Helpful ReplyMixbus 4

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/25 03:38:54 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
mudgel
From the literature it seems like there are 2 different products.
Mixbus 32 v3.7
In march Mixbus 32c v4.0 will be released for $299
The 2 desks were different the 3232 and the 32c

Mike there are only two products.  Mixbus is one and Mixbus32C is the other.  Like Bapu says 32C is the big brother.  They both offer that fabulous Harrison console sound though so Mixbus will get you right into the action.  (And it is often on special for a very low price as well) 32C has extra buses and a wonderful EQ on every channel like the original Harrison console did.  I am so tempted.  It is quite a lot more expensive but there is a way to get it for $99.  By joining the monthly subscription type thing first.  You can opt out though if you want although it looks like it might be something good to be in anyway.

Mixbus is stable for sure.  No issues with me at all.  A good trick is to create a folder and only put a copy of the third party plug-ins in there that you think you may need and then get Mixbus to only scan in that folder.  To be honest with the lovely EQ's on the tracks, buses and the master buss and the built in dynamics there is not a lot of third party stuff you actually need.  The Harrison plug-ins are great too.

Also Mike I have been in Ballarat now for a year so I would love to catch up and meet sometime if you are up for it.  I have got to Tony (Webbs Hill) so far and been very glad that I have met him too.

Hi Jeff, I thought that's what I said. The are two different products. They are based on the Harrison 3232 and it's big brother the 32c

I've been with Mixbus since its start. It's interesting but not for me.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/25 05:01:35 (permalink)
Tried again, this time using Kontakt instruments and all OK. A bit of a learning curve as I am so accustomed to Sonar but I like the "console" look and feel. I haven't looked at the manual yet so I figure things will be much easier once I have looked at one of their overview videos. 
ZincTrumpet
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/25 10:32:11 (permalink)
Did some audio recording with the demo of V3.7 today and it worked fine and seemed pretty painless.

When you start it up it makes you start the Audio engine manually every time. Does anyone who has the full version know if that happens automatically in the full version?
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/25 15:50:34 (permalink)
Sorry Mike I did not realise you were comparing to the actual Harrison hardware.  Yes I know that the Harrison M32C software would be based on the M32C console. I have only used the M32C itself in reality teaching sound engineering a few years ago at a certain college. And it has that lovely EQ of course.

So maybe the Harrison Mixbus software is based on the 3232 which maybe the case except I have not seen that actual console so not sure.

I only have Mixbus but the audio engine does not have to be started only that when I first boot up I get a dialog box confirming that it is going to use my audio interface and I click on yes for that of course and then it boots up fine. Is that what you are talking about? I would not call that having to start the audio engine every time. It is no big deal.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/25 16:49:07 (permalink)
yes, 32c has 2 initial dialogues that have to be closed in order to move forward.
annoying.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/25 17:47:21 (permalink)
timidi
annoying.

hardly at all to me.

What is more annoying is when upgrading versions and after a full successful scan of all my plugs, all subsequent opens of Mixbus have some considerable lag time on a few plugs such as EW Spaces and the three instances of Kontakt.
ZincTrumpet
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/26 06:21:06 (permalink)
timidi
yes, 32c has 2 initial dialogues that have to be closed in order to move forward.
annoying.

Yes I find it a bit unnecessary...

1. Run Mixbus
2. Popup about license (presumably goes away when you register)
3. 5 or 6 popups which appear momentarily and disappear (maybe to do with different sample rates/inputs on sound interface?).
4. Popup to start a new session or continue and existing.
5. 3 or 4 popups which appear momentarily and disappear (maybe to do with different sample rates/inputs on sound interface?).
6. Audio/Midi setup dialog - shows my Audio i/f as stopped - so I have to click "Start" and wait approx. 10 seconds for it to say "running"
7. Click OK and we are finally in to the program.

Why not just automatically run the Audio i/f every time?
Jeff Evans
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/26 06:59:10 (permalink)
This is not how it is. Mine is registered of course.

I only get two popups. Once I double click on the Mixbus icon I get the first popup which asks to continue with a previous session or start a new one etc. On clicking OK I get the second which details the interface etc. My audio engine is also stopped at this point but I simply ignore that and click on OK and everything is normal from that point. If I am reopening a session or starting a new one the audio engine is running as soon as the main page comes up.

2 seconds in total for me and it is certainly no big deal. Not considering what happens from that point on. Magic usually.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
ZincTrumpet
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/26 07:16:19 (permalink)
Maybe a configuration thing? 
Also I have Loopbe which installed as part of Liquid Notes and Autotheory both of which generate a lot of extra MIDI inputs and outputs. I will try disabling some of those and see what happens.
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/01/26 11:55:01 (permalink)
ZincTrumpet
timidi
annoying.

