'Mix buss' versus 'Master'

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2017/08/31 16:00:34 (permalink)

'Mix buss' versus 'Master'

i'm re-thinking bus routing, from the way i've been doing it for years and years.....

how many of you mixers setup your busses going into a 'MIX' buss, and then into a 'Master' buss?

meaning, rather than just using your MASTER buss as the last buss your subs and individual hit,
you route to a buss that is UNDER your Master (master is routed directly to your soundcard or interface)?

I've always routed all my sub busses to the MASTER, which in turn is routed to analog 1/2. (your interface outputs, or soundcard outs)

the idea is, all individuals go to their respective sub buss (ie: all drum tracks go to 'Drum' buss, guitars to 'Guitar', etc....)

if i am going to put, say, EQ and Compression on my Master buss, and mix all my sub busses into the master bus,
does it matter that it's on the buss going directly to the interface output? (typically, analog outs 1/2)

what would be the advantage of setting up a 'second to last' buss that all outputs are routed to,
then having THAT buss routed to the 'MASTER'?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

42 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 16:13:20 (permalink)
    I can see how this might serve to avoid mastering all together if one wanted to boost and EQ the signal before the master buss to mastering levels.  I've done this myself with good results, yet I like to play with my mastering software, so I'm not quite ready to use this method full time.  But, I'm sure this could be a time saver for many people.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    ccm
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 16:31:29 (permalink)
    I've always used a mix/ 2 bus. I route any groups or fx buses to my 2 bus which is then routed to the Master out.
    The 2 bus is set up for any eq's, comps, needed plus console emu main out. That's routed to the the Mater out which is set up with tools for metering, lufs, referencing.
    You can set it up all different ways  with the same results, depends om what type of workflow you're after.

batsbrew
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 16:31:53 (permalink)
    LYNN-
     well, i'm not talking about mastering at all.

only about 'routing' schemes during regular mixing.

i've always mixed into a master buss compressor, set very lightly, for a bit of 'glue'.

but i've always had this set on the 'master' buss, and never gave it much thought beyond that.

if you bounce tracks to stereo (as i do with finished mixes), and use the 'What You Hear' bounce route setting, 
    i always thought it didn't matter what happened before the 'master' buss, only leading into it.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 16:34:36 (permalink)
    ceemusic
    I've always used a mix/ 2 bus. I route any groups or fx buses to my 2 bus which is then routed to the Master out.
    The 2 bus is set up for any eq's, comps, needed plus console emu main out. That's routed to the the Mater out which is set up with tools for metering, lufs, referencing.
    You can set it up all different ways  with the same results, depends om what type of workflow you're after.

i guess i'm calling the Master as the master out.....
    and do not have a 2 bus.

only a 'master', that all my subs get routed to.....

so, you're answer to this question is 'yes, i have a sub-master that everything gets routed to, and then that bus gets routed to the master out.

????

i think my confusion comes from that fact that half the people call the master bus the '2 bus', and half call it 'master', but they are two different busses.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 16:55:48 (permalink)
    Rob,  I see where you're coming from.  However, with this much flexibility there are practical applications that can be utilized if one is willing to "break the mold".  I suppose this could open up a can of worms if done haphazardly.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    ccm
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 17:09:39 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    so, you're answer to this question is 'yes, i have a sub-master that everything gets routed to, and then that bus gets routed to the master out.

????

It's simply 2 bus --> Master bus (a bus) --> sound card Main Out(s).
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 17:37:55 (permalink)
    I for the life of me can't figure out what the difference is. I have used a sub bus for various reasons but I don't see how what you call it makes it anything but another bus. 2 bus in Sonar? I could understand if one has an analog mixer.  

Best
    John
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 17:47:22 (permalink)
    I sometimes have 2 or even 3 "mix (summing) busses" before the Master "A" bus.
    The last one before A (always called "Conductor" and often used for global dynamic changes via vol. envelope) will always contain everything from the other sub busses.
    Before "Conductor" I sometimes have busses named "All but Guitars" and then "All Guitars".
    There have been 2 times that I've had a bus between Conductior and A called "Boost to A".
    I have had projects that have 15 to 20 busses.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    ccm
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 17:50:50 (permalink)
    John
    I for the life of me can't figure out what the difference is. I have used a sub bus for various reasons but I don't see how what you call it makes it anything but another bus. 2 bus in Sonar? I could understand if one has an analog mixer.  

