Mix help

Author
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
2008/05/17 08:14:41 (permalink)

Mix help

I've gont through the mixing tutorial and I'm reading Mixing Engineer's handbook by Bobby Owsinski. I'm getting to grips with the purpose of mixing etc, but I need help using MC4 - where to start etc.

I've named all the tracks to make it easier (acc guitar, midi drums, bass etc) and opened the Console View. I can see each track in a strip of it's own with it's own volume faders, as well as TTS-1, Master Bus, and my soundcard's output volumes left and right faders.

This leads me to the next question - what on Earth do I do now???

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass

24 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/17 08:20:39 (permalink)
    start by adjusting the volumes of each track to sit in the mix as well as panning - where you want each instrument to sit in the mix.

then move on to adding FX as desired to each track, or to a bus.

BTW - you should have all outputs eventually going thru a master bus. if you don't, you'll likely have problems with clipping. watch the master bus for your final output you don't ever want it to go over 0dB, but before you add a limiter to the FX bin of the master bus, you'll want to mix everything so that the master bus volume is at -6 to -3dB max.

you might also want a reverb or FX bus to route SENDS to for FX. but make sure its output also goes to the master bus.

experiment. try things. trust your ears.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/17 11:02:02 (permalink)
    The way I generally mix is to do all my tracking...get it right and than mix it... I set all tracks output to a master buss. everything funnels into & through that buss/channel in the mixer in MC4. there are advantages to doing this...

1. You have ONE fader that easily controls the volume or all tracks. the individual tracks still control their own levels with their faders, but....If I hear my wife calling from another room, i can pull that one fader down, to hear her.
    2. You will insert your compressor & other final mix effects into that one track instead of haveing multiple instances of the same effect in 10 different tracks....this saves big time on processor power & cpu cycles.
    3. You can also elect to not have certain tracks in the master sub mix.... I have left the bass out in some tunes because it has more "presence" in the final mix straight. that is up to you.

That is generally as far as I go in the mixdown process. I have found it to be sufficient. The big danger in mix down/mastering is often doing to much as opposed to not enough. Add effects ONLY as needed.
    On the song Corridors (soundclik site) I added just a touch of HF exciter to the lead vocal. All tracks were 100% dry as recorded. The guitars were recorded with the delay in the tracking....but otherwise 100%dry. All tracks were sent to master buss where a tiny bit of compression & reverb was used....both dialed back considerably. All meters were kept out of the red/clipping during the tracking & mixdown. I don't remember if the bass was in the master buss or not....I think it wasn't. It was dry.

For a more detailed mix.... you can set up a 3 layer approach. layer 1 tracks....layer 2 sub mixes of like instruments, layer 3 master mix.

The use of master or sub busses will be a good thing... if you have 4 vocal tracks for example...set up a sub buss called vocals sub or something you can ID real easy....send all the vocal tracks to that "sub buss" and then send the sub to a master buss.....

Think of it like a tree...all the similar things....vocals...guitars... go into a sub buss. that sub buss outputs into the master. This is handy if you want a special FX to be on just the guitars...ot just a bit of high end boost on the vocals but not the horns.... This can be as simple or as complex as you need.

edit: like Beagle said...trust your ears. mix it, post it, ask for comments, get feedback, learn....repeat....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/05/17 11:24:11

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rob.pulman
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/17 13:39:45 (permalink)
    Lots of info here guys thanks, will be trying to get it to sink in.

In my Mixing Audio book it keeps telling me too ensure that all frequencies in the song are represented - can I get a visual picture of the frequencies in a song?

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    Beagle
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/17 13:50:08 (permalink)
    yep.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/SPAN/

install it as a VST FX in a track or bus bin.

rob.pulman
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/17 15:27:54 (permalink)
    Thanks, it says though that I've got to download a corresponding set up archive -

"In order to setup this product you will need to download its corresponding setup archive to the computer you are planning to use this product on. After download is complete you should unpack ZIP file you have downloaded into VstPlugins folder - the one which is connected with audio application you use and where this application expects VST plug-ins to reside (it is also suggested to create 'Voxengo' subfolder there, and unpack archive there instead of the main VstPlugins folder). After this has been done you will need to order your audio application to rescan plug-ins, or if that option is unavailable you will need to re-start this application"

Does this mean that I just download the file and unpack it or is there something else as well?

Beagle - sorry but I'm really quite green when it comes to the VST/Plug-ins etc - how do I install it as you recommend?

