Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
2004/12/29 08:55:40 (permalink)

Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it?

Thought I'd start a thread where we can all discuss how we are mixing down, what sort on sonic imagery we are going for, and what is working well.

Things I think would be good to add (but not limited to):

* - Software that you mix with (added on edit)
** - Stereo tracks or Mono?
* - Bussing
* - Control Surface vs Mouse
* - Monitoring (technique and equipment)
* - Effects (type and settings)
* - Spectrum Analysis
* - RMS measurement
* - All-Digital or Digital/Analog
* - Sonar views (ie mixing in Track View vs Console)
* - using Compression (per track vs bus)
** - what type of music do you record?

TIA for all contributions - I think these types of discussions could help keep topics off the Sonar Forum that should be here (once people know to look here)

EDIT: on a suggestion, it might be a good idea to provide links to some music that illustrates your experiences/successes.

EDIT: ** added 1/2/05
< Message edited by SteveJL -- 1/2/2005 2:32:58 AM >

52 Replies Related Threads

SiriusLiMusic
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/29 17:23:13 (permalink)
    Okay, I can start us off, I need to give my ears a break anyways.

* - Bussing- love it. I use it for almost all my effects and compression when mixing, and for eqing groups of things sometimes as well. I like to leave most of my recorded tracks dry with the exception of eq, and then blend them in with 100% wet mix from busses. Ive typically been using no less that 8 busses for a mix, depending.
    * - Control Surface vs Mouse- All mouse. I cant afford a control surface and am not sure if I really need one. Im pretty comfortable with just a mouse and key board.
    * - Monitoring (technique and equipment)- I monitor on M-Audio BX8 powered speakers. Just stereo, no surround . I use Sonar 3.1.1 currently, with a Motu 2408 MK3 as my interface. Generally I monitor at a mid to low level and crank it up every once in a while to get that perspective.
    * - Effects (type and settings)- anything and everything, when its needed. I like to use a light choursing on cymbals/drum over heads and on vocals some times. I use a shot delay on vocals, snares, and some times guitars ( a new trick ive been playing with). Reverb on vocals, snare drum and accoustic guitars as well as guitar solos.
    * - Spectrum Analysis- not very often, i know my room and what Im hearing, i get messed up trying to "hear with my eyes".
    * - RMS measurement- I use peak + RMS metering and have become a big fan of the PSP vintage meter set so 0=-20 db (thanks Jonas)
    * - All-Dgital or Digital/Analog -all digital once its in the computer
    * - Sonar views (ie mixing in Track View vs Console) I get a rough mix with the console view and add most of my effects and busses there, then fine tune and edit in the track view.
    * - using Compression (per track vs bus)- I like to compress while recording, before the audio hits the converters. If I need compression during mixing I usually add one on a buss and route the track I want to compress to the buss. I believe this is called "New York" style compression. For vocals, kick drum and bass, I might use a per track comp, depending on what needs comping.

Well thats the basics on how I do things. BTW, SteveJL, great idea for a thread, I hope it works out!

~Ryan
    SteveJL
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/30 06:53:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting that Ryan.

My stats:

* - Software that you mix with....I use Sonar 3PE

* - Bussing...I have just started getting into Bussing, and generally use separate busses to organize effects and apply them to specific elements (perc/kbds/pads, etc) and specific effects (bus for reverb, etc)

* - Control Surface vs Mouse....still mixing with a mouse but plan to add a C/S soon

* - Monitoring (technique and equipment)...when mixing, I use my near-fields (Alesis Prolinear 720 DSP) at low and mid levels, use h/p's for detail checking, and burn test CD's to check on other systems

* - Effects (type and settings)...I use the effects that came with Sonar at this time mostly because they suit my skill level for now and adding more would just make it more confusing. For now.

* - Spectrum Analysis...have not learned to apply this effectively yet.

* - RMS measurement....same again that I have not yet learned to apply this effectively. For now, I just use the Master Meter to make sure I am as high as possible without clipping.

* - All-Digital or Digital/Analog....all-digital for now.

* - Sonar views (ie mixing in Track View vs Console)....I do everything in Track View.

* - using Compression (per track vs bus)....I apply Compression lightly, and per-track.

BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/30 11:31:06 (permalink)
    * Sonic Imagery: Whatever takes the song past notes, lyrics, and performance and turns it into an emotional experience. Each song is different, of course, but this is the general perspective that gets me started. But this goes well beyond mixing, it starts with planning, arranging, tracking, and then mixing and anything that follows. This is the foundation that everything else hinges on. Miss this one, and it doesn't matter what you do with any of the rest of it, IMO.

* Software; Sonar 4PE and Adobe Audition. I've been using Audition for mastering-type tweaks, EQ, compression, that sort of thing, but I'm finding the control of the onboard EQ with 4PE to be a lot more controllable and the Kjaerhus plugs are quite noticeably better than the compression and limiting available in Audition, so Audition doesn't get a lot of mileage much anymore.

I've also been bouncing back and forth w/ Sonar and Audition as to who is burning MP3, but intend to start using the LAME encoder because at this point I'm not fully happy with either of the other options.

* Bussing: In my mind, bussing is the keys to the mixing kingdom. I'm bussing to control volume levels on groups, to add effects to groups, to EQ groups (particularly BGVs)... What I haven't been doing a using a lot of sends, and I've just recently realized that I could get a lot more mileage from bussing via sends.

* Control Surface: ShuttlePro v2. Other than the jog/shuttle, it's next to useless. But then again, all I wanted was the jog/shuttle. My personal goal at all times is to use the mouse as little as possible.