Different workflow for different people & situations.
     As long as your source mix comes out the way you want to hear it it doesn't matter what what you call them or how you have your projects set up.

For me it's easy. The 2 bus does any final processing ( w/ possible fader adjustments. ) The Master bus has tools & the fader never gets adjusted.
    GaryMedia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 17:53:21 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    how many of you mixers setup your busses going into a 'MIX' buss, and then into a 'Master' buss?

what would be the advantage of setting up a 'second to last' buss that all outputs are routed to,
    then having THAT buss routed to the 'MASTER'?

I work this way too. I call that 'just-before-the-last-bus' the MixMaster. It's where I put iZotope Ozone.  It's also positioned in my console view of busses as the boundary between the 'music' busses, and the 'effects' busses. In that way, when Drums, Vocals, BGV, Keys, Egtr, Agtr, etc, get too hot, I can swipe across them right-to-left starting at the left side of MixMaster, and concurrently reduce the faders on them all, while leaving the effects buses' faders untouched. 

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
    http://www.tedlandstudio.com/articles
    Steve_Karl
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 17:53:38 (permalink)
    ceemusic
     The Master bus has tools & the fader never gets adjusted.

Pretty much the same here. "A" always has a brick wall on it set to -.01 dB
    and then finally a Klanghelm VUMT meter.
    The one right before A always has a multi-band compressor on it.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    batsbrew
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 18:40:47 (permalink)
    so, i understand everyone's different approaches fairly well,
    as you all have described them...

i typically have anywhere from 8-14 sub busses...

i'll buss drums, toms and overheads separately very often...
    electric rhythm guitars....
    acoustic guitars....
    i usually have at least two bass tracks, so bass gets a sub.....
    vox sub.....
    keys.....
    and then each effects i use, gets it's own sub...
    delay, verb, drum verb, parallel compression, etc....

but everything gets routed to the 'master' bus, which gets routed to MAIN

i guess the root of my question is, is there any reason to have one more bus before master?
    and keep master clean?

for that matter, if you were smart enough to do it right, and wanted to,
    you could route everything to MAIN and bypass Master...
    is there a preset in the 'bounce to tracks' command?

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Sheanes
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 19:15:35 (permalink)
    I've seen posts saying it's better to not have processing etc on a master bus (the Sonar master bus) as that could cause problems or unwanted things happening, the posts mentioned the master bus was not handling 100% /not designed for processing and it would be better to have nothing on there and the fader at 0 as that bus would be 'talking' to the soundcard directly and the last stage in the chain.
    I have no proof/backup of this but then agian I don't see any negative side to having that clean/zero master bus in Sonar. Afaik it would not have any affect having 1 extra master bus.
    hope this helps a little somehow
    Steve_Karl
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 19:31:45 (permalink)
    My reason for keeping the master "A" bus clean is to be able to accurately read RMS using the Klanghelm VUMT meter. I'll be getting an LUFS meter soon I suspect.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 20:03:50 (permalink)
    I've got a thread asking just about the same question as I'm struggling with my tried and true method of I've always used the multi band LP64 in the Master's Bin. I use it to check how my frequencies are behaving and then often turn it off as I'm not sure having it there is a good idea. 
    I can see putting it in a Pre Master Buss might be less scary but then again I'm not sure this would change anything at all.
    The Master buss is nothing special. It's just another source to the audio outputs.
    You can send a track directly to your outputs.
    Matter of fact I've had plenty of projects that had no Master by default and adding the Master and re routing the tracks made zero difference to the sound.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Steve_Karl
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 20:09:23 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    I've got a thread asking just about the same question as I'm struggling with my tried and true method of I've always used the multi band LP64 in the Master's Bin. I use it to check how my frequencies are behaving and then often turn it off as I'm not sure having it there is a good idea. 
    I can see putting it in a Pre Master Buss might be less scary but then again I'm not sure this would change anything at all.
    The Master buss is nothing special. It's just another source to the audio outputs.
    You can send a track directly to your outputs.
    Matter of fact I've had plenty of projects that had no Master by default and adding the Master and re routing the tracks made zero difference to the sound.

