Missing Audio Files from external source?

Author
bargainboy1
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 515
2005/06/03 00:50:20 (permalink)

Missing Audio Files from external source?

Anybody see this error message before?

"Missing audio data from external source. Silence will replace the missing data."

Here's what's going on - I'm importing some drum loops from a loop CD that I've downloaded loops from before. MC either encounters an error and aborts the import, or looks like it completes the download but no audio shows up in the track pane. Figuring I had a bad MC file (I started a new project - let's call it project A - that had about 8 measures of drums already downloaded into it), I closed the file and opened a different project (Project B) - one that has downloaded loops - to confirm that the Project A file was corrupt. MC gave me the above message and there was no audio data in the file at all, whether the data was imported or recorded to the hard drive.

I rebooted the computer (as I was cursing) and re-opened project A. The original 8 measures of downloaded drums were there, but again, I couldn't download any new drums. Back to project B - above message with no audio.

So, cursing again, I rebooted and opened Project B. To my great relief, the entire project was there and played beautifully. So. I backed up everything that I hadn't already and burned it to a disk.

Now, what next. I confirmed that I haven't changed any settings, MC is looking for the audio data where it's stored, I haven't added any new programs to the computer, and nothing is running in the background. I'm about ready to uninstall MC and then do a clean reinstall - unless, of course, you guys can help me out.

Thanks,

Jeff

10 Replies Related Threads

millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/03 11:02:34 (permalink)
    BB Boy - I haven't encountered this message; however, I did find a reference to it relating to Cakewalk version 9 - It may or may not help, but we can hope that it gives you some clues. [Interestingly, it is housed in a subdirectory labeled Music Creator. The same anser is given for Cakewalk Plasma so I guess this may be one of those Cakewalk problems that appears occasionally across the board.

Why do I get a "missing audio has been replaced with silence" error?
    You will receive this error if Cakewalk cannot locate the audio data associated with the .WRK file you're opening.

In Cakewalk, go to Options | Audio | Advanced. Take a look at the Data Directory field at the top. The path you see is the location where Cakewalk looks for your audio data. Mark this path down, and close Cakewalk.

Now choose Start | Find | Files or Folders. Type *.WA~, and make sure Windows is looking in My Computer. Click Find Now, and you'll see a list of .WA~ files appear in the window below. Take a note of their locations. If the path of these .WA~ files is not the same as the path you saw in Cakewalk, you'll need to reconcile that. The easiest way is to use Windows Explorer to simply move all the .WA~ files into the proper location. Once done, your files should open properly.
    (If the Find | Files of Folders does not come up with any .WA~ files, they are most likely lost from the hard drive, and you'll need to re-create your files. )

If the .WA~ files are found and are in the correct location but you still receive the error, there is a way to manually recreate your files. Open a file that gives you the error message. Choose Insert | Wave File, and navigate to the location of the .WA~ files. In the Name field type *.*, and hit Enter. You'll now see all of the .WA~ files listed. You may be able to audition them using the Play button, or you can tell which ones are which by the creation date. Double click on the files to import them into Cakewalk. Once they're all in, you'll need to rearrange them properly, then resave the file.

Hope this helps.
    post edited by millerbill - 2005/06/03 11:10:52
    bargainboy1
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/03 14:44:56 (permalink)
    Hey Miller,

Thanks a lot, that's great information! Can you post a link to where you found that, I looked in the MC support area, but I didn't see anything like that.

BTW, for some reason, all is well today. Go figure.

Jeff
    millerbill
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/03 19:13:26 (permalink)
    Here she be - link send you I. [Yoda talk?]

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/MusicCreator/FAQ.ASP#32

I found this while trying a GOOGLE, something I suggest that all the boys and girls do when confronted with an error message and no apparent Cakewalk help.
    It is a puzzlement why Cakewalk doesn't provide a link to these files that are housed in a 'Music Creator' directory. I suppose some of the answers are old and may not completely work with newer versions - but I doubt it.
    A lot of our "favorite questions" are in there.

Sock your knocks off!
    post edited by millerbill - 2005/06/03 19:23:11
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/03 21:55:00 (permalink)
    come on MB, da boy don't wear socks!!
    millerbill
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/03 23:12:16 (permalink)
    Guess I was smelling something else.

BB be sockless.
    Robomusic
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/03 23:34:30 (permalink)
    Smellin his upper lip!! He He
    bargainboy1
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/03 23:45:17 (permalink)
    Umm....are you guys pickin' on me?

Of course I'm not wearin' socks - it's summer.

Jeff
    millerbill
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/04 01:01:12 (permalink)
    No Way!

Just thought this place was getting a bit too stuffy lately. It was time for some levity or levitation - whichever works.

)))))))))))))))))))))
    Robomusic
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/04 02:01:28 (permalink)
    or
    even some leviathan
    millerbill
    RE: Missing Audio Files from external source? 2005/06/04 10:06:17 (permalink)
    Now that's a whale of a tail. Or is it tale of the whale?
    post edited by millerbill - 2005/06/04 10:14:20
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1