Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chaz
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2775
2006/07/17 00:57:18 (permalink)

Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran

Hi all.

I thought this info would be helpful to forum members of all mixing levels. Please try not to deviate from the thread topic too much.

-------

Here is what I listen and look for in any mix:

1) Is the mix balanced? That is, are track levels fairly balanced across the board or are there some that are too loud in the overall mix?

(As a side note..... There is more than one way to get a track to cut through a mix without having to raise the volume fader.)

2) Has a "pocket" been created in which the main vocal can sit without having to fight for the same space with other instruments?

3) Are the individual tracks tweaked so they can be heard in the mix? The idea is for them to not be fighting against the other tracks while occupying their own "space".

4) Do the kick and /or bass tracks sound "boomy" in the mix? And which instrument (i.e., kick or bass) is carrying the low end of the tune?

5) Are tracks being "washed out" by other tracks due to ambience getting in the way. The use of pre-delay and high/low pass filtering is key to getting the ambience out of the way of the individual tracks being sent to it.

6) How does the mix sound when checking for mono compatability? Are there any problems with anti-phase, phase cancellation, etc.? This is key when mixing, IMO.

There are other things, but the above are some of the first things I check for when listening to a mix or mixing a project myself.

Here are some "Rule of Thumb" tips to use when mixing.....

1) If you want something to stick out in a mix, use a highpass filter to roll off some of the lows.

2) If you want something to blend in in a mix, use a lowpass filter to roll off some of the highs.

3) When using EQ..... Use a narrow "Q" (i.e., bandwidth) when cutting and a wide "Q" when boosting frequencies. This principle applies to complimentary EQing as well.

4) Also along the lines of EQing tracks..... "Cut" if you are trying to make things sound better. "Boost" if you are trying to make things sound different.

5) Use a highpass filter after effects. This will help the track to be "sit" in the mix better as well as cut down on any "wash out" that can occur.

6) You cannot cut/boost something that is not already present in a track in the first place.

7) If something sounds "boomy", cut some at around 50Hz.

8) If something sounds "muddy", cut some at around 200Hz to 300Hz.

9) If something sounds "honky", cut some at around 500Hz.

10) Always check your stereo mix with PAZ or equivalent analyzer to make sure frequencies stay in check.

Here are some pointers regarding ambience (i.e., reverb).....

1) Ambience works better when timed to the tempo of the track.

2) Short ambience tails "push back" a sound in the mix.

3) Long ambience tails makes a sound "float" in a mix.

4) Reducing the ambient time of a plate or a room verb to 0.3-0.6 seconds will often make an instrument fuller and bigger sounding, as well as less "in-your-face" without it being obvious that ambience is being used.

5) Always follow ambience with a highpass filter to control any "wash out" from occurring.

6) Pre-delay is key in helping a track cut through and sit better in the mix.

7) Combining a delay with ambience will create movement to a track and make it more interesting to listen to.

8) Substitute a delay for ambience. They will give movement to a track and sound cleaner for the track as a whole.

-------

Wow! That was a lot of typing!

There are more things to consider when mixing, but put the above things into place and everything else will fall into place, IMO.

Happy mixing.

34 Replies Related Threads

micbeats
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 04:35:14 (permalink)
    WOW Chaz,
    I was just coming to the forum to post these questions regarding mono/stereo, that you divinely presented in your helpful guide about mono clarity.
    A] I was checking one of my mixes fluctuating between mono and stereo, and noticed that my mix sounds more fuller/bigger in mono, should it be the other way around?
    B] Also when one 1st starts a mix should it be done in mono?
    C] In mono with this particular mix, the bass is not as prevalent, but in stereo its presence is there...... is this correct?
    D] also in mono the meter readings go more in the red, but in stereo they just touch red slightly, is this correct?
    Man your a jem, thanks so much.
    post edited by micbeats - 2006/07/17 05:22:13

I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me

http://www.amimusic.net
    Player
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 08:56:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the information, Chaz, concise rules to follow. I'm going to print it out and tack it to the wall near my monitor.
    s_barber
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 390
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 10:25:16 (permalink)
    Hey, this is great. That list covers a lot of things you knew but often forget. A great list to do a quick review before you mix. I think a lot of problems in the mix is like you said, "Has a pocket been created for the main vocal". Too often something gets added that competes with something else.

Thanks.
    dkohles
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 12:40:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Chaz,

You always seem to enlighten instead of criticize, the sign of a good teacher.

Dick

Dick Kohles

“There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.” Duke Ellington
    chaz
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 15:05:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the kinds words, folks. They are appreciated.

Fwiw..... There is much more to the equation, but that would turn out to be another dissertation altogether! Anyone can do a search on my name ("chaz") and come up with something they might find useful, as my mixing techniques have been well documented in the forums.

Also.... It is one thing to know and spout off these type of things. It is quite another to be able to do them in the real world. The proof is in the pudding. Fortunately, I am blessed to be able to do both quite well. Thanks be to God!
    chaz
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 15:08:27 (permalink)
    I will have to answer some of your questions later on.

