Mini ITX build. Can it be done adequately?

Author
FlySig
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
2011/04/26 14:01:53 (permalink)

Mini ITX build. Can it be done adequately?

The old laptop is about to die, and it wasn't really powerful enough anyhow.  I'm running Guitar Tracks, and may upgrade to a Sonar product.  Mostly fairly simple projects, something like 20 tracks max, usually around 8 or 10 tracks.  Usually a fair number of VST plugins, and that is what kills the laptop.

It looks like an i3 processor based system would meet the need.  The idea of something small on the desk rather than large on the floor appeals to me.

Budget is pretty tight, ergo no new laptop.

Being quiet is really important because the computer is in the (home) studio.  Can a reasonable mini ITX system be quiet enough?  This is my first build, and though I used to be very computer savvy (programming professionally 20 yrs ago), I'm spoiled by using Mac for normal family stuff now.

Any advice on going this route, or should I resign myself to a mid tower?

Checkout my songs at http://www.soundclick.com/zozobra

5 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Mini ITX build. Can it be done adequately? 2011/04/26 18:49:46 (permalink)
    Any advice on going this route, or should I resign myself to a mid tower?

You can certainly build a mini-ITX based system that'll work well.
    Motherboard choice (due to limited options) is critical... as is the case and PS (due to space and thermal concerns).
    A mini-ITX build isn't as easy as a typical tower... as tolerances can be *tight*.
    You may even need to modify the case a bit to get things to fit.  
    BTW, I wouldn't try to run the machine off the stock 100w PS that comes with many of the ITX cases.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:Mini ITX build. Can it be done adequately? 2011/04/29 00:26:51 (permalink)
    FlySig

...The idea of something small on the desk rather than large on the floor appeals to me...

...Being quiet is really important because the computer is in the (home) studio...
    If it's on the floor the noise will be less noticable.  If it's on the desk it will need to be extra quiet.  Quiet cases tend not to be small and the best cooling components will not always fit in small cases.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Mini ITX build. Can it be done adequately? 2011/04/29 01:34:36 (permalink)
    and the best cooling components will not always fit in small cases.

You may need to "mod" the case to get things to fit/work.  
    The stock PS on my mini-ITX case had to be scrapped/replaced.
    I had to carve the case to fit the large CPU cooler, the video card, etc.
    Certainly possible... but not the easiest of builds

I wouldn't build small form factor for any reason other than portability.
    If you don't need portability, build a small tower.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    FlySig
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    Re:Mini ITX build. Can it be done adequately? 2011/04/29 17:17:30 (permalink)
    Ok, good input.  Portability is a medium issue.  Quiet is more of a requirement than small size.  I see some really quiet components available, like fans, PSUs, HDDs, and CPU coolers.  The added cost looks very minimal.  Sticking to a 95W CPU or less looks feasible, and no video card is necessary I think.  It should be a fairly cool system since it is dedicated to just the studio use.  No wifi or internet connection needed, I'll just ethernet to the iMac when required.

The fun of building small is attracting me, too.

Checkout my songs at http://www.soundclick.com/zozobra
    AVTechman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:Mini ITX build. Can it be done adequately? 2011/05/01 16:58:47 (permalink)
    You could go with a microATX build too, it still has a small footprint as compared to a full size ATX board and you would have more room for a good CPU and case fan.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1