Mixdown fadeout

Author
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
2011/01/04 19:29:09 (permalink)

Mixdown fadeout

What's the best way to create an end-of-song fade-out in Sonar? Simple enough question but I'm not too savy on production techniques yet. And I've found next to nothing in the help files.

In the real world you control fade-ins and outs with the "mains" fader. Why can't this be done in Sonar? It seems sinple enough to be able to automate the mains but I don't see a way to do it.

I've tried the 'volume envelope on every channel' bit. --- Too tedious.
I've tried the 'send each channel to a bus, then each bus to a master bus with a volume envelope. Then send the master to the mains' bit. --- This really cuts down the output signals of each channel making it sound muddy. When I bring up the levels to regain the sound loss the meters peg out.

Thanks for any help,
Steve

11 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/04 19:43:38 (permalink)
    Ignore the main main outs at the far right of the screen in the console view and set up a Master bus that sends to them.

Then you can just put an envelope on your master bus and make your fade.

best regards,
    mike

soens
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/04 20:04:56 (permalink)
    Thanks. I'm already doing this as stated in paragraph 3, line 2 above. So if this is the only way to do it I'll have to live with it I guess.

From a mixer point of view, using a 'master' bus kind of negates the mains making it almost pointless to even have them at all since they really don't do anything but separate the L/R channels.

It would be cool if they could be automated.

Steve
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/04 21:02:04 (permalink)
    These should not be applied till the near end of mastering. You should be applying the fade to the final mastered mixdown (before dithering, after eq and dynamic processing). In this case, you only have one clip to apply the fade to so it's pretty easy to use slip fades or automation or envelopes. Whatever gets the type of fade you want. Often a straight linear fade doesn't sound quite right.

I don't know what you're going on about with using a master bus and your mix going muddy. It shouldn't make any impact on your sound whatsoever. If you are bringing up the levels on that master bus and the meters are in the red, you need to re-mix your mix and bring the levels of everything down. Just to make sure you're not making a mistake here, are you using sends when routing to the buses/master buses, or are you using the track outputs (you should be using this option). If you are using sends, then things aren't going to work as intended. Sends have other purposes.

Those mains outputs can just be ignored. I never use them. Some people might like to, I don't. Just route it all to a master and be done with it. I think the idea of having them there is flexibility. If someone likes them, they are there, if not, you just ignore them. Easy!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/04 21:23:18 (permalink)
    soens

Thanks. I'm already doing this as stated in paragraph 3, line 2 above. So if this is the only way to do it I'll have to live with it I guess.

From a mixer point of view, using a 'master' bus kind of negates the mains making it almost pointless to even have them at all since they really don't do anything but separate the L/R channels.

It would be cool if they could be automated.

Steve

Honestly, I couldn't follow what you were saying up there so I just cut to the chase.

with regards to

"From a mixer point of view, using a 'master' bus kind of negates the mains making it almost pointless to even have them at all since they really don't do anything but separate the L/R channels."

That's exactly what it does... but what you are not accounting for is that these have never been more that purty pictures in the silly console view. Those pictures are metaphors for your sound cards actual gain stage... and you can't stuff anything into that stage using SONAR so you might as well ignore them.

If you adjust your main outs you are actually adjusting your actual sound card by proxy... some devices will respond on the hardware and you can see the levels track on the device as you adjust them within SONAR.

The standard advice is to use your sound cards driver or hardware knobs to set that stage at optimal playback level and then never touch it again... or until you want to.

That is why I suggest the Master bus which you may use as SONAR's actual master output. Then you have all the power of SONAR at your disposal.

If you work in Track view you will NEVER see the main outs... they are on your sound card.

I set up a master bus as soon as I start a project and never touch my main outs. I have them calibrated to my playback system.

The console view is made to make people feel like they have a mixer... in this day and age I believe it anachronistic to use a console view in a DAW... but many people still prefer to do so. I think the silly, useless, main output picture that you see in the Console view is just one example of how inefficient it is to cling to a not so old metaphor. Recall that the channel strip format console is only about 40, maybe 45 years old out in the *real* OTB world.

Anyways,

Have Fun!!!

best regards,
    mike
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2011/01/04 21:26:35

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/04 21:32:07 (permalink)
    I don't normally fade a song...kind  of like they did a lot in the 60's.... but I do use the FADE to pull everything down together quickly to eliminate 8 things ending at different times.

I insert a volume envelope in the master bus to pull it off.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    soens
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/04 22:11:50 (permalink)
    That might be it. I have an EFECTS bus and a DRY bus. Each track is sent to one of these buses. The EFFECTS and DRY buses are routed to a MASTER bus with a volume envelope fade-out.

Apparently some of the tracks sent to the DRY bus also had a send to the EFFECTS bus. Is this what you mean? I guess the DRY bus is redundant and can be omitted and just send those tracks right to the MASTER bus.

Like I said, I'm not too savy on this stuff yet.

Thanks,
    Steve
    cobusco
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/05 01:57:37 (permalink)
    Steve

I route all the track outputs to the master and only add sends to the tracks that needs to go to the fx bus. There is no need for a dry bus.

Cobus
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/05 10:41:05 (permalink)
    Tracks can be sent directly to the "master bus" or routed to auxillary buses w/ effects.  These buses are sent to the master, too.  The master should be the only bus sent to a card output (except if you are using external hardware effects - but that is a different subject).  What you hear in from the card output is what you get.  Now when you do automation on the master bus everything gets affected by the same amount.  I'm not sure why your mix would change soundwise w/ your current routing.

I listen to each track and put an fade out on it.  Sometimes there is amp noise etc. and leaving or fading it makes the song end more naturally.  It shouldn't be too time consuming, unless you have 80 tracks going.  I don't usually fade out the master, but, if necessary, do that during mastering.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    BretB
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/05 12:19:08 (permalink)
    I usually do my final file edits in Audition.  That is where I will trim the blank audio off of the front and end and do my "fade out" there.  This is also where I will dither and convert file for mp3 if needed.  Just my work process, may not be perfect.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
    https://soundcloud.com/bret575b
    lasaxman
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 273
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/06 11:37:27 (permalink)
    To the OP, what Limiter, and Multiband compressor are you using? Make sure there is NO PROCESSING after your Master Bus. If your Master Bus is feeding into any other bus that may have a Multiband Compressor, you're going to get muddying of your sound when you turn that fader down, because your levels aren't reaching the thresholds that the Multiband is requiring to kick in. I've had this happen to me before using Ozone 3. I had a fairly low-volume string part at the beginning of a song, and it would seem to jump back and forth in volume and clarity. I could not figure what was going on, until I started messing around with the Multiband Compressor Thresholds. Just something you may want to check. Hope this helps.....

Jason

ASUS P7P55D-E, Intel 5 2.8 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 2 UAD-2 Solos (version 5.8), Focusrite Sapphire Pro 24DSP, Dual 22'' LCD, M-Audio Axiom 61, Cascade Fathead, Universal Audio Twin Finity 710 Preamp, AlphaTrack, Sonar PE 8.53 
    soens
    Re:Mixdown fadeout 2011/01/07 19:16:35 (permalink)
    "If you work in Track view you will NEVER see the main outs... they are on your sound card."

Actually, you can... You can't select them from the TV but you can left click them in CV then go back to TV and see them in the lefthand column. Weird, huh?!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1