* Monitoring: Behringer 3282 mixer driving Event 20/20p's primarily plus the occasional car stereo, crappy laptop speakers, home stereo, that kind of thing. I'd like to get some NS10s in here and some really, really wacked out computer speakers that I could switch to interactively, but that hasn't floated to the top of the budget yet. Love the 20/20s and this mixer is just about perfect for what I'm doing. As to technique, I don't do anything out of the ordinary (usually): Rough mix, then solo each track, find it's relative placement in the mix (EQ-wise), then pan it where it belongs. Tweak and adjust to achieve the sonic objective, then add effects to flavor. That's a gross generalization of course, but then again it's just basics.

* Effects: As little as possible. My primary outboard is an Alesis MidiVerb 4, which has a couple of great room reverbs that sound cleaner than any software reverbs I've used, though the Pantheon properly tweaked is definitely a contender. Thanks to K-v-R my software effects list is humongous, but I'm not using much of them at any given time. Of course, a song here or there will require that one special thing that -- at that time -- I'm glad I have something specifically for it, but generally speaking the less effects the better. Again, though, it's all a matter of achieving that all-important sonic vision.

* Spectrum Analysis: I'll throw a spectrum analyzer up every now and again on a listenback of a main mix just to see if there's anything really egregious going on, particularly in the mids. After a few hours my ears start to lose a bit of sensitivity to certain frequencies, so it's cheap insurance to keep from sending out a roughie that's, well, embarrassing.

* Metering: Still learning. I've been trying to incorporate the PSP vintage meter, but so far the normal metering has been a lot more responsive. Thanks to Jonas, my whole approach to metering is under renovation. (That's a good thing, btw.)

* Digital vs. D/A: Everything's recorded via Sonar, no ADATs or external media. I do use the MidiVerb outboard and I have an equalizer and BBE 462 outboard between the mixer and monitors to adjust the monitors for the room. Okay, the eq is for the room, the BBE is just for fun and impressing prospects.

* Sonar Views: For mixing, the track view, almost universally. I've played in the console view, and it looks cool for clients, but generally speaking I like the preview picture in the track view a lot better, being able to sight upcoming markers, etc. Just a lot more information in that view.

* Compression: Little as possible. I'll compress where it's needed, and only as much as gently necessary. And currently I'm in love with the Kjaerhus Classic Compressor so despite having a half dozen other options, this one gets my vote nearly every time. The Classic Limiter on the final mix is also a nice touch. I do periodically use a light 3630 as an insert on main vocals and bass occasionally, but hopefully when my bass gets back from the shop (complete electronics renovation) I won't need the extra punch from the compressor.

I have this theory that says "there's a time and a place for everything, and it's not always and it's not never". It's applicable to a lot of areas of life, but particularly mixing. There's a time and a place for every effect in the sandbox, there's a time and a place for none of it, and every shade in between. The bottom line is understanding the sonic vision and then building the end product around that.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/30 17:10:45 (permalink)

* - Bussing
    * - Spectrum Analysis
    * - RMS measurement

Well, here's what I am starting to follow as a pretty set routine:

+ I convert all my soft-synths to audio and record in my external MIDI synths as audio

+ I create the following busses: VOCALS, BASS, GUITAR, DRUMS, SYNTHS, AMBIENCE, REVERB, DELAY, EFX (this last one is usually flange, but could be anything)

+ All busses go to a SUBMASTER bus that has the Inspector spectrum analyzer on it. This feeds to MASTER, which is routed to my main outs

+ I monitor on KRK RP-5's... love 'em. I usually write on headphones and move to monitors for mixing, this way I can work late at night until the end

+ I use the track view, the console view has always been too much work for too little return for me. I have 2 monitors so all the plugs and synths go on one, the track view on the other

+ I usually add compression on the busses for drums and bass, unless a specific track needs special attention. Verbs and Delays are sends from the busses usually, although I have added them at track level for finer control

+ I start with rough levels and once they're just about right I create volume envelopes on tracks to duck and bump in critical parts. I like to try and wait until the fine tuning for that since it's a pain to adjust overall levels once there's envelopes in there. I don't really use offset mode at all

+ I mix in passes, trying to adjust several tracks at once (if not all) in finer detail as I go. The only exception is drums, since my drums have absurdly large track counts, I'll try and balance them all out first

+ On my DRUM bus, my BASS bus, and my VOCAL bus I'll add PSP's Vintage Warmer, because I LOVE IT! each one tweaked differently for the instrument and the track of course. I usually end up adding one on the SUBMASTER bus too, but not always. Sometimes I'll use Waves Rennaissance Compressor for the vocals instead if it needs subtle tweaking.

+ once I start fine-tuning the levels with envelopes I start getting jiggy with the efx sends. This usually sends me back to square one a few times :-)

+ THe whole time I'm usually sculpting out freq's with the Sonitus EQ, although I find their graphical plot to be pretty inaccurate. I go by Inspector to try and keep things from getting too cluttered... something I struggle with that...

+ As for the aforementioned efx, I usually use Waves RVerb, and dB Tempo Delay, which I love. If things get really hairy I'll pull out Waves SuperTap. Then it's either Metaflagner for the efx or something from OhmForce if I need some serious mangling :-)

+ If things need some more movement I'll either automate the Sonitus EQ on a track to make a filter sweep or use SpazTek's FilterKing (love it!)

+ I JUST ordered a BCR-2000 to help with the eq tweaks, filter sweeps, and virtual synth management, otherwise I just use a mouse, which is pehaps why I hate the console view.

+ Recently I've been bouncing all this down to a mix and importing the mix into Melodyne so I can record and create vocal arrangements there. I hate doing it like this though, but the MelodyneBridge is a little buggy.