Yes I find it a bit unnecessary...

1. Run Mixbus
2. Popup about license (presumably goes away when you register)
3. 5 or 6 popups which appear momentarily and disappear (maybe to do with different sample rates/inputs on sound interface?).
4. Popup to start a new session or continue and existing.
5. 3 or 4 popups which appear momentarily and disappear (maybe to do with different sample rates/inputs on sound interface?).
6. Audio/Midi setup dialog - shows my Audio i/f as stopped - so I have to click "Start" and wait approx. 10 seconds for it to say "running"
7. Click OK and we are finally in to the program.

Why not just automatically run the Audio i/f every time?

I'm a licensed Mixbus user so some of that has already been taken care of ...my comments are for your last comment .. 

I use Mixbus 3 on 4 different computers . 2 Mac's w different OSX versions and 2 Win 10 PC 's ...
The routine you mention is no big deal IMHO ....I don't seem to mind ...I'm in and out within 20 seconds ....
I'm using 3 different audio interfaces over here ....( none are high end except for the Apogee)  a Focusrtie 2i4, an  Apogee or a Yamaha ...
I have taken Mixbus 3 projects that were started on PC and brought them over to Mac .
I have also done the reverse by starting a Mixbus project on Mac using only an Apogee interface.
When Mixbus 3 did it's little configuration dance all was well when I brought  my project over to Windows ..
All my Mixbus projects have ended up going between both platforms PC and Mac....
This happens only because I may have used a different computer than the one I started my Mixbus session on .
In all cases of bouncing around my Mixbus projects across different computers , OS's,  and sound-cards , my projects have always played fine

all the best,

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/01/26 13:17:27

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

ZincTrumpet
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/05 06:45:01 (permalink)
Thanks Kenny,

I went for it in the end.

The "NO-BRAINER" price coupon code of MB3-SAVE40 still works BTW if anyone else is interested (thanks Larry for this).
Jeff Evans
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/05 12:59:58 (permalink)
I still would not rush in and put 4.0 on your system and expect it to be perfect. When there is a major revision like this there is bound to be some teething problems. Wait for 4.1 etc.. You will find they will sort out quite a few things even in that first update after 4.0

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/07 17:40:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/02/08 04:55:22
ZincTrumpet
Thanks Kenny,

I went for it in the end.

The "NO-BRAINER" price coupon code of MB3-SAVE40 still works BTW if anyone else is interested (thanks Larry for this).

Hi ZincTrumpet,

I'm glad you went for it

Like a few folks around here, I have been using Mixbus since V 2.5 ...
I'm really happy with Mixbus 3 .7 .20 . This version performs very well on both my PC's and Mac's

I second Jeff's suggestion ...use Mixbus 3 and wait until MB 4 has been battle tested VIA the users ....

Now here's where we get a little sticky in this conversation ...
I shoot from the hip so I'm gonna offer you a couple of suggestions....It's your choice , if there is value in my suggestions too you great ..if not Oh well....

IMHO, Mixbus is so much deeper as a musical program than people give it credit for ..
I sure fell into that camp for a long while myself ...
 At first , I did the Mixbus thing like everybody else . My Mixbus workflow started with importing SONAR & Logic stems into Mixbus and doing Mix's. Then I got into seeing how far I could get with starting and staying inside Mixbus for a whole project . For a while there , Mixbus 3 , the early versions  were a little unstable as it worked out the kinks ...thankfully I can say I'm very pleased with how Mixbus 3 .7 .20 has been running on my systems ...

OK , having said that , here's my 2 centavo's ....

Mixbus has some phenomenal audio editing and analyzing tools .They are every bit as good and maybe even a lot better than what I have found in SPlat , Logic , Samplitude , ect ect ...
I found this out a little late in the game only because I was so busy doing mix's and working with stems I had not taken the time to dig a little deeper under the hood ...

My suggestions to you are while your enjoying learning your way around Mixbus VIA doing the intended things you plan on doing in Mixbus ....put a little time on the side  into just importing  a small clip of a loop or part of a mix so you can put a little time into discovering some of the things that Mixbus can do ...
It is a lot  deeper than most people give it credit for
here are some quick screen shots of a per clip editing / dialogs I just did ......all of these are per clip

notice the mud in the 30 to 80 Hz range...
this clip is an Orchestral section and I never would have "found it " because my monitors can't play it...

Audio Pitch Transpose

Loudness and spectral  on a single clip

Snap to

This is only the tip of the iceberg there is so much more ....

