Midi-Out for the virtual instruments?

Author
Slow Mo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2013/09/17 06:26:16 (permalink)

Midi-Out for the virtual instruments?

Hi,

I'm not a new Sonar user but a new member in this forum.
Now I want to use Sonar more often because I have used it in the past very rarely.

Sorry for my English. I'm not a native speaker.

I have X2a on Win7 (64) and want to control the instrumensts (pentagon, z3ta+, and other) by the midi controller BCR2000.

The controling of the knobs is working fine but I can't get the midi data of the knob-settings out of the instruments to the BCR.
In the intrument rack there is an option to set the midi out item of each intrument to true.
In the intruments I can set the Midi-Channel for midi-out with the mouse right click and midi settings.
But it did not work.
In the X2 reference is a discription how to record midi data from the midi output of a softwaresyntheziser.
I tryed this to look if midi-out woks, but it do nothing. No signal.

Has someone an idea what to do? That would be nice.

Best regard,
Slow
post edited by Slow Mo - 2013/09/17 11:02:02

2 Replies Related Threads

Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re: Midi-Out for the virtual instruments? 2013/09/22 01:57:45 (permalink)
    If I understand you correctly, you want to control your hardware BCR2000 by making changes to the virtual instrument (pentagon, z3ta, etc.)?  Unfortunately, MIDI from SONAR is not bidirectional.  That is you can send MIDI data (in a MIDI track) to a hardware synthesizer, but you cannot send MIDI data from a virtual instrument to a hardware controller.  However, you can try using MIDI yoke from this website:  http://www.midiox.com/
    Click on MIDI Yoke in the left column, then click "download" under Contents (fifth item in list).

I have used it to send MIDI data from one sequencer to another with great success.  Maybe it will help with what you want to do.  I am not sure.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker
    post edited by Living Room Rocker - 2013/09/22 03:47:42
    Josh Langberg [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 136
    Re: Midi-Out for the virtual instruments? 2013/10/04 17:36:35 (permalink)
    Hello,
    I think I know the step you are missing in order to control virtual instruments in SONAR with a MIDI controller.
    1. Install the drivers for the BCR-2000, if you haven't already.
    2. Launch SONAR, and navigate to the preferences.
    3. go to Preferences | MIDI, assign and apply the BCR-2000 MIDI In/Out
    4. Navigate to Preferences | Control Surfaces and add the BCR-2000 (Or the corresponding controller layout, should be in the BCR-2000 manual or website) and make sure the input port and output port are set correctly.
    5. Now back to SONAR, you can right click on a control to make it MIDI Learnable, then twist the corresponding knob on the BCR-2000, you should get a message saying the control has been linked.
    6. Once you have the control maps set up for the softsynth, save the BCR-2000 preset, and you should be able to come back to that softsynth at any time to control it with the BCR-2000
    Here is a link describing adding a new control surface.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation/default.aspx?Doc=SONAR%20X2&Lang=EN&Req=Dialogs2.059.html

The transport controls should also work with SONAR once this is set up properly.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for your support!

-Josh Langberg
    PM/QA Lead Engineer, DSP Team
    Cakewalk, Boston

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1