+ When it's all tweaked I bounce it all down, I usually keep my SUBMASTER bus down -5dB so there's room to work with. Then I usually bring it into SoundForge and do some poor man's mastering with the VintageWarmer and any dire EQ needs.

VOILA!

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    SteveJL
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/30 17:48:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Blinddog and ...wicked.....nice writeups. They both show me things I can improve on.

glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/31 02:15:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteveJL

* - Bussing
    * - Spectrum Analysis
    * - RMS measurement

Hey Steve,

Don't know if this adds much to what the others have said, but here goes:

Software S4PE plus Adobe Audition especially for cleaning out any alien noises or sounds.

Plugins I know you don't ask this but most usually ... Antares Microphone Modeller, especially to experiment on acoustic guitars, mandolin, bouzouki, etc. Sonitus Compressor on each track, usually applied conservatively. EQ as required (no one size fits all!)

Busses Usually 4 Aux sends for two different Reverbs, Chorus and Delay (for "fattening" sparse vocals and/opr instruments.
    Usually two busses for sub mixes, al being routed eventually to a Main Mix Bus.
    The Main mix bus applies a touch of EQ as required (usually to warm up the mix a little and maybe add some air) and Multiband Compressor, sometimes a tiny tiny touch of finishing reverb, then limiter.

Control Surface - BCR2000 for balancing panning and volumes of different tracks, for soloing and muting when testing things. I generally listen to each track on its own to get EQ, compression etx right before playing first with panning thewn volume levels. Mouse preferred for individual tweaks (eg to EQ and Compressor sedttings, BCR2000 preferred for controlling Aux sends.

Effects Oops! Already answered.

Monitoring Don't fully undersatnd the question - through speakers like everybody else I guess! Occasionally use headphones to listen out for a particular point.

Spectrum Analysis Only at very end to check. Prefer to trust my ears at least initially.

Sonar Views Track view on one screen, showing peaks, Console view on other screen showing RMS. One little trick: I have my master bus to the left in Consoile view rather than the right. The rder is 1. Master Bus 2. Submixes, 3. Aux Sends - this means that once Reverb etc settings are more or less right, I can drag the whole section to the right, off the screen, except for Master Bus and Sub mixes, so I see all the individual tracks, then Master Bus and Sub Mixes.

All Digital No outboard FX devices

I think that answers it all. Thanks for posting the question.... and please excuse my many typos.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    SteveJL
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/31 03:22:21 (permalink)
    Actually Geoff, I would think it best that we all put down exactly what we're doing....that way anyone looking through it to learn stuff will start to see consistencies. Doubtless, many of us will have our own ways, but there will likely be many similarities.

Thanks for responding.

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/31 15:43:03 (permalink)
    Hey, SteveJL,

I wonder if we could coerce folks to provide links to any examples of their stuff? Everyone sounds like an expert in print, but the proof is in the pudding, as the cliche goes. It would also help to associate folks' comments with the particular styles in which they work.

No offense to anyone - I know the folks who've already responded are regulars here.

Just a thought.

M
    pdarg
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/31 16:26:08 (permalink)
    Excellent suggestion.
    fulcrum
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/31 16:58:08 (permalink)
    Right, I'll have a bash.

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

Thought I'd start a thread where we can all discuss how we are mixing down, what sort on sonic imagery we are going for, and what is working well.

Things I think would be good to add (but not limited to):

Sonar 3PE. When I'm not 100% in the box, noise from the outside world arrives via Layla 20; sound going to the Layla gets there from a Carvin FX 1244 desk. Hey, it ain't Sunset Recorders, but I'm content... for the time being.

* - Bussing

I seriously don't know how I got along without this busing architecture. It's so bloody flexible and you can very quickly get yourself into some wild routings. It would be nice if I could mult as well and if it would allow me to set up feedback loops, but maybe that's for Sonar 5 or something. I'm keen to try Senderella in the meantime for the feedback thing.

My bussing routine obviously depends on the song, but I generally try to get my channels above -3dB and bus them to their own special bus, which is where my actual fader moves take place-- makes it easier on me to view everything in one swell foop. Drums of course get their own bus, as do composite sounds from more than one source.

Mouse.

Sony headphones, model number escapes me at the moment as I'm not actually in the control room; and a pair of teensy Polk Audio speakers that I copped for literally a buck and a quarter from Tiger Surplus.

I think I've pretty well cleaned out KVR of all their freeware and betaware plugs, and am still in the process of trying them all and weeding out the ones that don't work as I expect them to or quite simply don't work. Other than those, I've got the Waves Platinum and Restoration bundles along with everything that came with Sonar (the Cakewalk and Sonitus fx). I am trying to negotiate the subtleties and nuances of Melodyne as I write.

You didn't mention soft synths, but I will as they're a big part of the way I'm working these days: mostly kit from NI (Absynth, B4, FM7, Battery) and Arturia (CS-80V, Minimoog V, Moog Modular V). Just got the Korg Legacy stuff and am falling in love with the Wavestation all over again. Plus a few freebies like Augur, Ticky Clav, Tapeworm, Mr Ray, polyIblit, Superwave, Osiris-6, and a few others for specialized purposes.

Brick and mortar kit includes a Kurzweil K2000, an Ensoniq EPS (used more for its controller capabilities than for its sounds), and two Oberheim Matrix-1000s. Those enter the audio stream via the Carvin and Layla.

* - Spectrum Analysis

* - RMS measurement

Voxengo Span. It has effectively taken the place of both the Waves frequency analyzer and Inspector as it gives me fairly good feedback on both where my signal is falling short and what my crest factor is at any given time.