FWIW , In my case I learned more about Mixbus by simply taking one or two clips at a time and just poking around with the menu's to find out what can be done in Mixbus ...
The day I found out that Mixbus could Time stretch was the day I decided to try out this type of learning and approach ....

good luck , I hope you enjoy M B ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

ZincTrumpet
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/08 05:01:38 (permalink)
Thanks for all the info Kenny. It's certainly a capable DAW for very little outlay.

In my research on extracting "stems" from Sonar to import into Mixbus I found lots of YouTube videos on the  capabilities of Mixbus.

I am usually cautious about new versions of software so I will wait and see what happens with v4 before doing any upgrades etc.

Cheers
ZT
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/11 13:54:18 (permalink)
The just got The email. Mixbus 32c US$99 for 3 days only.

http://sites.fastspring.c...32c?coupon=3-Days-Only

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/18 12:37:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/02/18 16:51:47
I got Mixbus 32C last week on discount and I *LOVE* it.  I've done seven mixes in seven days, so that's a testament to getting good sounds quickly.  I love the track management and I'm now trying to see if Sonar will do the same thing.  Also love the console, EQ and compression, favorite plugins all right there together.  It's been really stable for me also and their forum has been great so far.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
bapu
Jeff Evans
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/18 17:35:38 (permalink)
The thing I like about it (and this applies to Mixbus as well) is the console sound is simply built in.  No console emulation is actually required because the whole program is built around the built in console emulation hence the Harrison console. 

Mixing stems is a good place to start and then individual tracks too. There is a lot of built in stuff to take care of your mixes. EQ, dynamics and tape saturation. Plus the Harrison plugs are also cool too.

TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/18 20:07:53 (permalink)
What's the easiest way to migrate a Sonar project?

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
Jeff Evans
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/02/18 22:34:29 (permalink)
One approach might be to export the audio from where your buses are e.g. drum buss, guitar buss, vocal buss, keyboard buss etc.

If there is EQ and/or compression on a buss, you may want to try turning these things off and exporting your buss signals without any processing.

Import the buss exports into Mixbus and re apply EQ and compression either on the tracks or send a track to a buss and apply it there. In Mixbus the track, buss and master EQ are all slightly different.

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 01:44:55 (permalink)
Just downloaded Mixbus 4! Couldn't pass it up for the $39 upgrade price. Can't wait to check it out!
pentimentosound
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 02:09:52 (permalink)
I just got the Mixbus 3 update email and $39 seems like a good idea..... .
Thanks to all, especially Kenny for all the info/feedback.
Michael

i7 4790k 4Ghz 16gb+4HDD, Win10, ASUS G74s Laptop i7 2670QM 2.2ghz-16gb, Win10. CbB, Mixbus4, Studio One3 Artist, Z3ta2, RapturePro, GPO5, GS2, EP4, IK TR5, AT4, MP2, Melodyne Stud4, PSP(22), PS kits, BFD2, GA4, 18i20, PreSonus MP20A(BurrBrown), ISA One, Warm Audio WA76, ADK Thor, M160, RAB1, MA200, MA101fet, E100s, e835, EquatorD5, YSM-1, GoldDigger, CherryPicker, Kurz K2500, Aura Spectrum, ControlPad, PRRI, 17 ac & elec gtrs-mandos+bass, lap steels, banjo, fiddle, harmonicas+perc
Leadfoot
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 02:17:40 (permalink)
I just sent an email to support. It appears that they changed to an online activation method. I don't have the internet at my house, other than my phone. I hope they can help me. I wanna check out the new features!
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 06:44:29 (permalink)
Leadfoot
I just sent an email to support. It appears that they changed to an online activation method. I don't have the internet at my house, other than my phone. I hope they can help me. I wanna check out the new features!

having a look at the latest manual, it appears that licensing is still the same i.e. you need to copy your license file into your root user directory ... i believe all this is online activation does is copy there for you ...

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/mixbus4-live-manual/1/en/topic/all-platforms

bapu should know, he installed yesterday ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Leadfoot
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 13:50:09 (permalink)
Thank you Rob. I appreciate it!
bapu
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 16:40:15 (permalink)
Still the same but now you enter a link in startup (one time) and it installs the license file for you.

I'm guessing this is because some people just couldn't read the instructions. It's kind of simpler now.
bapu
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 16:41:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby clintmartin 2017/03/03 17:28:49
BTW, they fixed the crash when trying to use EZKeys. YAY!
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 18:08:00 (permalink)
Looks like the Mixbus 32 C V4 is coming in mai ...

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Leadfoot
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/03 19:28:33 (permalink)
Thanks Bapu. I downloaded the license file and will try to activate it tonight. Appreciate the help!
pentimentosound
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Mixbus 4 2017/03/04 15:00:18 (permalink)
Does anyone know how the "intro sale price" is good for? I'm thinking I don't want to pass this up.
Michael
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1