MistyBlane (orchestral)

Author
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
2011/04/25 01:45:14 (permalink)

MistyBlane (orchestral)

I recently finished this piece.
    I have spent a bunch of time trying to make this as realistic and "unmidi" sounding as I could.  I am still no where near alot of other folks but hopefully I am getting somewhere. 
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10331906
Feel free to be honest, even if it is brutal :)
-Mike

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 

22 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/25 15:43:35 (permalink)
    Wow, Mike.  I can hear how much work you've put into this one.  I'm nowhere near where I need to be with 'unmidiing' my pieces, so hopefully the experts will chime in here.  But it sounds good to me.  So many instruments coming and going....lots to hold our interest.  Great work!
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/25 15:48:27 (permalink)
    I think you are on the right track to "unmidifi".  Told a nice musical story without mechanical distractions.  Nice work.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    xxxlambo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/25 17:46:10 (permalink)
    I listened to it twice, as my feelings on it were slightly mixed.  Overall I think it sounds good.  The first 20 or so seconds kind of turn me off, but I stuck with it.  After that I thought it became much better, in fact some of it really clicked with me there.  I don't like the ending though, perhaps it is because I wanted it to go longer, but I checked the player to see if it was buffering or if it was over.  I was sad that it was over.

As for your "unmidi" I think you did a pretty good job there.  I'm by no means an expert, but never did I sit there and think "Hey listen to this guy's keyboard".  I'm sure there are probably a few spots that could be better with the real thing, but overall I think you did a good job.  I really like the drum you are using at the end.  It fits the song well.

Thanks for sharing.
    Matt
    LpMike75
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/26 03:30:48 (permalink)
    Janet - Thank you for the encouragement
    Bret - Thank you for listening and following the story hehheh
    Matt - I appreciate the honest opinion and feedback.  Sorry about the first 20 seconds and main theme part, I'm glad you stuck with it and found something pleasurable later on.  I am also up in the air about the ending, I believe the chords went from CMaj to CMaj7 which is an odd way to end a musical piece.  Thanks again for the feeback.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/26 06:18:37 (permalink)
    Midi? You had me fooled! Great work!

String Jammer
    xxxlambo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/26 11:41:45 (permalink)
    No need to be sorry, what you did was great.  Always remember it is your show, and do what you like.  You will never please everyone, and for me that was the hardest thing to get over.  I have a song that when I played for a few people they just didn't like some of what I did on it.  I went ahead and I tried to change it, took their suggestions and I couldn't come back with something I liked.  While I appreciated the feedback I realized maybe that song just wasn't for them and kept my original version.  After I released the song to a wider audience the song in question ended up being several people's favorite (several others voiced displeasure as well for what that's worth). 

It isn't that the first 20 seconds are bad, it just didn't click with me like the rest did.  Just one man's opinion, but don't be sorry
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/26 12:02:01 (permalink)
    Hi Mike, interesting piece of music and you can hear the effort you put in to this to un-midify it, good job. 

Greetings, Rik
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/26 12:30:02 (permalink)
    The biggest problem with doing any orchestral vst work is the attack. There is simply no way to convince anyone of a big hall and full orchestra and sitting a considerable distance from them with a note that sounds like it is a foot away from you.  Rolling off the highs is one way to accomplish that, another is to work the articulations available, or simply reduce the midi velocity.

That being said, there are some real convincing parts to this.
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/26 23:31:17 (permalink)
    Mike

First off I like the composition. It has some very nice brass work in it.

Realism in midi comes from so many things that some guys work months on a couple minutes of music just to get it right. I don't have the patience for that.

One major thing your instruments are lacking is depth. Depth is gotten mostly through 3 ways (that I do at least). The first is reverb. The farther away an instrument is, the more reverb it usually has. But bass intruments get muddy with too much reverb so go very carefully with them. Next is EQ. Close instruments have more pronounced mid ranges whereas farther away instruments have lowered mid ranges. Play with eg on the Clarinet or Oboe and you can move it back in the mix by lowering the mid range.