Need to find a good metering plug now. I remember seeing something here in conjunction with the K-14 and K-18 discussions, if only I can remember which thread that was.

I've been gravitating towards being totally in the box with my recent projects and am struggling with the issue of making it all sound just a little bit warmer.

I go back and forth between Track and Console view-- Console gets me an overall level, and Track lets me create and adjust envelopes, effect sends, channel effect parameters, et al.

This might just be a phase I'm going through, but lately I find myself limiting my channels more than compressing them, just to bring them up to 0db relatively painlessly and to flatten out some of the wilder peaks. My go-to limiter has historically been the Waves L1, but I think the Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter has possibilities as well.

I do however compress the snare just a little bit, then the drum bus just a little bit, and then the master mix just a little bit-- no more than a dB per instance.

"Real" engineers probably wouldn't do things quite this way, but I'm still learning and I'm not offended by the noise I'm making.

A few months ago my answer would have been this: one-man band rock with a fairly strong whiff of progressive. I don't go all 13/8 just because I can, or display my chops for the sake of displaying my chops-- come to think my chops ain't what they used to be anyway. But I do place an emphasis on composition and MIDI orchestration, and Sonar makes the documentation of the ideas pretty well transparent.

That's the Fulcrum project. Of late I've hooked up with a bunch of like-minded musicians in an online collaboration with more of an industrial-progressive bent, which has had some level of success on a number of forums, and I guess I'm rediscovering my youthful aggression in the process. Unfortunately they've had some issues lately and the first posting in that thread no longer links successfully to the song. Maybe they'll fix that sometime...

Edited 13 Mar 2005 to update my stuff and to brag on my music.
    post edited by fulcrum - 2005/03/13 18:20:21
    BlindDog
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2004/12/31 18:22:43 (permalink)
    I don't have much to sample, but you can check out WillowSongs which has brief samples of a project I finished six months ago. I'm working on getting more of the more recent stuff on SoundClick but right now there's only a couple of songs up there.

Please also consider that at the moment I'm still recording 20 bit -- well, 16 on what you hear here. 24-bit is "in the mail" as they say.

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    Dr8note
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/01 04:13:23 (permalink)
    Wells peeps when it comes to mixing I always tell my "students" (friends who pick my brain constanly) it's like cooking. It's what you know to add, what you have experimented with and you season to taste. I do use compression or limiting on the tracks as needed. Compressors have a" nature" (sound) as do limiters. Depending on what you want from the instrument, you use limiting to have it remain more constant in volume. That's what the L1+ does for my ears. The compressors allows you to have loudness and still maintain some degree of dynamics. I use more than two reverbs when the mix calls for reverb. Remember one reverb makes all the trax sent to it reside in the same "space". If you want seperation and depth that's a no-no. I love the buss architecture (sp?) on Sonar and as for analog vs. digiyal...... you CAN get warmth from digital.Process the sound you're recording so it sounds as "analog" as you like it. Anyway, the rest of my advice would take hours and I'm in the middle of a record right now (mixing.....How About That?) You can email me at mprod@pacbell and once I get the time I'll share some of my knowledge with yas!!!!
    Michael Wells
    Coca-Cola "Always" Mixer for 8 years
    Tracy Chapman
    Ahmad
    Various Movies (Bill & Ted etc)
    TV Movies (Disney)
    Shello
    Keith Washington
    Atlantic Starr
    Aaron Hall and his brother
    so on and so on......
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/01 09:04:30 (permalink)
    Here’s my process concerning mixing…

#1 I struggle with the tension between there are no formulas – to creating presets that are a good starting point based on the content. I guess this is the Art/Science part of what we do.

I produce classical music for radio and commercial CD as a primary process, but I do about six CD’s a year in the acoustic category. So I have created sonic benchmark metrics in each category of my mixes and the mixes of CD’s I respect. Simply, I have a starting point to work in small increments from, rather than starting from scratch in every project/song.

Bussing – I typically place some content (eg percussion, backup vocals) in a buss architecture for consistency and manageability.

Surface/Mouse – I use a Yamaha O1/X I find for the multi-track pop stuff it’s more natural (my age showing here) but the <8 track classical stuff works fine with the mouse, as it is much more linear in level.

Monitor – I mainly use Mackie’s as most of the studios I work with have standardized on these, I start with them, move to Boston Acoustic BA-40’s (consumer bookshelf), then listen in a separate green room with Acoustat Panels and Spica’s – My goal is to measure the Image, and dynamics – I practically ignore frequency response as, I am pretty set in my EQ by this point.

Spectrum Analysis – I don’t really concern myself with this until the mastering phase.

RMS measurement – I am always looking at Peak to Average even during tracking

All Digital, All the Time – Time is $$ - at 96Khz 24 Bit - I don’t care who is snobby about the sound anymore. Most people who seem to criticize all digital stuff speak in clichés and simplify a complex issue.

Sonar Views – I always use Dual Monitors – gota do that!

Compression – I do like the Sonitus (BTW just how is that pronounced!) multibands on some tracks. I feel I can classically dial the comp to realistic level.

Finally: Mix in the Dark with all visual monitors turned off – Deny your eyes and start enabling your ears!! I watch people staring at faders and meters during a mix as if there is some important information there – at this point you need to turn off the lights!! Yes, those indicators are critical but at this point let the ears lead.

Off my soapbox now…

-D
    gullfo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/01 10:39:14 (permalink)
    - Software

Sonar 4 PE - I like to track more rather than less and then cut away to the bare essentials on a song rather than add, so I start out by listening to everything and start to cut out bits so each instrument has some part of the limelight in the right context. I find I can get much hotter mixes that way. I also am trying to avoid using too much warming or distortion effects and instead try to get a richer original recording on each instrument - I'm finding this helps in getting solid overall levels as well.
    Generally record @ 44.1/24bit - saves much CPU power (I'm only running a 1.6ghz pentium) - although 96/24 has a definitely "air" about it that is really nice for acoustic stuff.

