Mixer

Author
linkrunner
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/06/19 21:57:29 (permalink)

Mixer

Dear Group,

I use Sonar (currently version 2XL, but am considering upgrading to 6), and have a fine audio interface. But I'm not liking mixing using the mouse and monitor. I'd like a mixing board that I could connect to my PC (USB?), with which each fader would control a track within Sonar. I've browsed around quite bit, but the only USB mixers I've found that seem capable of "linking" their faders with Sonar are also audio interfaces, which (1) makes them more expensive and (2) probably would conflict with the one I'm using.

Does anyone know of a good USB fader that would do the trick?

Thanks!

9 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/19 22:20:46 (permalink)
    You dont want a mixing board, you're looking for a control surface. Something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCUpro/

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/20 10:37:16 (permalink)
    Please don't take this the wrong way. But if you don't know the difference between an mixer and a control surface, it may be a little early in your producing career to unload $1200 on a control surface.

Just trying to save you from wasting money on something you don't need. But if money is of no object then ignore this. Mixing with a mouse and keyboard, and envelopes, and automation, is by far superior in capability and flexibility to mixing with a hardware controller. True, you could use both. But it's just such a frivalous waste of $1200 which could be much better spent on several nice microphones, or maybe a new instrument or something useful.

My $0.02 for what it's worth.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/20 11:42:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OffAnAirplane
    Mixing with a mouse and keyboard, and envelopes, and automation, is by far superior in capability and flexibility to mixing with a hardware controller. True, you could use both. But it's just such a frivalous waste of $1200 which could be much better spent on several nice microphones, or maybe a new instrument or something useful.

Wow! That's kind of harsh to say that it's a waste of money to buy a control surface. Many people do find them quite useful. I wouldn't suggest a newbie rush out and get one but it's false to say control surfaces aren't useful.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/20 14:44:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: themidiroom

Mixing with a mouse and keyboard, and envelopes, and automation, is by far superior in capability and flexibility to mixing with a hardware controller. True, you could use both. But it's just such a frivalous waste of $1200 which could be much better spent on several nice microphones, or maybe a new instrument or something useful.

Wow! That's kind of harsh to say that it's a waste of money to buy a control surface. Many people do find them quite useful. I wouldn't suggest a newbie rush out and get one but it's false to say control surfaces aren't useful.

I didn't say they weren't useful. I just think for a newbie there are a lot better ways to blow $1200. And I'm speaking from personal experience. I bought an FW-1884 way before I had a clue what I was doing. And I lost a lot of money when I sold it about 3 months later. Not saying this guy won't be different, but as a newb there are a lot more things you need before a control surface. I mean, if your best mic is a Studio Projects C1 and you unload $1200 for a control surface, you need to re-evaluate your priorities, assuming that your ultimate goal is great sounding audio productions.

I know you use and love your Mackie-U and that's great. But you've been around the barn and knew what you were getting into before you bought it. That was an educated decision. I'm just trying to save this guy from making an uneducated decision, and regretting it later. He can always get one later. I'm just suggesting that he familiarize himself with all the capabilities of mixing within the software so he can decide whether or not he really needs a control surface before buying one.

Again, as I said in my previous post, this is just my personal opinion, based on my personal experience. Just trying to save him some money and frustration.
    post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2007/06/20 15:44:17

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/20 15:15:22 (permalink)

I'm just suggesting that he familiarize himself with all the capabilities of mixing withing the software so he can decide whether or not he really needs a control surface before buying one.

Again, as I said in my previous post, this is just my personal opinion, based on my personal experience. Just trying to save him some money and frustration.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes a lot of sense. A control surface is not something you buy when you don't have mics or if you need a better sounding guitar.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/20 17:43:40 (permalink)
    I'm loving my Alphatrack. Bought it used for $150.00 and the seller paid the freight.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    OffAnAirplane
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/21 08:43:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

I'm loving my Alphatrack. Bought it used for $150.00 and the seller paid the freight.

Something like that I can see, even for a newb.
    If I did more recording I would definitely own one of those, or something similar. Well, actually it would probably be a Tranzport, like the one I just sold you. I just don't do enough anymore to justify it.

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/21 20:05:25 (permalink)
    i would think a control surface would be for guys who cut their teeth riding faders. typically i'm either dialing in broad changes (like making something on the chorus louder) or doing a lot of intricate gain work (like on over-dynamic vocals). in both cases using the mouse seems like a better plan, but if you've got golden fingers i guess there's no substitute... =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Mixer 2007/06/21 21:49:50 (permalink)
    IF you are just starting out with this, don't blow a wad of money on a an expensive contol surface. Try getting a Behringe BCF2000, this works great with Sonar 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. as emulating the Mackie Control Surface. The BCF2000 is about $200.00 off of ebay, but you will deal with other folks bad set-up if you buy from ebay.

I the BCF2000 for a while until I bit the bullet and moved on to Mackie. Below is the You Tube link for a BCF2000 Demo Video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNh5dfrGYSY&NR=1

Alpha Track single fader controller is great for Sonar 2 - Sonar 6 too; It's about $200.00 also.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxFjohY5WNc

Below is the Famous Mackie Controller. This is about $700.00 only from this sight. Other places still sell if for $999.00. If you get it, It's ok to go reasealed...trust me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrP8PGSmCYQ&mode=related&search=

Purchase at a low price ~~> http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACCONTROLUNI

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1