Lastly is the time when a note hits your ear. The brain judges relative distances by noticing the time lag when a note hits the ear. The brain takes those millisecond delays and decides an instrument is farther away.

Now for the true lastly.

The relative loudness of the instruments plays a huge part in realism. A flute is never as loud as a trumpet, etc. Listen to lots of recorded pieces and 20 years later (it took me that long) you will get the right levels. Actually I still don't get the right relative loudness between instruments, so maybe 20 years isn't long enough.

NIce work.

Ron

LpMike75
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/27 01:53:41 (permalink)
    Rik - Thank you for the listen and comment

Jamesyoyo- Thanks for the listen and comment.  I mulled over the velocitys feverishly, I am sure there are places that need more work.  I did not play with EQ much, as you and Ron have pointed out some good EQ techniques.  Thank you.

Ron - Thank you for the listen and advice.  I definately could of used reverb more appropriately, but I did not even begin to EQ for depth.  This is a technique I need alot of work on.  Thank you for all the tips!

- Mike
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/27 14:01:28 (permalink)
    Sound great!  You put a lot of work into it.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/27 14:38:04 (permalink)
    I think this is fantastic film music. You've done well with the MIDI but you can nearly always tell, Hey, look the composition is good enough to send to some one who may use it and thus record it with an orchestra.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/27 15:15:28 (permalink)
    Great work!

I get pictures of landscapes when listening to this. In the begging I'm in a murky swamp just before sunrise, and in the end I've ascended up into jagged mountains at sunset!

I can't imagine the tweaking that went into this. What library are you using? The sounds are good, but do you have the option of alternating more between different samples or attack modes for each instrument? Or perhaps you could attenuate some of the transients? Some of the attacks become obviously sampled on quicker passages. The happy upwards glissando (I really don't know if that's the right word for it) on the flute after about 50 secs is kind of a giveaway as it sounds like the flautist breaths each single note like a machinegun, rather than swiping the holes with his fingers.

Love the deep brass and timpani stabs throughout. They send a good jolt through me with my monitors set loud!

Sven

LpMike75
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/27 16:26:41 (permalink)
    Vicente - Thank you for the listen and encouragement.  I definately put some work into it, but have more to do.

Cian - Thank you for the listen and glad you liked the composition.  I have 2 full scores which I someday hope to have played by a real orchestra!  I will have to work on their midi mockups a little more in the future.

Sven - Thank you for the compliment.  I am using EastWest libraries in this one.  SymphonicOrchestraGold-Chiors-Goliath-StormDrum2.  Some of the lines I had multiple samples..for example a single horn line:  attack sample, a vibrato sample then either a shake/flutter or crescendo sample to finish it off.  Or sometimes and attack sample then legato samples for following notes.  I also played with velocity and expression (CC11) heavily.  I am still experimenting and trying to find what is appropriate and realistic sounding which is why I appreciate everyones feedback.
        The flute run you mentioned, I agree.  I doubled a staccato sample with a legato sample, your right, it does not sound natural.  Sometimes it works out decently on string runs, the legato sample by itself seems too weak.  Another checkmark on things to improve on.  Thank you for the feedback.

- Mike
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/04/28 10:05:44 (permalink)
    Mike,

Very impressive composing/arranging skills.  It sure sounds real to me. 
    It was a joy to listen to.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/05/01 12:55:55 (permalink)
    I can tell you (usually) if a guitar is midi but this stuff here sounds very real to me.  From my "unmidi" knowing point of view I couldn't tell you if it was real or memorex.  I believe it is a very nice job and a great composition.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/05/01 13:34:33 (permalink)
    Well, Mike, I see you've already got some great tips from Ron and James.  About the only thing that my ears (admittedly uneducated in the nuances of orchestration) picked up was that some of the brass articulations early on didn't seem totally realistic. 

