Midi notes playing that I didn't press!?

Author
logan86
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 133
2011/02/02 13:29:44 (permalink)

Midi notes playing that I didn't press!?

Hey guys

So today I finally got myself a motu ultralite mk3 hybrid firewire/usb2 audio interface. The first thing I have done with it is hook up my midi keyboard and try and make something happen within sonar. So I've tried out the true pianos synth that comes with sonar 8.5 producer and a very strange thing is happening. I can play a song fine and it sounds very nice, but then every 10 notes or so it just goes crazy and plays one or two notes that I clearly haven't pressed! What could possibly be happening here?

My pc:

intel quad core q6600 @2.4ghz
4gb ddr2 ram
1tb sata drive
motu ultralite mk3 hybrid connected by firewire
(firewire card is made by texas instruments before anyone says anything ;)  )

So has anyone encountered anything like this before, and what could I do to solve this? Thankyou everyone for your advice and help :)

9 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 13:54:53 (permalink)
    I have the ultralite mk3 as well.  haven't had it long, but it's a great piece of equipment.

i have never seen this type of behavior.  a couple of things I would suggest trying for troubleshooting:

1) try inserting TTS-1 and playing it instead, just to rule out the possibility if it's true pianos causing this or something else.

2) verify you have the MIDI Inputs and OUTPUTs correct on the cables.  people often get them confused - OUTPUT from the keyboard goes to INPUT on the MOTU and visa versa.

3) try downloading and installing MIDIOX and verify if the notes are being sent from the keyboard or not.  if they're being sent from the keyboard that way, check your keyboard settings.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    logan86
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 13:58:46 (permalink)
    1) I haven't tried that yet, at the moment I'm just installing Komplete 7 which is taking long. But I'll definately try other synths to see if it is everything

2) I definately have the cables connected fine. But here's a question to you because you also own the same unit. Do you find that it is simply insane how tight the fit is of the midi in cable into the back of the motu. It is so tight that I thought I might break it just trying to force it in. And I don't really know how a midi cable could be any smaller. It only has a very thin rubber sleeve around it. So how does your midi cable fit into the back of the motu, if you use one?

3) I haven't heard of that before. I'll check it out as soon as I can when komplete 7 is done installing.

Thanks again for your help beagle as usual :)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 14:02:47 (permalink)
    Do the random notes occur in the same area/octave of the keyboard? Have you eliminated the possibility that it's your keyboard keys that are malfunctioning?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Beagle
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 14:03:06 (permalink)
    I didn't really notice mine being that tight.  if it were just a little snug I wouldn't have noticed, but yours sounds like it is more than just a little snug.  so I would say that mine probably fits fine (although I'm not at home to unplug and replug to verify)

I installed kontakt 4 a couple of times (well, maybe 4 times total) because I had problems with it.  I know IT is a VERY long install.  I can imagine that Komplete is much worse!

logan86
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 14:08:40 (permalink)
    The random notes that play aren't even in the same octave. They are always random high notes. It could be the keyboard, I forgot to mention that it is an ancient yamaha psr-300 that my girlfriend has owned since the early 90's. But I've been using it for around 4 months now and it's been fine up until now. This behaviour has only started since I got the motu.

As for the komplete 7 being a long install, it is extremely long. It's been at least 2 hours already and I'm only on disc 5 out of 8 (edit: it's actually 12 :o ) or something. Anyway I'm a little worried that only my cable is insanely tight. It really was more than just snug, it barely even goes in at all!
    post edited by logan86 - 2011/02/02 14:20:49
    Beagle
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 14:28:34 (permalink)
    do you have a USB MIDI cable you could use and see if the problem still exists?  that might help narrow down the problem too.

logan86
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 14:32:55 (permalink)
    Actually I do. I have a um-1g which is what I had been using with my laptop before I got the motu and moved everything on to my main pc. When this is done (I'm on disk 6 now) I will install the drivers for that and see what happens. I guess that is kind of my last resort. Well actually I only think it's my last resort. Will there be more input latency if I use the um-1g to operate my midi keyboard? And will the latency be significant enough to notice? Or is the motu just so epic that there still won't be any latency?

Also quick question about sample rates. At the moment I'm on 96000hz. Is this problem likely to be helped by trying 48000hz instead?
    Beagle
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 14:40:54 (permalink)
    you shouldn't have any more latency using the um1g than using the motu.  the latency is not caused by the MIDI I/O port but mainly from the soundcard drivers then cpu speed.  you're only exchanging one MIDI device for another by moving from the motu to the um1g.

sampling rate.  ah, yes, I would try reducing your sampling rate.  some softsynths won't work at those higher rates.  I don't know if TP is capable of working at that rate or not, but I certainly would try that first.

logan86
    Re:Midi notes playing that I didn't press!? 2011/02/02 18:55:51 (permalink)
    I have finally got it all working! In the end it was solved by simply using the um-1g instead of the motu's midi ports. Still kind of sucks though that I've had to do that, but at least it's working. As for latency, it seems about the same, which is to say a huge improvement over what I've been used to using for months now. So all in all it's worked out ok. Thanks guys for your help and advice :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1