Midi map prob w/supplied loops?

Author
JopinKlobe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2010/11/17 16:54:51 (permalink)

Midi map prob w/supplied loops?

Hi,

I've been futzing with Loop Explorer. I open a new project ('Normal'), open Loop explorer, go to /Sample Content/Midi Groove Clips/ and here are some of what I found:

1. Everything in 'Bass' is mapped to 'Piano'
  2. in /Drums/Electro , Electro_3drm.mid is mapped to 'Piano'
  3. in 'HipHop', everything not starting with 'HipHop...' is mapped to 'Piano'
  4. in 'House', USHardHse2_drm.mid has 'Drum' and 'Piano' mappings
  5. in 'Reggae', everything starting with "reggaeton..." is mapped to 'Piano'
  6. in 'Trance', trancedrums.mid is all piano
As I said, I open SHS7XL "clean", open a new "normal" project and the above happens. I haven't had time to check the rest yet.  Am I neglecting to do something?

Thanks,
Jopin
--------------------
Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz - 3GB mem., Tascam US-144-mkII, Alesis M1Active 520 USB, SHS7XL

4 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Midi map prob w/supplied loops? 2010/11/17 22:59:16 (permalink)
    Set the channels and patches in the MIDI source tracks. Piano is the default patch, so if you don't set the patches, they'll all sound like piano.
    If you don't have the tracks set to different channels (on the same synth), they'll sound the same as other MIDI tracks using that channel.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    JopinKlobe
    Re:Midi map prob w/supplied loops? 2010/11/17 23:56:59 (permalink)
    First, Greg, thanks for your answer -  I appreciate it.

I am fairly new to MIDI, and I do understand setting patches (just understanding - poco a poco), I was just trying to figure out why some of the .mids played correctly with just the "clean"/default set-up, and some - even some in the same directories -  were not "mapped" (as I think I understand the term) "correctly".

I guess the simple question is - "Do I have to set some of the pre-loaded/supplied .mids differently/correctly from the way they are loaded?"

If I do, I need to find out the correct patches for the default .mids/loops (all of the "Bass", "HipHop", the "dual-mapped" (piano-drum) drum sequences, etc.). For example, I have no idea what type of bass goes to the "bass" .mids.

Thanks again for your quick answer.

Jopin

-----------------

Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz - 3GB mem., Tascam US-144-mkII, Alesis M1Active 520 USB, SHS7XL
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Midi map prob w/supplied loops? 2010/11/18 13:11:08 (permalink)
    "Do I have to set some of the pre-loaded/supplied .mids differently/correctly from the way they are loaded?"

Nope. You can set it to whatever you want. Most MIDI loops/clips are just data that tell a synth what note to play, when to play it, how long and at what velocity to play it. What that note sounds like is mostly up to you.

"trying to figure out why some of the .mids played correctly with just the "clean"/default set-up, and some - even some in the same directories -  were not "mapped" (as I think I understand the term) "correctly".

I haven't used many MIDI loops, but I assume that some .mid files have the embedded patch info and others do not. Mapping is just which note to play, not which patch to play. I think.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    JopinKlobe
    Re:Midi map prob w/supplied loops? 2010/11/18 14:57:59 (permalink)
    "map" - told you I was new.

All in all, I was confused as to why some of the .mid loops supplied with a finished commercial product were using the correct patches and some - like the .mid loops that were supposed to be drums or bass, but were piano, or "mixed" - were not.

Hey, I guess for the price and for what the program does, I shouldn't ****.

It's just - If this company (Cakewalk) is this sloppy with this lower level product, does paying more money buy a higher sense of pride from the company? If that's true, I can do without that level of business ethic.

Nowhere on the box does it say, "Some of this stuff's obviously not right."

I guess I'll fix these loops.  I say 'fix' since they're loaded by the program into directories especially designated for particular "sounds"/patches, and they are not sounding the correct patches.

Thanks for your time and interest - that's refreshing these days.

Jopin
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1