Alsoam I correct to assume that all my tracks are automatically assigned thru the master bus, or do I need to do something to assigne them thru there?
    post edited by rob.pulman - 2008/05/17 15:48:02

Stoojo Music

Beagle
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/17 15:34:22 (permalink)
    That just means to download the file, unzip it into the SHARED VST folder (in the C:\PROGRAM FILES\CAKEWALK\MUSIC CREATOR 4\SHARED VST)

then you'll need to run the VST scanner for MC to pick it up in the menu options.

as far as tracks automatically assigned to the master bus, MAYBE. you should always check.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/17 15:54:35 (permalink)
    Yes, always check. Generally, the default will be to have the track output going to your sound card when you first insert a track, and you need to manually change it to master. However, you may have a project template set up that automatically sets the track outputs to master. I still double check, to be safe.
    Here's a post I did on working with buses. It was for Guitar Tracks (a Sonar variation, very similar to MC), and the screen is a little different, but the system is the same. Buses can be confusing to grasp, but hopefully the pictures help.
    Working with Buses

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 00:03:51 (permalink)
    On the subject of a visual analylizer, I'm wondering if you really need it. Music is an audio experience, and mixing, the addition of eq, reverbs, etc., are all better left to the ear. I have only used the visual analyzer once or twice, just to find an annoying buzz or hiss or hum.
    The initial reasoning was to spread your sounds across the frequency range. Beagle has a chart that shows the frequency ranges of some instruments, but, you could just use your ears, and common sense. Bass, kick drums, lower toms, all are in the lower range. Violins, cymbols, most horns, higher range. Piano and acoustic guitars ride across the whole range, from low to high. In the mix, you may at times use eq to carve a little off the bottom of one instrument or the top of another, in order to give some space for a different instrument to shine through in the same general freq range. But, you have to be careful. Filtering out all of the highs on a kick drum might hide the snap of the hammer hitting the head, or the sound of the click of the pedal, parts you didn't notice, but are important to that sound you liked before you started adjusting it. Bass guitar, or upright, has a lot of higher harmonics that are important to the sound. The snap of a snare, the mellow of a violin, all can be lost if you start looking at the visual output and applying eq according to that alone. Also, if you work an instrument in solo to sound great, you may find it sounds wrong in the mix.
    I guess the point is, mixing can be very time consuming, you have to be willing to listen carefully, for more than just volume, and work instruments in groups, use panning to help provide space for competing instruments. It is not "rocket science", it is time consuming. I will work a mix of 5 or 6 instruments for hours, more instruments get grouped to busses, busses get grouped, effects are added at various stages, so time is necessary. You need to learn to listen with different ears, mixing engineer's ears. But looking at the spectral output does not seem to do anything but isolate an annoying sound, in-frequently.
    Of course, all that is just my opinion, and I can send you my work flow, I've detailed it out in some different places, all I need is a little time to compile the thoughts, if you are interested.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    rob.pulman
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 07:31:16 (permalink)
    Yep I see what you're saying gamblerschoice it's just that the book I'm reading refers to this often, and I'm very curious to see what my stuff looks like - what a conflict looks like etc, and hopefully it will help me understand more of what at the moment, to be honest, seems like voodoo lol.

BEAGLE - I've installed the SPAN VST and opened it. When I select audition, I just get one note playing? I try the help button but nothing opens up.

Stoojo Music

Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 08:19:51 (permalink)
    Albert--that extremely detailed post above doesn't sound like it comes from someone who is supposedly tone deaf!
    Beagle
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 08:34:38 (permalink)
    great post Albert!

Rob - did you insert SPAN into one of your tracks' or bus' FX bin (AUDIO only, not MIDI tracks)? also, I don't know what audition button you're talking about because there's not an audition button on SPAN (at least not on the version I have).

rob.pulman
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 08:49:22 (permalink)
    Yea beag I've now inserted it in the audio fx bin for the acoustic guitar part (that's the only audio track in the song) Here's a screenshot....what does it mean lol?

[http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk318/rpulman/SPAN.jpg]

By the way I tried to get the screenshot directly in the post, but it didn't work.

