Mixing Focus

Author
vitalstates
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2005/08/15 14:36:42 (permalink)

Mixing Focus

I am having trouble getting instruments to focus precisely in the soundstage at mixing time. I monitor as best as I can on Tannoy reveals and the stage seems pretty well spaced with enough room between instruments. Problem is when I double check mixes on the HiFi(admittedly high end with electrostats) I can never get the focus thats achieved on commercial CDs, mine always seem a bit wide and blurred.

Can anybody give me some idea of where I'm going wrong.

thanks

Ed

2 Replies Related Threads

oddeoguy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Mixing Focus 2005/08/15 15:06:40 (permalink)
    Try this

http://www.synthax.com/emesowl.html

I just got the Mini version and this thing is incredible. It eliminates all of the guess work...I was really sceptical at first but now I am really enjoying it and find that my mixes are the same everywhere I listen to them. I almost don't have to run out to car anymore! It took some getting used to at first but now that I get it I think I might just use it all of the time.
    m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Mixing Focus 2005/08/15 15:40:48 (permalink)
    Hi vitalstates,

It's very difficult to say what's wrong without listening to it.
    Often the cause for muddy unfocused sound is that all tracks share the same frequencies, or the use of too much or wrong reverb.
    You maybe want to post some of your work in the songs forum, where people listen to others songs and give usefull critique and help.

Greets
    Melf
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1