MixbusTV

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2017/03/09 16:08:28 (permalink)

MixbusTV

I'm a sucker for mixing and mastering videos, but the experience is often akin to watching political news: I end up yelling at the screen "that's BS!". Many are guilty of regurgitating "common wisdom" that may be based more on urban legend than science. Even some that are mostly on the money still require you to keep your skeptical hat on. 

So it's refreshing when you come across a YouTube content creator that gets it right 100% of the time. After watching a half-dozen of this guy's videos, I haven't caught him even once in a technical error. His presentations are clear, logical and well-structured. The Russian accent takes a few minutes to tune your ear to and he'll never get a job narrating a Nature special, but the content is solid.

Here's an example, which although mis-titled (it has little to do with mixing on headphones), offers a practical technique for analyzing your mixes and comparing them to references.

This one's more typical of his lessons, which usually concentrate on a single mixing trick. It shows how to use a vocoder to make a crowd chant. Pretty cool.

69 videos here

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

16 Replies Related Threads

sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/09 16:26:54 (permalink)
    Yes I've been watching Mixbus TV for a couple of years and have learned a ton from it. He really knows what he's talking about and also has some really cool little tricks up his sleeve as well. It was from him that I learned to stop pass-filtering the lows out of tracks too much and to bring them down with a shelf instead. He talks about things in a lot of detail as well and isn't afraid to put out a 20 minute video of just him talking on some topic or issue.

By the way Bit I think he's Italian, not Russian...at least if you go to the Facebook page of his Rockstar Rockstar Studios, it's written in Italian. I had never considered Russian...when I first heard him I thought he might be Brazilian because his accent is similar to a Brazilian friend of mine. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    bitflipper
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/09 20:37:10 (permalink)
    Yeh, it's the kind of hard-to-place accent typical of someone who grew up elsewhere but has been speaking mainly English during his adult life. I guessed Russian because he sounds a little like this guy:

My Stuff
    greg_moreira
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/11 04:21:26 (permalink)
    he definitely has some gems out there.  the most recent one I watched was his video on high pass filtering.

it was eye opening to say the least.  the phase issue is just not something I was aware of, and its the type of tip that really motivates you and makes you want to hop behind your rig and remix some things to see what you hear.

its never a bad thing when you see an idea or concept that makes you go whoa...I need to get behind the monitors and see what this is all about right now.
    mikedocy
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/12 04:06:01 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    I haven't caught him even once in a technical error.

LOL.
    Watch the video where he compares the API2500 hardware to the waves plug-in version.
    The plug-in has the "attack" time set to .03 while the hardware has the "attack" time set to .3.
    You can clearly hear the longer attack time of the hardware; it makes the hardware sound better.

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/12 18:48:34 (permalink)
    What a fantastic find ...Love that first video
    Super informative in an area I need to look into and get better at .
    I can probably do the EQ thing with what comes in SONAR  ..
    The other plug where he was able to isolate the sound stage from mono to extreme stereo has me stumped ...
    What plugs would you use ...for that or even both ... 
    Does anyone here have suggestions on how to accomplish this type of workflow in SONAR ? 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/13 11:58:40 (permalink)
    I've been binge watching these vids for the past few days.  Some very good tips in there.  Great find. 

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/13 14:34:57 (permalink)
    In my experience, emulations are cool, but never exact.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    bitflipper
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/13 14:37:33 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    ...The other plug where he was able to isolate the sound stage from mono to extreme stereo has me stumped ...
    Does anyone here have suggestions on how to accomplish this type of workflow in SONAR ? 

Any M/S decoder that lets you solo mid and side independently will do. Here are some that you may already have:

Channel Tools will do it, but lacks solo and mute buttons. You have to turn down the mid or side gain to hear just one or the other.

The free MSED plugin from Voxengo makes it a little easier because it does have mid and side mute buttons.

The Ozone equalizer also lets you solo/mute mid and side independently. This gets closer to what's in the video because you can also solo individual bands.

I'm sure there are many others.

My Stuff
    sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/13 15:52:43 (permalink)
    Native Instrument's "Passive EQ" has a Mid/Side mode with solo buttons too. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/13 17:59:56 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the suggestions on what plugs to use 
    This type of workflow is an area of working with a DAW that I think I will need to investigate a lot more .

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/13 20:23:00 (permalink)
    bitflipper

The Ozone equalizer also lets you solo/mute mid and side independently. This gets closer to what's in the video because you can also solo individual bands.

such as the LP EQ in Platinum
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/13 20:55:25 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Any M/S decoder that lets you solo mid and side independently will do. Here are some that you may already have:

Channel Tools will do it, but lacks solo and mute buttons. You have to turn down the mid or side gain to hear just one or the other.

The free MSED plugin from Voxengo makes it a little easier because it does have mid and side mute buttons.

My favorite these days: MUtility in the freebie bundle from Melda Production.  Does more than all the other free ones and is very easy to use.
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/15 09:17:24 (permalink)
    Thanks much for this post Bit. I just watched 2 hours of MixBus TV and was reminded very clearly how important taming the peaks is. I also want to start apply saturization in lieu of compression where it might be appropriate. 
    Good stuff. I like his attitude and presentation. 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/16 11:38:25 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    kennywtelejazz
    ...The other plug where he was able to isolate the sound stage from mono to extreme stereo has me stumped ...

Hi Dave,

First off I have to thank you for taking the time to go here and offer your suggestions to me on where to start 
    Before I was like hey thanks everybody . I hadn't tried this yet and was looking forward to giving it a go ...
    SO far I got Channel tools to approximate that end of the workflow  ...Mid Side ...as you mentioned. Yes  I have to fiddle around a bit ...with that part I seemed OK because I already have the C..Tools . Admittedly , it had sat and collected dust for a while , now I'm finding a good use for it LOL..( i need to check if I have the MSED)

I went through all the stock EQ's that come w SPlat including the Mastering Quality ones...
    I need to figure out how he was able to slide the EQ around while he was hunting for the known areas to check with out loosing or changing the EQ curve or Q bell...that part has me stumped ...
    I'm almost tempted to just use the pro channel for the real time read out and just use a multi band compressor  in a non compressor mode to solo the band / frequency spectrum ...
    I'm still open to suggestions

thanks ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

bitflipper
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/16 15:45:59 (permalink)
    Try LP EQ. I don't use it, so until Steve mentioned it I was unaware that it, too, supports M/S encoding. Click the Expert button to see the stereo/MS option.

My Stuff
    PAL Music
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: MixbusTV 2017/03/16 17:55:48 (permalink)
    I too really like MixBus TV() , Dave is super knowledgeable and often cuts through a lot of misinformation about mixing like the High pass everything except for drums and bass by default rule. He's currently doing Q&A video's, where he's taking questions from YouTube posts.   I also like some fairly new channels like Rob Maze Home Studio Center () and Jason Moss Behind The Speakers ().
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1