- Bussing

Usually I use 8 or more busses - some are used from sends such as reverb or delay for melding the "room" setting, others are control groups - vocals, guitars, keyboards, drums. I send the bass and leads directly to the master bus.
    Each track and each buss has "defaults" assigned in my template file for EQ, reverb, delay, in-track effects that I like to use, and the master buss has EQ and Timeworx compressor as a limter (both very very slightly adding some air and compression).

- Control Surface vs Mouse

Mouse only at this point but I've been looking at some Tascam stuff...

- Monitoring (technique and equipment)

I have M-audio SP-5 powered monitors along with my PC speakers w/ sub. I usually mix at very low volumes on the SP-5's then check in the PC speakers and headphones. Periodically cut a CD for my car to check as well. I know my monitors fairly well at this point (took about 2 years...).

- Effects (type and settings)

besides eq, compression, reverb, and delays? depends - things like amp sims, leslie sim, phaser, flanger, choruses, etc... as needed or seemingly a fit for the tune.

- Spectrum Analysis

rarely but if I'm having trouble mixing I take a look to see where I'm getting congestion and then try to scoop out the eq on the conflicting sounds to loosen it up.

- RMS measurement

in SoundForge, I'll check out the overall sound levels to see if I can improve on the levels or overall eq.

- All-Digital or Digital/Analog

all digital via the Omnistudio into the Delta 44. or MIDI.

- Sonar views (ie mixing in Track View vs Console)

90% track view, 10% console view.

- using Compression (per track vs bus)

I usually have compression all vocal tracks as opposed to the vocal bus, I may also use it on individual instruments as needed.

Glenn 
    www.runnel.com

Axiology
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/01 13:40:58 (permalink)
    I think it also helps to know what type/style of recordings people are doing. I do my own projects - mostly a Jazz/Rock/Blues sort of thing with 2 guitars, bass, drums, one or two vocal tracks, and a little keyboard's. I use Vsampler3.5 for drums, using individual outputs for Bass Drum, Snare, Highhat, Toms and Cymbals, putting all of them in a track folder.
    So in all a maximum of about 6-8 audio tracks(not counting the Vsampler outputs) and a couple of midi tracks. I am trying to create the sound of a band playing in an acoustic space with a feel of depth in the recording, I think I'm at least partially successful at doing this, and improving with time.

* - Software - S4PE

EDIT:** - Stereo tracks or Mono? - My tracks are recorded mono, but since I insert reverbs onto the tracks, rather than using busses, I switch the tracks to stereo after. I'm no expert, but it seems to me that to get a well defined stereo image, with an illusion of depth of field, its important that the reverb get exactly the same panning as the instrument it's on. It's so much simpler to achieve that with the reverbs directly on the tracks. If I was to keep the tracks mono and buss the reverbs I think that would be counter-productive to realizing this goal - because this method requires that reverbs are not shared with other instruments. I'd need a seperate reverb buss for each. That's my current theory anyway.

* - Bussing - Don't use, except, of course 1 master buss.
    * - Control Surface vs Mouse- Mouse and Keyboard shortcuts
    * - Monitoring (technique and equipment) - JBL L19, TOA 280ME Monitors and Fostex T20 Headphones. I often use the phones and near field monitoring, though I like to back off from the monitors when setting bass levels.
    * - Effects (type and settings) Each audio track gets an FX2 Tape Sim, Compressor(Kjaerus Audio Classic, Sonitus or Blockfish) and I use the built in S4PE track EQ, always subtractively to help create the feel of separation between instruments and space in the mix.
    I use reverb on tracks, not on buss - sometimes 2 per track. If I use two, the first adds ambience, with a bit of pre-delay and the second for a larger room or hall sound. This way it's possible to move the instrument closer or further away, by varying the wet/dry mix on the shorter ambient reverb.
    I try to give the instrument a feel of depth, and position, never panning anything hard left or right. I've been using the Lexicon pantheon a bit, mainly for ambience, though my absolute favorite is SIR, those impulse response sounds are awesome. Though to use SIR at all requires me to freeze any track using it, as it's such a CPU hog.
    If this isn't enough I have been using the Sonitus phase plug as the last track effect - very useful I think, for positioning an instrument in the stereo field, though it can cause the instrument to dissappear if you switch to monitoring in mono.
    For drums I've been using the Voxengo OldSkoolVerb -Intimate room setting. It sounds great for highhats, snare and cymbals, I've been using one on each Vsampler output, but I'm thinking I may start bussing it, using just one. It doesn't use great amounts of CPU.
    I use the S4PE EQ on all of the Vsampler drum outputs. Almost always, drum samples have an excessively wide frequency range. I cut off the low end from highhats and cymbals, abit of lows and/or highs from snares, bass drums and toms.
    * - Spectrum Analysis - often - I keep a VoxengoSPAN on the master buss in stereo mode so when I solo something I can see as well as hear it's range and see what effect subtractive EQing is having. Also if two instruments aren't sitting well together, or if there's something that doesn't sound right, it helps in figuring out what the problem is.
    * - RMS measurement - dont use it, not sure what use this is.
    * - All-Digital or Digital/Analog - answered above, I think.
    * - Sonar views (ie mixing in Track View vs Console) - Track view exclusively
    * - using Compression (per track vs bus) - As above, I also use a Kjaerus Classic Comp on the master buss, using the premastering setting, and the Kjaerus master limiter - Mixing and mastering all in one go I guess, though if I get serious about this and do a CD I'll take off the master limiter, and get someone else to do the mastering, but for now it stays.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/axiologymusic.htm

The first two songs are recent S4PE productions, the third, an Instrumental is a couple of years old, using Sonar 2.2.