Well ... with it turned on and on the final bus I suspect there might be an issue with getting an accurate reading on your final level.
    Putting it on a Pre bus no problem for sure.
    Then, if your "A" bus has the fader set to zero and is never changed then you know what the level will be.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    batsbrew
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 20:12:31 (permalink)
    Steve_Karl
    My reason for keeping the master "A" bus clean is to be able to accurately read RMS using the Klanghelm VUMT meter. I'll be getting an LUFS meter soon I suspect.

that makes sense.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Cactus Music
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/08/31 23:27:20 (permalink)
    I still don't follow how it would make a difference at all.

I can see with analog gear, But the digital signal path is ones and zeros.
    Where the  plug in goes wouldn't seem to matter in this case.
    Lets use the Multi Band as an example which we will call the processed signal X.

My thinking is if you use a Pre Master buss with nothing on it at all, and route that directly to a Master buss, the Ones and zeros will be unaltered if both are set at unity. There is nothing happening to the signal.

Put the Multi Band in the Pre Master buss bin and it will now do X to the ones and zeros.
    Put it in the Master buss bin and it will still do X to the signal. There in theory should be no difference to the one and zeros. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

batsbrew
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 02:04:53 (permalink)
    it forces unnecessary math.
    if nothing else,
    more busses than necessary, could degrade the audio.
    yes?

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Steve_Karl
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 02:06:36 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    it forces unnecessary math.
    if nothing else,
    more busses than necessary, could degrade the audio.
    yes?

I don't believe so but if you're not sure do a null test.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 03:09:54 (permalink)
    A bus is a bus is a bus, whether you call it "Master" or "Submix" or "Pumpkin Pie". It's a logical summing node, that's all.

I can think of no good reason to have a main mix bus that feeds into a "master" bus. In analog days I'd advise against it for the noise considerations. But in the digital realm there's really no downside, other than making your routing more complicated than necessary. There's just no benefit, either.

My standard setup is to route drums to a drum bus, which is then sent to an Instruments bus along with every other instrument. A separate vox bus is the destination for vocals. Having separate busses for instruments and vocals allows me to automate them independently, e.g. bringing all instruments up 1-2 dB when there's no singing and then backing it down during the vocals. An alternate trick is to apply a compressor to the instruments bus, with the lead vocal as its sidechain input.

If you're adventurous, it can be fun to apply effects to the instruments bus. Try a tremolo plugin there, synced to the project tempo. Or a flanger (think "Itchycoo Park"). When I do that sort of thing, I sometimes route the drum bus straight into the master, leaving drums unaffected.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    rodreb
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 04:51:55 (permalink)
    For me, everything (Drum Bus, Guitar Bus, Vocal Bus, etc.) goes to what I call a Mix Bus, which then goes to a Master Bus, which goes to my hardware stereo out. Typically, as I mix, I tend to end up with too high of a level when it sounds "right". By having everything going to a Mix Bus, I can simply lower the fader on it so my Master Bus is brought back to an acceptable level, yet still retains what I have decided is the "sound" I want . The only thing on my Master Bus is my final limiter. By attenuating at my Mix Bus, I am not destroying any level relationships I have set on any compressors, saturators, or whatever plugs I have elsewhere in my mix. Call me crazy but, it works for me.

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
    https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

Steve_Karl
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 05:12:35 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    But in the digital realm there's really no downside, other than making your routing more complicated than necessary. There's just no benefit, either.

redundant post!
    post edited by Steve_Karl - 2017/09/02 20:59:47

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Bassman002
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 07:49:27 (permalink)
    +1 @Steve_Karl

That's why I have a Mix bus too:)

Bassman

Steve_Karl
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 07:53:39 (permalink)
    bitflipper
     But in the digital realm there's really no downside, other than making your routing more complicated than necessary. There's just no benefit, either.

Everyone seems to work differently so I'll say for me, there is benefit ~~~
    I don't mind complicated routing. It's all visible right there in front of me to see.

