Midi guitar technique

Author
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2017/09/23 19:16:56 (permalink)

Midi guitar technique

If I play chords on my guitar to produce nice long pad sounds, it works fine, but inevitably there is a small gap as I move from (say) an F chord to a C chord. The "problem" can be reduced by increasing the decay time on the patch, but what I usually end up doing is diving into the piano roll and extending all the Midi notes manually, so that the notes comprising the F chord run right up to the start of the C chord.

Is there a way to do this less labour intensively?

11 Replies Related Threads

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/09/23 19:18:37 (permalink)
    A longer release time on the synth's amplitude envelope so the notes sustain a little after the MIDI note itself ends might do the trick.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/09/24 13:16:28 (permalink)
    I have a hold pedal on my gr20.
    post edited by gswitz - 2017/09/24 22:59:08

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/09/24 21:04:47 (permalink)
    You may want to check out in the September issue of Sound On Sound a review of Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2. This software converts the guitar signal into midi data.  But it only uses the standard output from your guitar.  No special pickups necessary or anything like that.  Hence it is converting your polyphonic playing!

But here is the thing, the reviewer stated quite clearly this beats the pants off any hex pickup going into anything previously.  For speed and accuracy.  Hard to believe I agree.  It is around 83 pounds. ($112 US) 

He said he is never going back to any previous system.  This might be worth a look.  Can be used stand alone or inside your DAW too. 

They have never stopped developing guitar playing to midi conversion and it seems it is just getting better all the time. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/09/24 22:34:51 (permalink)
    If the pad is not the instrument in focus, copy/paste can be your friend since most chord progressions repeat to some level. You can also drag/drop into the browser as you work if desired, so will start building a chord library as you go that can be drag/dropped from the browser (which is a rudimentary chord track generator that is easy to modify if you save one clip per chord).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/09/25 01:43:11 (permalink)
    Depending on various factors quantizing note duration might do the trick.  
    Fast, easy and can be applied to multiple bars.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Marshall
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/09/25 07:58:56 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    You may want to check out in the September issue of Sound On Sound a review of Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2. This software converts the guitar signal into midi data.  But it only uses the standard output from your guitar.  No special pickups necessary or anything like that.  Hence it is converting your polyphonic playing!

But here is the thing, the reviewer stated quite clearly this beats the pants off any hex pickup going into anything previously.  For speed and accuracy.  Hard to believe I agree.  It is around 83 pounds. ($112 US) 

He said he is never going back to any previous system.  This might be worth a look.  Can be used stand alone or inside your DAW too. 

They have never stopped developing guitar playing to midi conversion and it seems it is just getting better all the time. 

Hi Jeff

Meant to say, I am actually using Midi Guitar 2! It's absolutely brilliant, I agree. It was Paul White's review in SOS that persuaded me to get it.
    stm113cw
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/10/03 17:29:15 (permalink)
    I'm interested in this for a bunch of reasons, I'd been thinking of looking into either getting a midi pickup set up or upgrading Melodyne for the version that does polyphonic converting. Mostly I just want to be able to play a guitar DI track for pads and use Dimension, Rapture etc for the sounds. I've also heard of using melodyne to keep bass guitar notes in tune, which is an interesting thought. The only other thing I could think of using guitar to midi for is maybe taking a guitar DI and maybe using a plug in to layer a strat sound on top of my LP track.
    Marshall
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/10/03 18:15:16 (permalink)
    stm113cw
    I'm interested in this for a bunch of reasons, I'd been thinking of looking into either getting a midi pickup set up or upgrading Melodyne for the version that does polyphonic converting. Mostly I just want to be able to play a guitar DI track for pads and use Dimension, Rapture etc for the sounds. I've also heard of using melodyne to keep bass guitar notes in tune, which is an interesting thought. The only other thing I could think of using guitar to midi for is maybe taking a guitar DI and maybe using a plug in to layer a strat sound on top of my LP track.

I'm not saying it's perfect but if you listen to the top track on my SoundCloud, Alicante in September, (link below), the "choir" was played by my Strat using MIDI guitar 2.
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/10/03 19:10:16 (permalink)
    When using Midi Guitar, a good thing to have as far as string dampeners are concerned is a small strip of velcro.....like in this video.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/10/08 10:32:26 (permalink)
    There are no if and and buts about it . If you want to get good using a "Midi Guitar" you have to play and practice to the patch .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Marshall
    Re: Midi guitar technique 2017/10/08 16:38:50 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    There are no if and and buts about it . If you want to get good using a "Midi Guitar" you have to play and practice to the patch .

Kenny

I agree with that, and in addition, I find that it is best to revert to the keyboard on occasions.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1