Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation

Author
amdrecording
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
2010/12/30 13:43:06 (permalink)

Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this, I want to come up with a solution that has the best possible workflow!

I want to create a stereo AND 5.1 mix for a film, and I'm trying to work out the signal flow right now.I wonder how I should approach this! I've been using the stereo panner for a large portion of the mix already, and wonder how/if this data can be brought over to surround-land... Let's say I panned a spaceship going from right to left with a stereo pan envelope... When If I transfer that track to SURROUND, is there an easy way for me to make sure that the spaceship still goes right to left? Or do I need to recreate all my panning?

Oy. My question is really bigger than that, though. I'm trying to work it out in my mind so that I can create BOTH the stereo and 5.1 mixes without having to do them both TOTALLY separately. This surround world is quite new to me, so I admit I'm pretty lost!

Thanks for any insight-- Alex

26 Replies Related Threads

amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2010/12/31 08:29:55 (permalink)
    bumpity bump bump
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2010/12/31 08:40:30 (permalink)
    Usually it is done the other way round: A 5.1 mix which is folded down to stereo. There are tools to do the stereo mix-down but I only know the ones for TDM/RTAS like Neyrinck ( http://www.neyrinck.com/e.../soundcode-stereo-ltrt ).

Btw, if you do a lot of audio post you might consider getting Pro Tools. It really shines in the post department. (I've tried using Sonar for post and quickly gave up. It takes too much time to do things that are very quick in Pro Tools).

UnderTow
    lavoll
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2010/12/31 08:41:48 (permalink)
    do it the other way around, 5.1 first and then do a stereo fold down (or whatever it is called in english) from that. muh easier.
    but of course even better to do two seperate mixes :)

sonar x1b, win 7, 12gig ram, 6gb ssd, i7 Hexa Processor i7-970, lynx aurora
    amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2010/12/31 08:45:27 (permalink)
    yeah, I really was afraid of that. Since I've already done LOTS of work in stereo, my approach this time around is going to have to be different.

UnderTow- what are some examples of things that easier to do in ProTools? I hate digidesign with a passion, so it would take a lot to convert me... But that doesn't mean it's not a possibility. So far Sonar hasn't been too painful for post, the mix is sounding great.

Thanks-
    UnderTow
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2010/12/31 10:03:42 (permalink)
    amdrecording

UnderTow- what are some examples of things that easier to do in ProTools? I hate digidesign with a passion, so it would take a lot to convert me... But that doesn't mean it's not a possibility. So far Sonar hasn't been too painful for post, the mix is sounding great.
    Well.. this is a huge topic... One of the first things that comes to mind is the way that the video follows editing. If you grab a clip or a clip boundary and drag it (to move the clip or to trim it) the video follows as you drag. This means you can very quickly drop clips (like SFX) at the right spot as the video follows what you do. You can quickly find scene borders, video edits etc.

Another important advantage, a huge topic in itself, is the vastly superior automation in Pro Tools. From the fact that you have various automation modes (Read/Write/Touch/Latch/Touch_latch/Trim...) to the way you can edit automation or the way it follows your clips editing to all the cools functions like Capture/Preview automation (So you can catch the settings of a track/bus/plugin at one place and copy it somewhere else or preview plugin changes without affecting automation until you decide to write it) or functions like Write_To_Start, Write_To_End, Write_To_Selection (So you can write the current automation "states" to the Start/End of a track or the current time Selection. The automation window lets you bypass or engage specific types of automation like volume/pan/mute/sends/plugins etc Or enable/bypass all automation etc... Or the way it interacts with Mix Groups so whatever you do on one track in a Mix Group also affects other tracks in the Mix Group (and of course you can enable/disable any specific group you created).

The groups also have edit groups which only affect editing and not mixing. Or you can create edit+mix groups... The routing is more powerful. (You can route buses to track inputs or other busses etc... (This is VERY useful when you have to deliver different versions of mixes. My typical Pro Tools template will generate Surround/Stereo/DM&E/M&E/SFX/DIALOGUE/MUSIC/FOLEY/different_languages/etc mixes in one go.

Navigation is faster in my experience. You can easily jump to any marker by typing "dot"marker number"dot"on the numerical pad. (You can even use markers to enable/disable groups etc so the numpad becomes a quick way to enable/disable and change things in your session quickly.

