Minimizing Bleed to Vocal Mic in Live Recordings

Author
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
2017/02/14 15:29:44 (permalink)

Minimizing Bleed to Vocal Mic in Live Recordings

Good Day,

Could anyone tell the best way to minimize electric guitar and bass (no drums in this case) bleed from the vocal track of a live recording?

Cheers

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

2 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Minimizing Bleed to Vocal Mic in Live Recordings 2017/02/14 16:56:28 (permalink)
    The obvious one is to get the vocalist to really get close to the vocal mic and like touching it. (kissing!) Then you can turn the gain down and still get a decent level out front. Really vocalists live should be doing this anyway.  Then you will find that the vocal track will be loud and the other instruments will be pretty soft in the background.

Same thing too with the guitar and bass. Record the bass direct, that problem solved, and also mic the guitar cab real close too and you won't get any vocal bleed into the guitar mic either.

Are you about to do this recording or has it been done already. My advice only applies before the fact. Trying to repair this sort of thing after the fact is much harder.

The best you can do though is actually start with the vocal track and get it sounding as good as you can even with the other stuff in there and then maybe just bring a little of the other two things in. You may just get away with that.  Also when putting a high pass filter on the vocal to try and reduce the bass spill use a very steep slope e.g. 48 dB/oct and bring it up to the cutoff freq that gets rid of some of the bass without changing the vocal sound too much.  The guitar is a bit trickier though.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/02/14 17:29:56

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    JohnEgan
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    Re: Minimizing Bleed to Vocal Mic in Live Recordings 2017/02/14 18:02:49 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    The obvious one is to get the vocalist to really get close to the vocal mic and like touching it. 

Thanks appreciate your reply, sadly, working with something already recorded one off, for now anyway. So trying to see if I can reduce this as much as possible, without losing vocal EQ/dynamics. I guess in full mix its not really too bad. I can HP EQ out some bass, but lose vocal low end and experimenting with a gate, but cut off some vocals, guitar is a bit harder, guess Ill have to make due, as its more so for a demo anyways.

Cheers 

John Egan
    Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1