Migrating instruments to new DAW

Author
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
2018/02/08 18:36:06 (permalink)

Migrating instruments to new DAW

Hello all. I used Sonar for many years and got used to some of the instruments and synths, so naturally I want to use a few of them in projects in the new DAW that I use. However the installation process is a bit awkward so I was hoping I could get some feedback. My main queries are in bold below.

Rapture 1.22 - I downloaded the installer from https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Products and got an x64 VST, so no problem
Rapture LE - don't care, as I have 1.22
Rapture Pro - is this a separate product to Rapture 1.22?
Rapture Session - this comes as a x64 VST, no problem - is this a slimmed down version of Rapture Pro?
Dimension Pro - downloaded the installer but it doesn't prompt me for location and doesn't seem to install a VST anywhere. Any suggestions?
Z3TA, Z3TA 2 - ok (VSTs downloaded from My Account)
PSYN II - Is this a DirectX plugin only?
Addictive Drums 2 - ok, product downloaded from XLN
TruePianos - locked to Cakewalk, presumably no (legal) workaround?
AAS Ultra Analog Session 2 - no installer visible in My Account/Products so I don't know how to get this.
Lounge Lizard Session - as above, no installer available. The existing installed VST loads in my DAW but produces no output.
Strum Session GS-2 - no installer available. The existing installed VST loads in my DAW but produces no output.
SI-String/Bass/Drum/Piano - no installer available

Is anyone able to comment on the above?

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks

7 Replies Related Threads

Magic Russ
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 412
    Re: Migrating instruments to new DAW 2018/02/09 05:04:00 (permalink)
    PSYN II is a DXi only.

AAS had provided unlocked versions of the Sessions products, details were on either the Software or Deals forums.

Check Out my presets for Rapture Classic
    http://patcharena.com/dow...5c3a1a706c5f940397d297
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Migrating instruments to new DAW 2018/02/09 15:08:52 (permalink)
    Kylotan
    Rapture Session - this comes as a x64 VST, no problem - is this a slimmed down version of Rapture Pro?

yes
    Yes, it is a DPro, Rapture, Rapture Pro and Cakewalk Sound Center program player. Think of it as a replacement for Cakewalk Sound Center.

Kylotan
    Dimension Pro - downloaded the installer but it doesn't prompt me for location and doesn't seem to install a VST anywhere. Any suggestions?

Probably hard-coded to install in the default Cakewalk vst folder. I use directory junctions to move samples and programs. The dll may be copied to any folder.

Kylotan
    TruePianos - locked to Cakewalk, presumably no (legal) workaround?

The manufacturer offers a discount the full package. Best price is at end of year sale. The full package includes Amber (the model included with SONAR) and several others which some say are much better than Amber.

Kylotan
    SI-String/Bass/Drum/Piano - no installer available

In current versions of SONAR, these are in the Studio Instruments Suite installer. Use the advanced install option in X3 and older to install these plug-ins.
    Kylotan
    Re: Migrating instruments to new DAW 2018/02/10 11:47:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the answers.

I found the AAS offer here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/AAS-Offers-Free-Session-Bundle-Keys-for-Sonar-Customers-m3703426.aspx
    After registering I was able to get keys and installers for Lounge Lizard Session 4, Strum Session 2, and Ultra Analog Session 2.

I verified that the Dimension Pro installer isn't installing anything at all. Looks to be the same problem as in this thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Dim-Pro-15513-install-nothing-happens-SOLVED-m3724812.aspx
    This suggests that the installer is broken as it fails to overwrite old versions, but at least I can probably hack it to work somehow.

I'll keep an eye out for TruePianos offers although now that I have Komplete I probably have more piano instruments than I'll ever need. :)

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Migrating instruments to new DAW 2018/02/10 15:28:29 (permalink)
    If you have DP 1.2 installed run the update. There were no changes to the synth since the 1.5 update, only changes to the installer.
    Kylotan
    Re: Migrating instruments to new DAW 2018/02/10 15:45:24 (permalink)
    The issue is that I want to be able to use these instruments in future, which means having a working installer or access to one, even if I have nothing installed. I have 1.5.0.11 currently installed (as well as 1.5.0.5), the installer in https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Products says it is for D-Pro 1.5.5.16, but it doesn't successfully install it, so I don't trust that it would necessarily work on a fresh Windows install.

If there were no changes to 1.5 except the installer, why do so many versions exist? And if they didn't manage to get the installer working properly at (at least) the 3rd time of asking, what were they actually changing?

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Migrating instruments to new DAW 2018/02/10 16:04:59 (permalink)
    There were several installer changes. The latest installers were made to work with the Command Center. The synth has not changed since the 1.5 upgrade, I linked above. Any 1.5 installer including the ones bundled with the X series have the same synth and content. I did not have problems installing DP but do not recall the installer used on my latest machine, it was some time ago. I know it was not the latest one though.

FWIW, I believe the latest installer checks to see if DP was previous installed. If it sees registry entries it does nothing other than update a flag in the Command Center install data. See http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013416/D-Pro-1-5-5-16-Installer-Update

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Migrating instruments to new DAW 2018/02/10 16:58:03 (permalink)
    Kylotan

yes and yes

just a sec

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1