Andrew
    < Message edited by Axiology -- 1/6/2005 4:52:11 PM >
    Salsamac
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/01 17:22:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ...wicked

+ I create the following busses: VOCALS, BASS, GUITAR, DRUMS, SYNTHS, AMBIENCE, REVERB, DELAY, EFX (this last one is usually flange, but could be anything)

+ All busses go to a SUBMASTER bus that has the Inspector spectrum analyzer on it. This feeds to MASTER, which is routed to my main outs

Out of interest..why send the bass,or any single instrument for that matter,to a buss?couldn't one just deal with the specific track?
    SteveJL
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/01 18:35:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL:
    Out of interest..why send the bass,or any single instrument for that matter,to a buss?couldn't one just deal with the specific track?

I use busses to give like-sounds a common space, also for easier organisation of effects and settings, and also for CPU-relief.

Sometimes, though, when it is a single instrument, I do as you say, and insert directly into the track.
    < Message edited by SteveJL -- 1/1/2005 6:43:45 PM >

reallifer
    • Total Posts : 236
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/02 01:11:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for this topic.
    As a rookie mixer, I would like to suggest adding a "what do you record mono vs stereo" to the list.
    For instance, the output on my mixing board will take a single mic (vocal) signal and create a left and right track that I can record to a stereo track in Sonar. But this doesn't seem like true stereo to me and I think that it would be wiser to record a vocal track in mono. But since I have no experience to go by, I would love to know how you all do it.
    Thanks,
    Troy

http://www.reallifer.com
    SteveJL
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/02 02:42:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: reallifer

Thanks for this topic.
    As a rookie mixer, I would like to suggest adding a "what do you record mono vs stereo" to the list.
    For instance, the output on my mixing board will take a single mic (vocal) signal and create a left and right track that I can record to a stereo track in Sonar. But this doesn't seem like true stereo to me and I think that it would be wiser to record a vocal track in mono. But since I have no experience to go by, I would love to know how you all do it.
    Thanks,
    Troy

IMO, you want to avoid recording your vocals onto a stereo track as this will limit your ability later to pan it into the soundstage. You can always clone your mono track for stereo imaging as well,
    If you are applying effects, you are best to feed a mono track in and then choose whether the effect will output mono or stereo. I prefer to work with everything in mono every step of the way, so that I have as much control as possible of the stereo imaging/soundstage (though I may let an effect output in stereo during tracking, but then switch it's output to mono (if an option) during mixing). Generally speaking, though, I find that even if there is no mono switch in the effect (such as Pantheon), when it is placed in the bin of a mono track or bus, you still end up with mono pan-control of the output.

Generally, this follows the advice given by Pro's in the resources I have been using to learn this stuff.

(Note also that I am not a Pro at this, in fact, am learning things myself as I go).

BlindDog
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/02 12:12:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: reallifer

I have a couple of fundamentals, and then it's a matter of the production. Vocals and bass are always mono. Recording an electric via the POD if there is obvious stereo imaging going on with the tone then I'll record it stereo, otherwise mono. With acoustic guitars, I'll record with two mics and either record one track stereo or two dual-mono, whichever fits the vision of the song. If there are two acoustic guitars, it's more likely to do two dual-mono tracks and then pan them to form the foundation of the song, but then again that's a matter of what fits the vision of the production.

Pads, keys, synth, all that is typically recorded stereo (if I'm recording the audio at all, usually I keep it midi unless there's some acoustic frosting I want to apply to a portion of the track).

Drums: If it's a real kit and you have the hardware to mono mic each drum, then by all means do it and record each mono. If you're like me and all you have is synthetic drums, then you can sequence each head on its own track (mono) and then work with that, or track a whole drum on a stereo track (which is easier but more restrictive).

Not that any of this is "right" according to the pros, but rather it's just one person's approach.
    Boogie
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2106
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/02 18:35:43 (permalink)
    Here’s where I expose myself for the true amateur that I am. <g> Not to toot my own horn here, but I think I must be doing something right, based on responses to my work in the Songs forum.

Here goes...

Software that you mix with:

Sonar 4 Producer and Adobe Audition 1.0 for surgical wav editing, although I’m doing more and more slip editing lately and using Audition a lot less. I mostly “master” with Ozone in Sonar. I still like to use Audition after mixing and mastering in Sonar for trimming finished wavs and doing things like fade-outs. I also do all of my MP3 compression in Audition. CD Architect for burning.

Stereo tracks or Mono?

Depends. Mostly mono for recorded instruments, unless I’m using my DigiTech Genesis (POD-like guitar amp modeler with stereo outputs) or for drum synth tracks.

Bussing

I love universal bussing and I use it to its fullest. For drum synth tracks, I’ll often separate the drums (kick, snare, toms, hats, etc.) and bounce to individual tracks, as well as use separate tracks for close-mic’ed and room mic’ed sounds. Then I’ll create a separate bus for each (Kick, snare, etc.) and send both close and room sounds to the bus, where I’ll add compression, eq and ‘verb as needed.

Then route all of the drum busses to a master drum bus. Sometimes I’ll put the ‘verb on the master drum bus instead of on the individual drum busses. Then send the master drum bus and all other busses (rhythm guitar, lead guitars, lead vocals, backing vocals, etc.) to a master bus. Ozone and sometimes PSP Vintage Warmer goes in the fx bin on this bus.