With a VUMT and brick wall on the "A" bus set to -0.1dB, and the vol. fader (in splat) set to zero, everything works fine.
    Once I start changing that fader volume with an envelope, especially going into the +dB range, the brick wall is broken and doesn't contain peaks predictably below -0.1dB.
    I learned this at the beginning of using X3e.

That is ~one~ of the reasons why I always have the seconday (or more sub MASTER/Summing) bus(s) before the "A".
    The reason I call the first one "Conductor" is that I often use it to do long term dynamics (vol. envelope) in some pieces. I also always have a multi-band compressor on the Conductor bus.

Putting a multi-band on "A" is not as reliable because I most always fine tune the global multi-band compression near the end of the mix and then need to re-level my final output.
    Easily done, once again with the gain fader on Conductor, but not reliable doing it on the "A" bus
    because it often messes up the brick wall hold back at -0.1dB.

Why do I want to change the volume of everything at the same time, and in different ways throughout the piece and do it simply and quickly?
    To have total control over what I'd call 'long term dynamics.'

Giving a volume swell, or decrescendo, for the whole orchestra, (or any band configuration) more range ... or less ... making that quiet section slightly less or slightly more quiet - making sure the long term peaks
    ( 2 bar crescendo for instance ) have the build up that I want,
    the exact slope that want -
    With that Conductor bus I can shape the long term dynamics quickly
    and very much quicker than trying to do it one section bus at a time.

The brick wall on "A" can be hit a little bit hard and still everything goes no louder than -0.1dB for peaks and everything sounds fine as long as I don't hit it too hard.
    That is NOT the case if I push the Vol. fader up on the "A" bus. It breaks the brick wall.

I can see if the Conductor gets a RED peak but no problem there. It still sounds clean.
    If I want to make sure the piece has its full dynamic range, I can nudge down the gain slider on "Conductor" and let it breathe a little more making sure it might only hit 0 once or twice, or I can let it be bouncing into the +5 or +8 dB range occasionally, and everything still is ok. Maybe a bit hot for RMS ... but still ok.

Then finally if I want to fine tune my RMS output, say to as close to -11.5 dB as possible ... (Klanghelm VUMT)
    ... once again I just fuss with the Gain slider on the Conductor bus and it's easy as pie to get it fine tuned.

An other added BIG perk is one more stage of 4 band EQ in the ProChannel.
    Using the pro channel EQ on the "A" bus messes up the brick wall.
    I've also added, at times, a summing bus before the Conductor to get >>> 4 more bands of EQ,
    or after the Conductor bus, in the case of one piece, where I couldn't get enough output.
    I called it "Boost to A" and well, I also got >>> 4 more bands of EQ in ProChannel.

For "pop" style music it's generally the same. Fine tuning the sections of the song.
    Added final EQ (or 2 or 3) for smoothing etc.

So, obviously everyone works differently.
    I find using the extra busses right under "A" much more time effecient when dealing with big projects.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 09:32:30 (permalink)
    I'm with Dave on this.

Best
    John
    batsbrew
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 14:28:26 (permalink)
    very interesting discussion guys, thanks.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 14:57:48 (permalink)
    I use two. All my instrument sub-group buses (Drums, Gtr, Synths, Vox...) got to a SUBMASTER bus. I usually keep this at -6dB and is where I put all my "secret sauce" master chain fx (saturation, stereo imager, limiter, etc). This bus goes to a MASTER bus that has nothing on it but Voxengo's SPAN. 

I do it this way so I can route tracks straight to the MASTER that might not be part of the project. Like a reference mix for example. 

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Cactus Music
    Re: 'Mix buss' versus 'Master' 2017/09/01 23:26:29 (permalink)
    Yes very interesting stuff. I saw no use at all for the pre master buss, now after reading Steve Karl I think I'm going to try this. It might be what I WAS looking for.
    It has always been the issue for me .
    You get the mix sounding perfect only to find your waay to close to danger in the low and low mid's.
    You end up in an endless cycle of adding EQ to tracks ( or busses) and pulling faders down and trashing what you had happening. So you reach for a  limiter and now your dynamics are squashed... be nice to control this at the Buss stage.  
    I was going to try setting the LP 64 Multi band to have narrower frequency ranges for only the lower frequencies and let the Hi mid, Hi's alone. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1