Midi to audio question

Author
Mr. torture
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
2011/02/12 07:36:37 (permalink)

Midi to audio question

I have a midi drum track that was created using Superior drummer. I have the multiple outs selected so I have control over each instrument in the drum kit.

I would like to render each instrument to it's own audio track.
Example:

Mono track for kick, snare, tom 1, tom 2, tom 3 etc.

Stereo track for High hat, cymbal 1, cymbal 2, cymbal 3 etc.

Do I need to bounce to track one at a time, or can they all be done at the same time?

Thank you!

7 Replies Related Threads

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Midi to audio question 2011/02/12 07:48:38 (permalink)
    I don't use any of those methods. In my experience it's better to solo it's track, open a new one and arm it for record. Then I just playback the solo track and record it on another one. I do this because I have the feeling that the sound is more authentic. Maybe could be the fact that I'm sending the output of my card to a mixer and then back to the card. So maybe theis feel I have is because i add the character of the mixer to my recording. But to me this bounce to track thing is similar to freezing an instrument which is never satisfying to my ears.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Midi to audio question 2011/02/12 07:52:47 (permalink)
    I used to bounce to audio all of my drum tracks when I used EZD or before I had that, Session Drummer 2, etc.  With Superior Drummer it's just way too much trouble, IMO.  freeze does essentially the same thing and makes it easier.  I suggest using FREEZE.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Midi to audio question 2011/02/12 07:56:11 (permalink)
    I suggest using FREEZE

in my opininon FREEZE changes the sound totally. It's good in order to free up CPU power while working but that's all.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Mr. torture
    Re:Midi to audio question 2011/02/12 07:57:34 (permalink)
    The reason why I need to have each one separated and cannot use the freeze feature is because I need to export each instrument as a wave file for mixing by someone else.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Midi to audio question 2011/02/12 08:08:36 (permalink)
    giankap

I suggest using FREEZE

in my opininon FREEZE changes the sound totally. It's good in order to free up CPU power while working but that's all.

I find it hard to believe. IMO Freeze gives exactly the same result as bouncing or exporting in real time. You should give some facts to support your view. You are the first I've ever heard say that, and there's more than a few professional audio engineers regularily on this forum.

To the OP: I haven't tried, but it might be you can export the frozen tracks one by one or even all at once to separate wavs. If that doesn't work, you can copy them to new, independent tracks and then export.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Midi to audio question 2011/02/12 08:40:24 (permalink)
    kalle's right you can still export individual tracks as wave files after freezing.  freeze doe create a "bounced" audio track, it just automates the process for you, so all you have to do to export the frozen drum tracks is select them, solo them if you wish, but it's not necessary unless you don't get them highlighted correctly, then choose FILE>EXPORT>AUDIO
    and in the dialog box make sure you choose the SOURCE CATEGORY and TRACKS.

I selected all 12 tracks of the Superior Drummer of the project I was working on and exported them with source category as tracks and it made 12 separate drum wave files.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Mr. torture
    Re:Midi to audio question 2011/02/12 09:12:00 (permalink)
    Sweet!

Thanks guys!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1