Control Surface vs Mouse

Mouse. I’m currently evaluating the usefulness of a control surface for my purposes. I have an initial opinion about them and many questions for users, but that’s for another thread.

Monitoring (technique and equipment)

Mackie HR- 624 nearfields run through the control room outs of my Mackie SR24-4 VLZ Pro mixer. The 624’s aren’t quite as good as my old NS-10Ms for exposing crap and crud buried in my mixes, but they are very pleasant (read: non-fatiguing) to work with for long mixing sessions and have much better bass response.

Effects (type and settings)

Almost all UAD-1 Powered Plug-ins. Often I’ll start with one of the canned presets and tweak from there. When I find something that works, I’ll save it to a custom preset and use it again in a similar situation.

Different parameters I’ve used could fill several pages and I’m still learning, especially when it comes to compression, eq and reverb parameters. Mostly I just trust my ears.

Spectrum Analysis

None. I “wing it” by ear only.

RMS measurement

Wing it. Ear only.

All-Digital or Digital/Analog

100% digital.

Sonar views (ie mixing in Track View vs Console)

While tracking or MIDI sequencing, I rarely ever open the Console View and do almost all of my work in the Track and Piano Roll views.

When it’s time to mix, it’s almost all Console View. Once the parts are “in the can” the only thing I use the Track View for is wav editing.

Using Compression (per track vs bus)

Depends on the material and what type of instrument. Most of my effects are run from busses. I use compression on individual tracks for bass guitar and individual vocal tracks.

What type of music do you record?

All kinds, but I’m not that much into electronic music or hip-hop. Mostly rock (I play guitar and sing in a punk-influenced hard rock band). I also enjoy playing and recording traditional Country, Blues, Rockabilly, Funk and Doo-Wop.

I've added two additional sections to my response. They may not be directly related to the mixing process, but are indirectly related and very important IMHO.

Analog mixing board?

I use a Mackie SR24-4 VLZ-Pro Mixing board and I can’t imagine being without it. The board is extremely quiet and transparent. It has other goodies too, like two headphone outputs and a talkback section.

The first eight channels of the board are for inputs only. I have three mic channels, one dedicated to bass guitar (my SansAmp Bass Driver DI is connected to this channel), and stereo pairs for my Genesis and DR-550 drum machine. The VLZ-Pro preamps on this board are not the best, but are adequate and sound pretty good to me. I can route any of these channels to any input on my Delta 1010 using the board’s four busses and 6 aux sends.

The next eight channels are for the analog outputs from the Delta 1010. When mixing, I use a single stereo pair. For tracking, this is where the mixer rocks! I use one pair to monitor backing tracks, one pair for input monitoring, and one pair for the audio metronome. The faders are right there at my fingertips if I need to make any adjustments to the headphone mix. I still haven’t found a use for the other pair yet, but it’s nice to know they’ll be there when I do find a use for them!

The rest of the channels are used for miscellaneous things such as the soundcard inputs for my non-DAW PC, turntable, CD player or whatever else I might need to patch in there. There are a few more channels there than I need, but it’s so nice to have the breathing room.

Tracking:

In my opinion, tracking is among the most critical parts of the recording process! If you don’t use extreme attention to detail here, your mixing session will amount to little more than turd polishing!

Of course, the subject of mic placement, mic and preamp selection for a given situation is for another thread. (and there is a wealth of information on this forum and elsewhere on the net.) My goal is to have an idea of what sound I’m looking for and I don’t hit record until I hear that sound coming from the monitors. I try to keep the peaks below -6db when tracking.

Another important factor is talent! The term “Turd polishing” applies here too. It’s important to try and capture the emotional vibe of the instrument/vocalist. If the record-ee is trying too hard to nail that note or solo, and you keep trying multiple takes to get it right, the vibe is often lost. If you’re trying and trying and it’s just not happening, get someone else to play/sing the part or it or save it for another day and move on to on something else.

What does this have to do with mixing? A lot IMHO! The best mixes begin when with no effects, eq or panning, you just throw up the faders and it already sounds nice!

Mixing should be for balancing sounds and creating a believable acoustic space with the great tracks you have, not performing damage control!

bubblefish
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 914
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/03 22:59:05 (permalink)
    thanks for sharing guys i should definatly get all the help i can

If I need compression during mixing I usually add one on a buss and route the track I want to compress to the buss. I believe this is called "New York" style compression

i would be interested to hear others opinion on this, is it something that widly used? what settings would you use for such a general compression?

If you live the sacred and despise the ordinary,
    you are still bobbing in the ocean of delusion

Some sounds with spaces
    reallifer
    • Total Posts : 236
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/04 01:38:40 (permalink)
    Steve and BlindDog
    Thanks for the good advice.
    Boogie
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2106
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/04 01:47:34 (permalink)
    Nevermind...
    < Message edited by Boogie -- 1/3/2005 10:55:53 PM >

SteveJL
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/04 05:38:11 (permalink)
    Nice write-ups everyone. A lot of REALLY good information being shared here.

Hopefully, more to come........

sammyp
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 752
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/04 09:43:22 (permalink)
    Ok I'll do a pretty quick run down of my stuff but think i'll skip pretty quickly to the PROBLEM solving part of thtis thread.

I flipflop between S 3.1.1 PE and S4.01 PE, use Roland DS-90A near fields, mix mostly in the console view. Mix with a mouse - don't feel the need or have the cash for a control surface. I found Akshara's bussing archetecture which he posted back a few months ago very useful. My plugs and effects are pretty much just Sonitus and Kjaerhus Classic free series. I have digital fishphones and voxengo free stuff but pretty much stick to the first two. All digital! I usually select mono tracks for most. I've got a couple spectral analysis plugs - one's a brutal resourse hog - don't really bother with them. Multi stereo try outs are what tells me most about a mix - car, boombox, computer speakers, near fields.