One thing I cannot emphasize enough is the use of a frequency spectrum analyzer like PAZ or equivalent to see what your mix looks like. It can save you a lot of headaches in the longrun. And you can easily see what frequencies need to be adjusted in the overall mix to bring them in line with everything else.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 17:32:46 (permalink)
    Once again Chaz,

You have contributed your talent to the forum audience and allowed us to become better and what we are striving for.

I thank you again for your unselfish contributions and for your interest in the welfare of others.

Take care and may you be blessed.

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 18:03:25 (permalink)
    Wrong post
    post edited by Jesse G - 2006/07/17 18:23:25

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 19:22:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chaz
    One thing I cannot emphasize enough is the use of a frequency spectrum analyzer like PAZ or equivalent to see what your mix looks like. It can save you a lot of headaches in the longrun. And you can easily see what frequencies need to be adjusted in the overall mix to bring them in line with everything else.

a question about this when you get a chance: when using a frequency analyzer do you look for evenness across a particular range, say 100hz to 10khz or something like that as a starting point? naturally your ears must be the final judge, but it's always good to have a starting point...

the way i typically use frequency analyzers is on a per-track basis, where i try to get the meat of the track even and see whether i'm reducing fundamentals enough. on a whole mix though i typically look for evenness across the board (of course the high end tapers off around 8-10k and the low end around 100hz). just wondering if i'm on the right track here.

thanks for this thread - i'm going to copy and paste it into something permanent.

- jack the ex-cynic
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 19:54:43 (permalink)
    Nice Chaz - Thanks for the tips.

-D

jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 19:55:22 (permalink)
    Hey Chaz!

I'll throw in a couple of tips...with your permission :-)

1. With the exception of drum overheads, try to record instruments in mono as much as possible. Stereo (soft) synths, stereo guitar effect pedals, stereo chorused bass, etc. can sound terrific when they're played alone, but when they all play together in a mix it can sound very amateurish very quickly. Record in mono and let the panning volume and reverb(s) create the stereo field.

2. Create your basic balances with all tracks panned to center. Frequency conflicts and phasing issues are easier to identify. Once you've got that all sorted out, you can pan things accordingly.

3. I got this one from Craig Anderton: Set up a pink noise track, routed to a separate master output. Set the level of the noise track to where you can barely still hear the music peeking thru. This roughly simulates the environment of a moving car with the radio volume set low. Check some commercial mixes to see what parts are the loudest and to what degree. This will really help you to determine how loud the vocal track should be and it will help you to create better overall balances.

4. Unless you're trying to recreate the sound of your favorite records of the 60's, avoid panning tracks hard left or hard right.

5. Don't be afraid to try some unorthodox things. Some tracks may actually need two EQ's, three compressors and double reverse distortion from your chrome muffler bearing plugin! Well, THAT may not work, but hey, it's just music and no one will get permanently injured. You can always hit the "bypass" button to get your friends back!

Cheers,
    Jonas

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    OnlyOneMiLLz
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/17 23:23:55 (permalink)
    Chaz this is very useful and helpful info.......I copied and pasted your post to word and printed it out and placed it above my screen.....so now when I mix I have a guide to go by to make my music sound that much more OFFICAL!

Thankz
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/18 01:16:51 (permalink)
    Thanks as always Chaz. I keep reading your posts and I'll be an audio engineer yet..............
    MagicBuss
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/18 12:48:09 (permalink)
    can someone explain "pre-delay" ?

Sure

Is it achieved by doubling the f.e. vocal-track.. moving it a bit to the left while lowering its volume ?

NO.

Predelay is a (nearly) universal parameter used in reverb patches. Basically it "delays" the onset of the reverb tail so that there is a period of time immediately after the word, chord, hit etc. where there is no reverb.

Predelay serves 2 purposes (1 psychoacoustic and the other utilitarian): it makes a reverb sound bigger because in the real world it takes longer for sound to bounce off of a wall thats 100 ft away than it does for one 10 ft away (bigger space = more predelay); and it creates room for individual tracks to breathe and retain definition without being muddied by the immediate onset of reverb.

A very common trick is setting predelay in time with the tempo of your track (like say a 16th note).

post edited by MagicBuss - 2006/07/18 13:06:13
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/18 13:24:08 (permalink)
    8) Substitute a delay for ambience. They will give movement to a track and sound cleaner for the track as a whole.

This works especially well for vocals in a rock in roll tune.

1. With the exception of drum overheads, try to record instruments in mono as much as possible. Stereo (soft) synths, stereo guitar effect pedals, stereo chorused bass, etc. can sound terrific when they're played alone, but when they all play together in a mix it can sound very amateurish very quickly. Record in mono and let the panning volume and reverb(s) create the stereo field.

Yeah, especially with a lot of tracks. Stereo guitar is great in a trio but if you're in a big mix, forget it.
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/18 14:36:43 (permalink)
    can someone explain "pre-delay" ?

In general, verb tend to make things sound farther away; but predelay brings them back forward (If you were in a gym and a singer was directly in front of you, you'd hear the vocal well before the ambience, however, if the singer was at the opposite end of the gym, you here the vocal and ambience very close to the same time.)