Proper Pen tablet support! (This is huge in itself. This makes me about twice as fast as using the mouse not to mention avoiding RSI).

The list goes on and on. For me Pro Tools is about 8 to 10 times faster for doing post work than Sonar is (And I have been using Sonar for much longer than Pro Tools!)

Of course I am talking about PT HD. In Version 9 that means getting PT|HD, PT|HD Native or PT 9 with the extra Tool Kit. If you do a lot of commercial post work the investment pays for itself in the time saved.

UnderTow

post edited by UnderTow - 2010/12/31 10:06:19
    amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2010/12/31 11:04:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. This makes me feel like a buffoon for doing this work in Sonar. I'm especially jealous about all that automation stuff you were describing. Though I'm mainly a composer, so investing in PT HD is a ridiculous idea for me at this time!

Thanks again for the info-

-Alex
    Cattapan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2010/12/31 13:11:59 (permalink)
    amdrecording

Thanks for the info. This makes me feel like a buffoon for doing this work in Sonar.

PT|HD is a great platform, but I've also done 5.1 work in SONAR for broadcast and theatrical release without problems. YMMV, etc.

George

Cattapan Productions

STUDIO:MSI Z77A-GD65  MB, i7 2600K, 32GB RAM, 2x ATI 5450 Video, 8x SATA Drives, RME FF UFX, Digimax FS, Lavry AD10 & DA10, UAD-2 Quad, UAD-2 Duo, 2x UM3G MIDI, MCU & 2 XT's, SONAR X2a , Windows 7 x64

LAPTOP:Dell Studio 17, i7620m, 8GB RAM, 2x SATA Drives, Line 6 UX2 & Roland Quad Capture, UAD-2 Solo Laptop, Korg nanoKontrol 2, Akai LPK25, SONAR X2a, Windows 7 x64
    OldDog
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2010/12/31 15:26:57 (permalink)
    Interesting thread.  One of my next projects is going to be to shoot and edit down about an hour of random video in Sony Vegas then work in X1 to compose a sound track around it.

For my last project I ended up doing the composing in Sonar 8.5.3 and the final audio assembly right in Vegas.  It was acutally fairly easy to do.  But I missed the ability to have my midi editor right at my fingertips as I refined my final version.
    UnderTow
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/01 11:09:51 (permalink)
    Just to be clear, I was speaking specifically about post production. Not composition/scoring. I use Sonar for music (Not to film) and Pro Tools for post. I can not comment on the differences between PT and Sonar for scoring (although there is probably some overlap between the two types of work).

UnderTow
    amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/01 21:50:32 (permalink)
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean. The big benefit of doing the mix in Sonar is that I can easily introduce some extra music elements if I'm inspired to. Anyway, since I STARTED mixing in stereo, I'm going to have to figure out how to get that over to 5.1 when the time comes. I have some good ideas how I can make it happen, but it's not going to be fun!

-Alex
    amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/01 22:02:56 (permalink)
    I should say also, that I think Sonar is an EXCELLENT tool for scoring to picture. The only hurdle is to render the video file into something manageable, since quicktimes totally don't work.
    OldDog
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 10:57:25 (permalink)
    amdrecording

I should say also, that I think Sonar is an EXCELLENT tool for scoring to picture. The only hurdle is to render the video file into something manageable, since quicktimes totally don't work.

What are you using as a format?
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 13:58:03 (permalink)
    I would avoid rendering a video file in Sonar.  It can be done, but it is waaaay more efficient to render audio in Sonar then marry the audio in a video editing program like Vegas or QT Pro or even windows movie maker.   You will have way more control over the Pic file and it happens much quicker. 
    post edited by Jimbo 88 - 2011/01/02 13:59:19
    kubalibre
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 614
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 15:44:29 (permalink)
    Wow, I wish you best of luck with Sonar and a 5.1 film mix. Sounds to me like trying to shoot an elephant with a kid´s slingshot.

Honestly, buy an app that is more appropriate for that job. Nuendo or ProTools would be the weapons of choice for 5.1 PostPro.

Music sequencing is a field for Sonar.

---------------------------------------------
    all crash on the louspeaker
    kubalibre
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 15:50:03 (permalink)
    UnderTow

Just to be clear, I was speaking specifically about post production. Not composition/scoring. I use Sonar for music (Not to film) and Pro Tools for post. I can not comment on the differences between PT and Sonar for scoring (although there is probably some overlap between the two types of work).