This being said, I did enjoy the piece very much and felt the composition and feel were very nice.  Honestly, I'm in awe of anyone who even attempts orchestration... it just seems so overwhelming to me.
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/05/02 14:10:56 (permalink)
    I think that spending $50 on ValahallaRoom reverb would go a long way on getting this to sound better, although there's a distinct limit as to how good GPO (?) is going to sound.   I suggest ValhallaRoom reverb because it's cheap ($50), sounds incredible and it has true stereo-in/stereo out routing.  True stereo is a must for orchestral emulations (none of the included reverbs in Sonar have that capability) otherwise the sound stage sounds one-dimensional no matter what you do.

The basics of orchestral mixing are easy.  First, create submix busses for strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion and make sure that things are panned appropriately using an orchestral seating chart.  This may mean having to use four or more instances of Aria or Kontakt, etc.  There are several variations of orchestral seating charts used by different conductors and composers, so you don't have to follow it religiously.

Use a reverb INSERT (not an aux send) for each submix (4 reverbs total).  Start with the same hall reverb preset for everything.  You'll have to make adjustments for each submix.  The instruments in the back of the hall (percussion) will have the most reverb (50% wet) and least amount of predelay (0 ms).  As you come forward, there's less reverb, but more predelay.  For the brass try 45% wet/10 ms predelay, woodwinds 40% wet/20 ms predelay, strings 35% wet/30 ms predelay.

EQ inserts on the submixes can also enhance the illusion of depth.  The basic thing to remember is that the stuff in the back of the hall is the darkest (maybe a 4-6 dB treble roll-off for percussion) and use progressively less roll-off as you come forward toward the strings (perhaps leaving them untouched).

Here's a link to a short snippet that uses GPO4 using the procedure I described above: http://tinyurl.com/3t68r98

J

post edited by jsaras - 2011/05/02 14:39:56

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/05/02 14:17:42 (permalink)
    Brilliant explanation, Jonas. Thank you!!
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/05/02 17:55:56 (permalink)
    I'll play the devil here; as a pop-cronie listener I've begged:  Let orchestral composers try writing pop.  This piece is film-pop ... it is wonderful and splendid to my cronie ears. 

I've only written one 'pure-orchestral', so my comments are 2 cents.  Orchestra seems so ridiculously easy for me ... because vocs aren't involved, I, too, can write one in a few hours, hehe! 

(Just EWQL SD2 performance MIDIs (+/-) .... jamming to them with EWQL stuff.)

I love this piece!  It is vibrant, brilliant, robust, and my clear escape into music-land, without any 'cold calculated turn-offs'.  

This is my fav orchestral (of about 10-20) that I've heard in the last 6-12 months.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    LpMike75
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/05/02 22:28:43 (permalink)
    " border="0" />
    Jsaras - Thank you for the tips.  I am using EWQL, somewhere around 13 instances.  The problem I have using EWQL is that they are recorded pretty wet, adding extra reverb always seems to make it sound muddy to me.  I did slack with the "mix" end of things as I concentrated on the performance.  I used some of the included reverb with PLAY for the parts I added extra on...Percussion for instance.  I will revisit the reverb end of things as well as the EQ suggestions.  I will post a SS of the busses and instances of PLAY I was using below.  Thanks again for the listen and suggestions and suggested reverb settings, those will really help..  My baby was born on Friday 4/29/11 so remixing this will be tough for the next...uh..few years? lol..I am definately getting back to it though.

Philip - Wow, thank you for the compliment and that just boosted my day!  I have written alot of rock and pop tunes as well, they just seem to have different sets of challenges.  I hate writing lyrics and I cant sing for squat,,,this is a great motivator for me to write instrumentals lol.  I hear you about some of the trailor music you hear (not necessarily on these forums) where the person just played a looped section of one of the SD2 perfomances and played staccato 16th notes over it!  That stuff can be fun to wow your family and non musician friends but to me, it doesnt challenge you as a musician and motivate you to improve on your knowledge and skills.   Thanks again for the listen, compliment but mostly I am greatful that someone enjoyed the music.  That's what it's all about.

- Mike
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:MistyBlane (orchestral) 2011/05/03 03:54:56 (permalink)
    hey Mike. main thing is you have the tunes! sounds pretty good to me, some killer writing in this, and the sounds gel well! i think i would have liked a bigger ending, it just kinda ends. some nice advice in this thread too!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1