Stoojo Music

Mamabear
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 08:51:55 (permalink)
    Rob--about the screen shot--once you've got it in photobucket, copy the URL (direct link it's called), paste that into your post, highlight it, click image (above the post) and put your link between the two words 'image.'
    rob.pulman
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 08:53:11 (permalink)

Stoojo Music

rob.pulman
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 09:02:07 (permalink)
    Mamabear once again thanks

Stoojo Music

Mamabear
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 09:03:57 (permalink)
    You're welcome! And you're doing great! If Reece would have answered my question about mixing the way he did you, I would have said 'huh?!" In fact, I probably did often enough that they learned to dumb down their answers for me! I'm glad you're getting the hang of this stuff so quickly! It's a great addiction! lol
    gamblerschoice
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 12:37:35 (permalink)
    What you are seeing is exactly what you would expect from an acoustic guitar. The lower frequencies, from 80 to 500hz, are louder, but not as active, suggesting mic placement problems, or possibly eq settings on input, unless you are recording dry, which could also indicate the properties of the guitar itself, ie., a Martin has great bottom end. The mids are active, at a good ballanced volume and typically even through out, and the the highs are active, but not at the same volume as the lows and mids. Again, possibly mic placement, instrument properties, or eq settings on input.
    But, what does this really tell you, and how does it help? If there was a spike around 60 hz, you would know you had a hum from electrical backgound noise, or a spike at the 10k+ are would indicate a hiss, spikes at the 100hz area would indicate a low end rumble. All of those would be evident to the ear, and adjusted with eq.
    If you did a screen shot of the entire mix, at an area of the song that is close to peak volume, the spectrum would show a "u" shape, with the high ends of the u at the low and high points, the mids at the trough, or lower area. This might make you want to boost the mids in the eq, but that could create a "muddy" sound, as too much mid range often does.
    Not sure what the books are telling you, or why they emphasise "even" frequency saturation, but in all the information I have had access to, the bottom line was always..."trust your ears"
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 12:40:28 (permalink)
    Most 'Audition' buttons play a short clip of the selection, as little as a couple seconds.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Beagle
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 13:52:53 (permalink)
    Albert to the rescue once again! I couldn't have said it better myself!

just to reiterate - the comment about having all the frequencies in the song are represented - that means you have to look at the output of the song - i.e. the master bus in order to verify anything about the frequencies of the whole song.

rob.pulman
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 13:59:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the detailed answers, and I know there's plenty of other people want questions answered too - so apologies if it looks like I'm hogging it.

Most of what you talk about comes through experience and there's no shortcut for me there, worse luck. I'll read everything, try and take it in, and keep at it.
    post edited by rob.pulman - 2008/05/18 14:19:37

Stoojo Music

gamblerschoice
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/18 15:02:14 (permalink)
    You are not "hogging" any of the attention here. In fact, you may be asking questions that others are having trouble articulating, or maybe think there are no real answers to. Ask anything, most here are happy to reply. Unfortunately, I see questions here that I would like to respond to but don't have the time to get into when I am just cruising through. It comes to one of those quotes I remember, who said it first, I don't know, but, "we teach best what we need to learn the most", sometimes an answer to a question helps re-define the concept in my mind, makes it more solid and forces practical application.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    rob.pulman
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/25 09:49:58 (permalink)
    Trying my hand at the console view at the mo to see if I can spruce up my little acoustic ditty.

In my master bus I've got the Voxengo Oldskoolverb and the MC4 FX compressor. Due to my being so unsure at this point, I'm trying all the presets and tweaking anything that stands still, listening to the various differences (big and small). Reading lots about it too, thru all the posts, mixing tutorials and books/internet.

First question is the order of effects application, i.e. is it a chain? Which effect get applied first by MC4 in the master bus. Starting from the top down in the master bus FX bin I've got the reverb, then the compressor. Is the compressor compressing the reverbed signal?

Second question - if it is a chain, what should the order of effects be in the master bus?
    post edited by rob.pulman - 2008/05/25 09:50:38

Stoojo Music

Beagle
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/25 13:48:49 (permalink)
    the way MC works is that the FX in the top of the bin get applied first, then in descending order. yes, the compressor would be compressing the reverbed signal

as far as which FX should be in which order;
    if using a limiter is should ALWAYS be the last thing in the bin. compressors are going to be useful both ways, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

typically I'll compress a track first, then EQ, then reverb, then limit (if necessary). but there are many ways of doing many differnt things to accomplish different sounds

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Mix help 2008/05/25 14:45:07 (permalink)
    One way to fix that EQ problem is if the guitar has an active pickup, is to plug it into one track and mike it on another, adjust the built in EQ on the guitars pickup, to be a bit more trebley, and mix the two tracks to taste. Also drop the span in the FX bin after a good multiband EQ and adjust till you get a better balance. Lower the bottom end and boost the upper bands.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1