UnderTow

Personally I could not use ProTools for orchestral scoring, first of all, lack of a 64 bit installation- limited amount of RAM because of that, so where do I put my samples, I got rid of my 8+ sample slaves last year and want to have it all in one machine. And MIDI.. still not good enough in ProTools. So in the moment, I still like the combo of Nuendo for scoring + mixing. Sonar was nice for electronic music, I preferred it for that style of production

UnderTow
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:00:28 (permalink)
    kubalibre

Personally I could not use ProTools for orchestral scoring, first of all, lack of a 64 bit installation- limited amount of RAM because of that, so where do I put my samples, I got rid of my 8+ sample slaves last year and want to have it all in one machine.
    Have you looked at VEP? http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/  It is quite a cool application. Solves the whole RAM limitation issue in PT (or any other 32 bit host). (And you could have kept your 8+ sample slaves. :-) ).

Anyway, this is OT.

UnderTow
    Supercomposer
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:13:33 (permalink)
    UnderTow

kubalibre

Personally I could not use ProTools for orchestral scoring, first of all, lack of a 64 bit installation- limited amount of RAM because of that, so where do I put my samples, I got rid of my 8+ sample slaves last year and want to have it all in one machine.
    Have you looked at VEP? http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/  It is quite a cool application. Solves the whole RAM limitation issue in PT (or any other 32 bit host). (And you could have kept your 8+ sample slaves. :-) ).

Anyway, this is OT.

UnderTow
    yep, that is a pretty cool concept, but I wanted to get rid of the maintenance for too many machines. Its so much easier with only one workstation now and have it all in one box with 48 GIG RAM and Kontakt x64.

VEPRO would work I guess, but its really the MIDI editing that keeps me from using ProTools from scoring work. But I guess PT 10 will be great at MIDI editing and have an x64 version, and I´ll be back at the fence !

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
    UnderTow
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:18:16 (permalink)
    Supercomposer

VEPRO would work I guess, but its really the MIDI editing that keeps me from using ProTools from scoring work.
    Fair enough. As I don't do any composing in PT I have no personal experience with PT's MIDI. :-)

UnderTow
    kubalibre
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:19:57 (permalink)
    Supercomposer

UnderTow

kubalibre

Anyway, this is OT.

UnderTow
    yep, that is a pretty cool concept, but I wanted to get rid of the maintenance for too many machines. Its so much easier with only one workstation now and have it all in one box with 48 GIG RAM and Kontakt x64.

VEPRO would work I guess, but its really the MIDI editing that keeps me from using ProTools from scoring work. But I guess PT 10 will be great at MIDI editing and have an x64 version, and I´ll be back at the fence !

I had Vienna Ensemble before. Works pretty well, but if you check out out the VSL forums--- many are moving or moved already to single machine setups. It is easier to keep your setup nice and tidy. Good thing with vienna instruments that the plugs are x64 - no problems here with one machine and Windows7 x64.

UnderTow
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:22:33 (permalink)
    kubalibre

I had Vienna Ensemble before. Works pretty well, but if you check out out the VSL forums--- many are moving or moved already to single machine setups.

Just to make sure it is clear: You can use VEP on a single machine to avoid any 32 bit RAM limitations and to load 32 or 64 bit plugins. Other than that, agreed about the rest.

UnderTow
    amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:22:41 (permalink)
    OldDog

amdrecording

What are you using as a format?
    Good question- it took me a long time to find the right combo. I have a program called AVS video convert. It is very flexible, I can convert just about anything TO just about anything. I've found that the codec "IBM Motion JPG" works best, and I convert everything to AVI. The file size is pretty large, I store the video file on my OS hard drive (mainly to keep it AWAY from my audio drive). Picture quality leave a lot to be desired, but it's EXTREMELY smooth in Sonar.

-A

www.alexdavismusic.com

amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:24:50 (permalink)
    Jimbo 88

I would avoid rendering a video file in Sonar.  It can be done, but it is waaaay more efficient to render audio in Sonar then marry the audio in a video editing program like Vegas or QT Pro or even windows movie maker.   You will have way more control over the Pic file and it happens much quicker. 
    nah, you misunderstood, I wasn't clear. What I'm talking about is finding a file format that plays well in Sonar, NOT creating a video file from within sonar. NO WAY would I do that!!