Question - Anyone who really has a handle on the concept of making buss compression "pump" with the groove/tempo - a spiel would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Great idea Steve - this could become one of the most resourseful threads on the forums.
    < Message edited by sammyp -- 1/4/2005 9:52:13 AM >

SiriusLiMusic
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/04 13:29:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bubblefish

If I need compression during mixing I usually add one on a buss and route the track I want to compress to the buss. I believe this is called "New York" style compression

i would be interested to hear others opinion on this, is it something that widly used? what settings would you use for such a general compression?

The idea here is that you are not affecting the original track and , if done right, you can blend the two (or more) to get a nice sound. Using this technique you shouldnt really "hear" the compression. Now if you wanted to use the compression to really pump the sound or like an effect, you would be better off just running one as an insert.
    I hope this makes some sense. I should also note that i usually compress whilt tracking. So my compression settings are pretty light, depending.
    < Message edited by SiriusLiMusic -- 1/4/2005 10:40:18 AM >
    MagicBuss
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/04 15:21:39 (permalink)
    quote:

ORIGINAL: bubblefish

quote:

If I need compression during mixing I usually add one on a buss and route the track I want to compress to the buss. I believe this is called "New York" style compression.

The idea here is that you are not affecting the original track and , if done right, you can blend the two (or more) to get a nice sound. Using this technique you shouldnt really "hear" the compression. Now if you wanted to use the compression to really pump the sound or like an effect, you would be better off just running one as an insert.
    I hope this makes some sense. I should also note that i usually compress whilt tracking. So my compression settings are pretty light, depending.

This is also known as "parallel compression" and is a common technique in most pop and rock mixes. One of the things the "new york" sound became famous for was its drums. Basically you send all the drums (minus the OH's usually) to a stereo buss and HEAVILY compress them while hyping the low end and hi-end. Bring this buss in under the main drum sounds for added punch and attack.
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Mixing Down: what's working? How do you do it? 2005/01/04 18:31:04 (permalink)

Sonar 4.01 PE for tracking and mixing. Cool Edit 2.1 for stereo editing/ trimming/ burning/ mastering.

** - Stereo tracks or Mono?
    Depends on source material.
    Usually acoustic instruments in stereo, and electric instruments in stereo only if there's a dramatic stereo effect like ping pong delay or two amplifiers.

If there's room in the mix, I love tracking vocals with an M/S pair and having the lead in stereo. Once the singer figures out how to work the mic, this can be nicely expressive.

* - Bussing
    Sometimes I'll buss for effects (either group compression like on backing vox, or for special effects like gating drums into a reverb send but not into the 2-buss) or for the sake of tidiness.

Mice suck. I use them as little as possible. I use an o1v for the control surface. Nice to just grab a solo or mute and then move to a half-dozen faders. Much faster and easier on the wrists.

Also in the process of mapping a keystation 88 to the transport and console controls to make tracking from the keys smoother. And OK, I'll admit it. It's cool to move one of the 88's sliders and see the fader on the Yamaha move with it

Quietly as possible for as long as possible. I'd love to say I take frequent breaks, but I'm not good at reminding myself to.

I use JBL 4311s for mains, realistic minimus 7's for "the average home" sound, and a pair of super cheap, came-with-the-e-machine-at-work computer speakers for "rot-gut" sound simulation. I used to use a pair of Alesis point-sevens for NS-10 duty, but they don't fit in my new space. I may re-arrange to accomodate them. I'll receive the m-audio surround package this week too, as I don't have enough cans of worms already open .

I like the UAD-1 f/x as the go-to bunch for compression. Impressed with the realverb on the card too. I have used and like the pantheon, but agree it's not as easy to set up as it should be.

Externally, I use the gates/ comps in the o1v if I need to side-chain something, and will also use its two multif/x. I've got a bunch of other rack gear collecting dust, but will sometimes use a quadraverb for leslie simulation, and will sometimes use some dbx comp's on bass and kick when tracking.

As for f/x settings, I usually adjust everything to taste per song, even if I'm mixing a lot of tunes. I sometimes make presets of settings for vocals and the like, but this is rare.

* - Spectrum Analysis
    We've been given ears to hear things. Not eyes.

* - RMS measurement
    I'm not really concerned with metering past, "uh, did it clip?". I've found too many folks too obsessed with metering to the point it stifles creativity. I'm really more concerned with getting good tones and getting them to work well in a mix's context.

Moving into the all-dig realm. I used to use Cool Edit as a virtual tape deck and have it slaved to a reel to reel 8-track and mix analog. I liked that, but as I've progressed away from the PII @ 400mhz that ran on, I'm seeing less of a reason to do anything outside the box, save for some special effects. That said, I do have a decent analog board (sound workshop) and may give a go at using it for a summing buss. No hurry to try that though.

Track view for tracking and editing, Console view for mixing, lyric sheet for notes. Nice to have your mix notes greet you when you open a session, just in case you're forgetful like me...

A bit of both as described above. One nice trick is to combine the two. Like compressing individual vox, then running them to a buss and compressing that. The individual comps prevent a spiky track from 'nerfing' the other vox, and the buss comp glues them together nicely. For thick vox beds, try taking the vox reverb return and send it into this compressing buss.

indie rock, alt-country, folk, punk, pop.

here is one of the more recent, unmastered mixes I've done, for a project called above the orange trees. Any of the tunes on the ATOT site that aren't live I also did, but with cool edit and/or ADATs as Sonar is a new acquisition.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1