Mindprint Envoice MkII

Author
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
2006/05/11 13:04:23 (permalink)

Mindprint Envoice MkII

Okay, anybody got any personal 411 on this channel strip? It's priced in the $600 range which puts it in the company of say a Focusrite Voicemaster, Presonus Eureka, Grace 101, etc. It was the 2005 Editor's Choice for channel strip by 'Electronic Musician' magazine, so I assume it's got something going for it...

I saw on another forum where one fellow changed out the standard-issue tube with a Groove Tubes - Mullard re-issue and says the thing is now a beast. I know you guys think the Grace is the bomb, but this comes with a compressor, EQ and of course, tube saturation. According to the EM review, it is capable of clean ("quiet and pristine"), but can also go into the "character" territory.

Anybody know anything first-hand?

2 Replies Related Threads

j boy
    RE: Mindprint Envoice MkII 2006/05/16 19:52:08 (permalink)
    Well, the response is overwhelming to say the least...

I guess I'll just have to offer my own review... I picked up one of these bad boys over the weekend. They're relatively hard to locate; I had to go to Sam Ash in West Hollywood to find what is probably the only actual in-stock model in SoCal, but I got a deal since it was a floor model at $533. Now for the fun... I'm going to give it a little work out tonight and I'll let everybody know what's what.
    j boy
    RE: Mindprint Envoice MkII 2006/05/17 17:16:53 (permalink)
    Well, I gotta say my faith has been rewarded.

Last night I set up a new project and recorded some scratch vocal tracks at various settings with the En-Voice… everything from just running through the preamp only with the other processes bypassed, to full-tilt processing w/ EQ, compression and saturation, and various combinations in-between… and the conclusion is, it’s all good!

This is a very clean, quiet, rich-sounding machine. Did I say *dead quiet*. And squeaky clean, when running just through the preamp. Plenty of headroom. The compressor especially floats my boat. It can be set for inconspicuous control so that the signal is nice and clean but fat. The EQ gives natural-sounding results, and I liked the setting with compression setting V1 and just a little HF boost in the EQ for “air”. The tube saturation is silky and rich, expensive-sounding.

After I had finished laying the tracks down, just for kicks I inserted the Sonitus Delay in the FX bin and pulled up one of my home-made presets, one that I call “Elvis has left the building”, which basically nails the Sam Phillips/Sun Records/rockabilly “slap back” echo. This just knocked me out! The combination was *perfect* for that sound… big and bad.

Based on my first impressions, I’m gonna like this thang. I only wonder why there isn't more of a buzz about these gems? This blows the doors off of anything by Focusrite that I've demo'ed and to my ears it is every bit as rich as that new Presonus ADL-600 (although that is two channels).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1