzevz
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 18:58:18 (permalink)
    For what it might be worth, I have had problems with midi synchronization when using instances of Perfect Space and low latency settings. Even with the perfect space instances disabled the problem persisted. I think the solution lay in fine tuning the buffer sizes and latency as CJ mentioned, but I went the fast route and just removed perfect space from my projects. Have you tried a test project with nothing else in it?
    Freex
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 19:03:15 (permalink)
    evzevz

For what it might be worth, I have had problems with midi synchronization when using instances of Perfect Space and low latency settings. Even with the perfect space instances disabled the problem persisted. I think the solution lay in fine tuning the buffer sizes and latency as CJ mentioned, but I went the fast route and just removed perfect space from my projects. Have you tried a test project with nothing else in it?

The project I was using only had a ghost guitar track and vox, for the drummer to follow, and a click provided by sonar.
    No plugins or effects were used while tracking. (sound of drums came from eDrum brain, we just recorded the direct midi data and live cymbals.

BTW thanks guys for sticking with me herre and for all the input.

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 20:29:51 (permalink)
    I had something similar to this happen once in either 8.5 or 8.5.3. Recorded MIDI notes progressively slowing on playback. Adjusting the MIDI buffers fixed it, but I was dealing with far more MIDI data than I expect you'd ever get from a single drum brain (multiple hardware synths involving lots of CC data in my case).

If there's only a single MIDI track and and the PC isn't being overly taxed, I'd suspect MIDI clock issues as the obvious candidate for suspicion as has been suggested.

A thought - could the delays be happening at the interface hardware/driver stage rather than in Sonar? You say the timing drift is visually evident on the recorded tracks, so it looks like a recording rather than playback issue, and the time slip could be happening to the data before it reaches Sonar. If you've an alternative MIDI interface I suggest trying that to see if it makes a difference. It might even be worth trying plugging in to a different USB port (not just socket, but different port) in the PC as well.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 20:37:50 (permalink)
    How curious. The forum software appears to find a particular word, derived from "suspect" and defined by the Oxford dictionary as a noun meaning "a feeling or thought that something is possible, likely, or true" worthy of partial censure.

Sensitive little soul, the forum software.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    inaheartbeat
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/01 22:59:29 (permalink)
    Do you have aftertouch enabled? Maybe you are getting so swamped with aftertouch messages it is knocking your note on's gradually further off.

I know....another random shot in the dark here. Beer fueled speculation ;-)

Ken

inaheartbeat
    Re:Midi goes out of sync/time 2012/02/05 11:51:00 (permalink)
    Just had a thought....

Have you tried setting the variable IgnoreMidiInTimestamps in the TTSSEQ.INI file? If your midi driver is sending out slightly off timestamps that will cause a slow drift. If you set this variable to 1 then maybe that will help your situation.

Ken

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1