Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue??

Author
wayofmind
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
2011/11/07 10:29:20 (permalink)

Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue??

Hello good sirs. So I'm composing to a new project right now but he also wants me to mix the whole thing, which I already agreed to. It's a documentary, so outside of music it's basically all talking.

Now up until now I had assumed that I would lightly compress all of the dialogue and normalize it, then automate the music's volume every-which-way depending on what's going on... But for the most part, if someone's talking, the music is very quiet. Yeah?

That was until I saw the documentary "The Captains" on Netflix. There's a scene where Shatner is interviewing Patrick Stewart, and there's a rather loud piano piece going on. But somehow Patrick's voice sat just perfectly... So you have this loud piano piece during an interview, and somehow it wasn't crowding the dialogue at all.

I was wondering if anyone had some insight in how this would be accomplished, in a somewhat-automated way... As in not having to do EQ cut/boosts manually all the time... Would I have to set up something like sidechain, where the music ducks the instant dialogue occurs?

www.richieblac.com 
Sonar X3e Producer x64
Nuendo 4 
AMD FX 8350
16gb RAM 1600mhz
Windows 8.1
PreSonus Firestudio

9 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/08 08:10:34 (permalink)

Patrick Stewart has a radio voice.

You are just going to have to see how many interviewees have commanding voices like that.

Use the music to further the story content... If you hold yourself to that you'll know when to compete with the dialog.

You'll also discover the power of silence.

Have fun.

best regards,
    mike

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/08 11:07:06 (permalink)
    There are a number of approaches, and you'll likely end up using a combination of all of them.

One trick is have voices panned close to centre, and make sure your musical elements are mostly panned wider than that. Basically create a bit of a gap in the centre for voices.

Another is to use an analyser of some sort to find where the most energy in the individual voices is, frequency-wise. You can get a surprisingly large effect from making small cuts in your music backing at those frequencies.

You can do this as you describe, where it only happens when the voice is speaking, oryou can just leave it set for the duration. I prefer the latter in most cases, though you will sometimes want to fine tune.

The ducking technique you mention is a common one, and it does work, but really it evolved out of necessity for live broadcast radio. You'll get a much less obtrusive effect by doing manual volume automation under the spoken parts, though it can be quite time consuming.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/08 12:59:38 (permalink)
    I'm surprised the question isn't why movie mixes are so bad, at least on DVDs.

At the movie theater, the dialog has its own dedicated channel/amp/speaker because it's considered far more important than any other audio component. Consequently, it's always clear, loud and EQ'd for dialog.

At home, unless you also have a similar center channel for dialog, the music sometimes does indeed mask the dialog, or is way too loud compared to the dialog, continual volume adjustments. I am amazed at how often the audio mix on DVDs is downright awful, while I rarely notice a bad mix at the theater.

One explanation is that multichannel mixes are easier to do. At least, that's what I often hear from mix engineers who do 5.1 and 7.1 mixes. It could be that mix engineers accustomed to multichannel mixing might not be as proficient at stereo mixes.

Post-production guys have specialized tools for making sure dialog is clear. A couple you might want to check out are Elevayta's Space Boy and Wave Arts' Dialog.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/08 19:49:46 (permalink)
    I would not try, especially on the first time out, to try to get the music loud during the voice over.  

Use some compression to keep the vocal strong, but envelope the music so it fades down on the voice over parts. 

The voice over is the more important part of a documentary.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/08 20:02:21 (permalink)

Does anyone make a Robert Altman plugin?

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/14 06:23:25 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Does anyone make a Robert Altman plugin?

I've got one but it only turns up if the conditions are right.  You wouldn't want to rely on it.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    SCorey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 538
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/14 11:18:37 (permalink)
    I just watched "Captains" and I think the main reason the piano didn't drown out the voice was because it was such a sparse piano part. I also heard some ducking when the voice and piano happened to occur at the same time, but for the most part the piano was minimal.

-Steve Corey
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/14 13:00:33 (permalink)
    Hey Wayofmind-

If you are the composer, I would start by making the musical elements appropriate under dialog during the composing/writing process.  This will make your job much easier later on when it's time to mix.  Music generally takes a back seat to dialog and sound effects.

Good luck!

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Myuzishin
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Mixing a film - music is loud but doesn't crowd dialogue?? 2011/11/15 14:00:15 (permalink)
    Agree with above. The music should contribute to the mood, but the dialogue should be the main focus. If the viewer takes his focus away from the dialogue to listen to the music, you've overpowered the dialogue.

You didn't state whether the 'basically all talking' is done by a narrator, or a series of interviews with different people. For obvious reasons, the former will easier to deal with. If it were me, I would strive for consistancy in level and clarity (including noise reduction, etc) of the dialogue, then set the music to enhance.

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the road

MySoundClickPage
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1