Mixers

Author
LENovik
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2017/06/21 20:32:02 (permalink)

Mixers

I have a Mackie mixer, 14 channel, which I've been happy with. However, I would like to find a mixer with more outputs. The Yamaha mixers seem to have a good price point for a 20 channel unit---about the same price or less than a good 16 channel Mackie. However, many years ago I had a 4 channel Yamaha mixer which horrified me once when instead of plugging in to that Mixer, I plugged my headphones into the headphone jack of the synth I was using. The sound was  incredibly  more crisp, telling me I was losing a lot of treble with the mixer. Of course, that was years ago on a much less expensive mixer. Lastly, are there any opinions out there about an Allen and Heath mixer--say a 20 channel one? I hear they come with Sonar software, so I guess it's possible they would blend in nicely with my Sonar software.
Thanks.
LNovik

10 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/22 01:09:32 (permalink)
    The issue you had points to something was not cnneced properly, or even bad cables. Bad cables can kill your hi end. 
    I have used most of the major brands of mixers and there is very little difference in sound quality if any. People who say " wow I just bought this Brand X" and the pre amps sound 10x better than my old Brand Y mixer"  are not being very scientific. 

I was in the market for a small mixer so I went into a big store which had them all and asked for a pair of headphones and a SM 58. I was mostly just previewing the built in effects. All the boards sounded the same to me but the effects are widely different. I bought the Yamaha based on the quality of the effects and it's routing options. 
    I have also bought a small Mackie mix 8  because it had the perfect routing for what I needed but has no effects. It is supper small and I don't always need effects for some gigs.  

I was in a band last year and we bought a 16 channel Yamaha which one the bang for the buck shootout at that point in time. It was a great board for being very simple to set up and use. 

I really like Soundcrafts Signature boards if I was shopping for analog That would be my 1st pick. Things are always changing and right now there are some great buys on digital mixers. They often give you more in/outs for the money than analog. But then you need the get the hang of mixing with software. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

LENovik
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/22 14:06:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that Cactus music was a store and that, when ready, i would just buy a mixer from you---but it seems like you do not  run a store.
    If I could pick your brain a little more: the Mackie mixers come in 2 models: the ones with the supposedly better Onyx mike preamps (VLZ models), and the models with effects and the new Vita mike preamps (ProFX), which are significantly less expensive. With the ProFx, I could get an extra 4 channels (20 instead of 16), for less money.
    Would you also think that the difference in perceived quality would be negligible, as you seemed to say on your last note about mixers in general. I ask this because, as I said, I already have a Mackie, and it might be less of a learning curve compared  to getting a new brand.
    Thanks again.
    LNovik
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/23 23:05:08 (permalink)
    Yes Cactus Music was a full service music business including retail, back in the 90's. I still ran some of it's service, live sound and recording when I joined this forum. I just last year had my last client for recording and all I continue with is playing live. I play with different groups and on my own so we are always upgrading stuff. The last band I was in had an vintage 1990's Mackie board( sorry I never remember model numbers, ever)  It didn't have enought Aux for our in ears monitors and the effects where pretty useless so I wentshopping , this was 2 years ago.I like chose the Yamaha only because for the price it had the correct in/outs and the effects were better. any how everything changes and Mackies are still great boards. 
    The only way to see if those pre amps make a difference do like I did and go to a store and compare them. 
    But I would guess the more you pay the better they will be,, If you can hear a difference: )  I would not be able to guess. My little Mackie Mix 8 must use the cheaper pre's due to it's very low price point but it sound real good to me. My acid test is to plug in headphones, and turn the gain up past 3 o clock.. Some boards get real noisy. My Mix 8 doesn't. I use it instead of my Scarlett pre's as example of better quality. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/06/24 14:58:03

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/24 16:29:39 (permalink)
    If you look for a mixer also consider the latest behringer digital mixers. Extremely good value for what they cost and they come in many different sizes ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/24 16:29:41 (permalink)
    If you look for a mixer also consider the latest behringer digital mixers. Extremely good value for what they cost and they come in many different sizes ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/26 12:01:14 (permalink)
    Rob[atSound-Rehab]

+1 I am using the XR-18 as an Interface 18 in/18 out.  It is also a digital mixer (it's primary function) and uses PC/IOS/Android for control.  More info here:
    http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital-Mixers/XR18/p/P0BI8

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/27 14:26:18 (permalink)
    Me too, I'm flabbergasted how much you get for the money. 4 FX buses, a main bus and 6 mono aux buses, plus an 18 channel interface with zero latency monitoring and 16 preamps.

It sounds pretty good live too.
    patm300e
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/28 11:13:41 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    Me too, I'm flabbergasted how much you get for the money. 4 FX buses, a main bus and 6 mono aux buses, plus an 18 channel interface with zero latency monitoring and 16 preamps.

It sounds pretty good live too.

Have not used mine live, it was a replacement for Presonus Firepod when I shifted to Windows 10.  Presonus abandoned driver development a while ago for the firepod.  It was their first interface.
    It does have nice Preamps on it and is very flexible in terms of routing.  Coming from the analogue Mixer world (MACKIE 1640 with the fire wire card), the digital routing takes a little while to wrap your head around.  Basically a signal can be sent anywhere there is a point of input.  The routing diagram is here:
    http://behringerwiki.music-group.com/index.php?title=12._Block_Diagrams, but is still confusing until you use it for a while.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/28 19:29:40 (permalink)
    I agree there!

Interesting trick (mostly for live) is that if you have channels to spare you can actually duplicate channels from a single input. E.g. set channel 1 and 2 both to input 1, then you can use one to feed the front of house and another one to feed the lead singer's monitor who might want their voice EQd differently than you want on the mains.
    patm300e
    Re: Mixers 2017/06/29 11:07:02 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    I agree there!

Interesting trick (mostly for live) is that if you have channels to spare you can actually duplicate channels from a single input. E.g. set channel 1 and 2 both to input 1, then you can use one to feed the front of house and another one to feed the lead singer's monitor who might want their voice EQd differently than you want on the mains.

Hey, that IS a nice trick!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1