-Alex
    www.alexdavismusic.com
    post edited by amdrecording - 2011/01/02 16:30:21

www.alexdavismusic.com
    Music for Film, Dance and Multimedia
    amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:29:35 (permalink)
    kubalibre

Wow, I wish you best of luck with Sonar and a 5.1 film mix. Sounds to me like trying to shoot an elephant with a kid´s slingshot.

Honestly, buy an app that is more appropriate for that job. Nuendo or ProTools would be the weapons of choice for 5.1 PostPro.

Music sequencing is a field for Sonar.

yep, but too late now. Although I haven't encountered any huge problems. What are some advantages of Nuendo over Sonar? Very curious about that. In any case, I'm really doing this mix as a favor (even though I'm getting paid quite well for it), and don't have any aspiration to do this kind of work EVER AGAIN... but doing this mix means that I have a lot of control of the overall level of the music compared to SFX and dialof... So I have a huge interest in making sure the music is mixed PERFECTLY. Composers don't often get that chance!

Not going to buy a new program for a single gig, so I'm sticking with the slingshot and the elephant!

www.alexdavismusic.com

post edited by amdrecording - 2011/01/02 16:30:43

www.alexdavismusic.com
    Music for Film, Dance and Multimedia
    Muziekschuur at home
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1442
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 16:59:17 (permalink)
    This is the way to go about.

Create a 5.1. bus. And a stereo bus. Then create sends from the 5.1. to the stereo bus. Now you can A/B between the MASTER 5.1. bus and the STEREO MASTER.

5.1. mixing within Sonar can be done with stereo channels into 5.1. mixing busses or mono channels into 5.1. mixingbusses or, offcourse, 5.1. sources into 5.1. busses. Native Instruments ABSYNTH is 5.1. A Kurzweil Piano can be 5.1. and you might record a guitarcab with some mics to input into a 5.1. bus. Well. There are loads of ways to go about.

BUT.... With mono sources within a 5.1. bus you'd have a single joystick. A Stereochannel into a 5.1. bus gives you two joysticks to controll so you can controll the STEREO WIDTH within the 5 channels. And offcourse the LOW FREQUENCY EFFECT (wich is the bass channel) can be used the same in a mono into a 5.1. bus as with the STEREO WITHIN A 5.1. bus...

To go about 5.1. mixing. First create a 5.1. mix. Then check with the stereomix. You'll quickly notice there is a strong relationship between the two soundstages. And concentrating on that 5.1. mix will help you improve the stereo image...

Hope this helps,

Frans

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Windows 7 32bit & 64bit (dualboot) Gigabyte mobo Intel dual quad 9650 & 4GB Ram RME DIGI9636 & Tascam DM24.  M-audio Rbus & SI-24 Alesis Pro active 5.1 & Radford 90 transmissionline monitors. Roland RD-150 piano Edirol UM-880 & alesis fireport.
    Remote recording Alesis HD-24 & Phonic MRS 1-20.
    P.A. D&R Dayner 29-8-2 & behringer MX8000 (& racks)
    Rackpc Sonar Platinum with win10 AMD X6 1055T, 16GB Ram
     Dell inspiron 17R 6gb ram W10 two SSD's Sonar Plat.
    OldDog
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 17:15:27 (permalink)
    amdrecording

Good question- it took me a long time to find the right combo. I have a program called AVS video convert. It is very flexible, I can convert just about anything TO just about anything. I've found that the codec "IBM Motion JPG" works best, and I convert everything to AVI. The file size is pretty large, I store the video file on my OS hard drive (mainly to keep it AWAY from my audio drive). Picture quality leave a lot to be desired, but it's EXTREMELY smooth in Sonar.

-A

www.alexdavismusic.com
    Excellent.  I will try that.  I assume there are no issues with loosing timing back to your original SMPTE time code right?

I am really getting excited about this, I have been having a blast in X1 so far and if I can get this to work smoothly it will give me a workflow I can live with.

Best, -H

amdrecording
    Re:Mixing a film in 5.1 - Surround panner and Stereo automation 2011/01/02 20:22:33 (permalink)
    Hope it helps! The SMPTE WILL drift if you don't keep track of whatever timecode the source file is. Sonar doesn't support 23.98 (also called 23.976), so 29.97 NON_DROP will work in the place of it, without concern of drifting.

-Alex
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1