For verb on lead vocals, you often want predelay; predelay on percussion, however, can be tricky and may sound like extra hits. You would probably only use predelay on a verb for snare if you wanted a special effect.
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/18 15:15:30 (permalink)
    Very kind of you to share this Chaz, Thank You

stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/18 19:48:08 (permalink)
    A question sir, If I may:

When you mention bandwidth and Q
    Narrow - meaning a low value ?
    Wide meaning a high value ?
    How does the numeric value relate to the narrow / wideness?
    TIA
    chaz
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/18 21:17:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: stratcat33511

A question sir, If I may:

When you mention bandwidth and Q
    Narrow - meaning a low value ?
    Wide meaning a high value ?
    How does the numeric value relate to the narrow / wideness?
    TIA

Other way around, Ed.

LOW value = WIDE bandwidth
    HIGH value = NARROW bandwidth.

You should be able to see what the value does to the bandwidth on the GUI.

Hope the following helps.....

Q........ Bandwidth
    0.7.......2 octaves
    1.0.......1-1/3 octave
    1.4.......1 octave
    2.9.......1/2 octave

-------

Jonas..... Thanks for the extra tips.

Bill..... Great points as well.

Once again..... thanks for the kind words.
    post edited by chaz - 2006/07/18 23:10:51
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/18 22:30:26 (permalink)
    You, sir, are an awesome human being!
    Glad to be sharing the same side of the planet with you.

Just spent a couple hours making the best sounding mix EVER

Thanks Chaz

and everyone else who chimed in
    Jonas, joe et al
    chaz
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/20 19:37:18 (permalink)
    Great news to hear from you, Ed. Maybe you, Dave and I can get together sometime at either at Dave's place or mine and we can go over some other things as well.
    slim62r
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/20 19:39:30 (permalink)
    Chaz,

If you get some time can you explain to me "anti-phase, phase cancellation, " I am totally new to all of this.

Thank You

Also I am going to copy and paste this thing for a permanent spot in my computer and print it out.

Richard

Dell Inspiron 5100
    Intel P. 4 2.4 GHz
    1 gig ram
    Fostex VF 160 EX (for Recording)
    Behringer Ultragain Pro 8 ( for recording 16 channels at once)
    Sonar 4Hs (for mixing)
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/21 03:11:22 (permalink)
    Also I am going to copy and paste this thing for a permanent spot in my computer and print it out.

That's what I been doing for years Richard. I even have them in binders by subject.

Chaz, I have a kinda dumb question coming from someone with my experiance. Would you consider a "Notch Filter" pretty much as a simple EQ with a "Q" factor of around 4.5? Or how would you differentiate the difference between a "Notch Filter" and a simple EQ or for that matter a Parametric? Does that question make since?...........
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/21 10:21:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: slim62r

Chaz,

If you get some time can you explain to me "anti-phase, phase cancellation, " I am totally new to all of this...

slim62r,
    Phase is a big topic, see this thread for more info:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=607785

Cheers.
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/21 10:43:49 (permalink)
    Saved into my permanent archive. Very nice summary of the major topics and checkpoints. Thanks Chaz, for sharing from the abundance of your heart and experience.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    losguy
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/21 10:55:39 (permalink)
    Thanks to you, too, Jonas. Same!

ORIGINAL: jsaras

I have a question about about this one. I envision a middle ground in between the extremes of full-stereo sources and fully-mono sources. Plugins like Gpan and the SONAR surround panner let you truly set the width and center position of the stereo source, and let you fill in the space between the two extremes of full stereo (unpannable) and full mono (completely pannable).

I do appreciate the elegance and simplicity of mono tracks for complex mixes, but I can imagine scenarios sitting in between the extremes of complex mixes and solo'd instruments, say, the synth equivalent of a chamber orchestra, i.e. having just two or three instruments besides percussion in a relatively simple setting. This is where I believe that true stereo panning tools can be applied very well.

jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/21 12:57:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: losguy
    I can imagine scenarios sitting in between the extremes of complex mixes and solo'd instruments, say, the synth equivalent of a chamber orchestra, i.e. having just two or three instruments besides percussion in a relatively simple setting. This is where I believe that true stereo panning tools can be applied very well.

Yes, absolutely. It is a more advanced mixing concept and it's a little harder to hear/manage. I use Waves' stereo imaging plugins for this purpose. Another option would be to record stereo tracks as dual mono. You can then just use regular panning controls to adust the width of stereo spread.

Peace out,
    Jonas

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    losguy
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/21 15:36:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jsaras
    I use Waves' stereo imaging plugins for this purpose.

Thanks... I'll look into those. (Not every one of us has taken the plunge into the world of Waves.)

Another option would be to record stereo tracks as dual mono. You can then just use regular panning controls to adust the width of stereo spread.

Thanks again, Jonas. Dual mono, of course (slaps head). Unless I'm missing something, SONAR would require a pair of mono tracks for this per part?

Mike_GN
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Mixing Tips from a Seasoned Veteran 2006/07/21 17:00:08 (permalink)
    Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1