Helpful ReplyMixing into a compressor.

Author
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 256
2011/04/12 16:57:53 (permalink)

Mixing into a compressor.

Hi, I've been thinking of doing a mix into a compressor such as the Pro channel with perhaps the saturation engaged too.
Would someone be kind enough to reccomend some settings for attack release and ratio to get me in the ball park.
I know alot of people don't recommend this but i thought i'd give it a go.

Also when you've completed a mix and you go and test it in the car etc, do
you put a limiter on it first or just listen to the mix as it is and then get it mastered.
When i've done a mix i can't help putting a limiter on it first before testing it on other systems and then seem to get bogged down in trying to master it to perfection and after about twenty attempts can't bear to listen to it anymore.
Is this just me and if so am i better off letting someone else master the track and listening to their advice regarding the mix as my room is very small .

Cheers
Steve.

I was faced with a choice at a difficult age
Would I write a book? Or should I take to the stage?
But in the back of my head I heard distant feet
Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/12 17:04:39 (permalink)
if you click at the top of the prochannel there are a bunch of factory settings.it opens up an windows explorer window with a bunch of different presets.this is a place to start..click on the picture of the folder.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/12 17:26:07 (permalink)

Thanks, i do know about the presets but wasn't sure if these are more concerned with putting on a finished mix and they don't say anything about the amount of gain reduction to aim for, or amount of saturaton to be used.

Cheers
Steve.

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/12 19:20:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
For mastering you generally don't want a lot of gain reduction.  I'd start with a low ratio and a few dBs gain reduction.   That all depends upon how loud the mix is, of course, and how loud you want it.  The music itself will determine the attack/release.

Saturation, I don't like the digital kind so much, esp. on finished tracks, but each to his own.  You can definately try and see if it does anything for you. Generally, you add adding a final polish to your tracks during mastering and raising the average volume, not changing the sound.  however, there is no rule that says you can't.

@

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/13 07:48:48 (permalink)
Use the presets.

Normally I will start with a preset and then make the small tweeks to it that I want. I then SAVE it with my own unique name so I have a tweekable (better) starting point the next time.  The original preset stays there with it's name.

I find that even in the same genre, same song style, using the same starting point (preset), I always end up tweaking the preset one way or the other.

For that reason, I encourage you to learn as much as you can about what the various mastering modules are doing, so you understand it at the basic level to know what you are doing and what is happening internally when you turn the knob or move the fader.

Go here> Ozone web site  scroll down to the GUIDES at the bottom and download them. The info there is among the best "in a nutshell" explanation of what is happening.  There's 3 files there.... they do talk about Ozone, but the principles apply across the board.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/17 19:01:46 (permalink)

I think everyones misunderstood what i mean, sorry if i wasn't clear.
I mean putting a comp on the mains at the start of a mix and mixing into it, not after the mix is done.
I do know how to load presets and also know what different Mastering modules do also.
I was watching the Charles Dye video of him doing this and thought i'd give it a try.
I was hoping someone may have some experience with this.

Cheers
Steve.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/17 19:40:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I know what you mean and there are different schools of thought. Some say do a mix without any compression what so ever and do it all later in mastering. Some say you can use a little on your stereo mix buss when you are mixing down.

I used to be in the no compressors at all crowd but have changed my mind. If you want quite a loud master at the end of the day it is not a bad thing to do at all. I have likened this to three coats of light paint is much better than one thick coat at the end. The three light compression coats are firstly on your individual tracks, the second is on some gentle stereo compression and the third and last coat is the mastering compression. That way you can use less compression in all of these areas too which is always better. (Mostly)

The mix can change when compression is added and it is another reason for using a two buss compressor. Settings wise I use a low ratio eg 1.3: 1. Slow the attacks down a little to let transients though. Leave the mix transients intact. Release to taste but try and get into the groove of the music. Threshold set for about 2 or 3 db gain reduction. This type of setting will just add a small amount of glue over the whole mix. It is just noticable.

Remember ratios multiply so if you have got a 1.3:1 compressor on your mix buss alter your track compressors ratio by dividing 1.3 into the existing track ratios. If a track ratio was say 4:1 on a bass sound then change it to 3:1.

I am not a great fan of presets. Presets don't know much about the music they are acting on. They might be a good starting point. I tend to treat each piece of music separately in terms of fine tuning compressors.

Watch out putting your great mix through an average sounding compressor as well. It might give you the two buss compression you are seeking but then it might also impose a non ideal sound over your whole mix. Anything you put your final mix through needs to sound good! It needs to be a nice sounding compressor. I find (quality) digital compressors good here as they can be very transparent and not add in any colour to the mix. I use a Yamaha digital mixer and there is a great built in stereo compressor on the mix buss. (as well as every input and every output!) It sounds good and is very transparent.

Check out this thread here. It is about a way of removing the music in a null test state so you can clearly hear what you compressor is actually up to!!

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2282782

I would not necessarily be putting Pro Channel over your whole mix either. It may not be the right type of buss compressor or it could be, not sure. Experiment..It might a different plugin you need there.

Also check out this link which is a thread I started and contains some very useful advice about how to set up compressor parameters generally.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2116921

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/04/17 19:47:24

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 02:55:41 (permalink)

Thanks Jeff, i've read your threads with great interest.Do you think about 1db of gain reduction on the output buss with just the kick on would be a good place to start the mix and then bring everything else in to taste.
Also would mild saturation be good on the output buss whilst mixing?

Cheers
Steve.

Jeff Evans
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 05:39:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Hi Steve I tend to adjust the stereo compressor with everything in the mix and just keep an eye on the gain reduction meter or indicator. I usually aim for about 3 db on loudest parts. All the rules apply for getting your mix happening in the first place.

Now saturation on a whole mix is probably something I would not do so much. I prefer this compressor to be cleaner and more transparent. Nothing to stop you from doing this if it is a slightly retro distorted analog sound you might be after on purpose over a whole mix.

But I am sure one would be using sub busses as well and there could be some busses that would benefit from saturation being applied. eg distorted guitar buss. Some keyboard synth pads benefit from being saturated a bit too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 08:58:07 (permalink)
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo

I think everyones misunderstood what i mean, sorry if i wasn't clear.
I mean putting a comp on the mains at the start of a mix and mixing into it, not after the mix is done.
I do know how to load presets and also know what different Mastering modules do also.
I was watching the Charles Dye video of him doing this and thought i'd give it a try.
I was hoping someone may have some experience with this.

Cheers
Steve.

but you mentioned "Pro Channel" so if you're talking about the Pro Channel in X1 then you can't do this.  you cannot put a software compressor on the track before it gets recorded.  you have to use a hardware compressor to do that.  software compressors are always AFTER the A/D conversion and cannot be "printed" to the recording before it gets saved on your hard drive.  only hardware can do that.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 10:38:51 (permalink)

I wasn't talking about recording i was talking about mixing when the tracks are already in the box and putting a compressor on the mains out before starting the mix so your mixing into it.

Cheers
Steve.

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 11:02:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
i've mixed into a 2buss compressor for years now....

i do what jeff describes, but use even less reduction. i sit at -1 to -2 at the most...

i use a 1.25:1 ratio...

the attack is solely dependent on the material, as is the release..
but typically, i don't have less than 50ms on attack...
anywhere from 150-275ms on the release.

no makeup gain. 

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 11:03:43 (permalink)
i use an analog external compressor during tracking.

i've never heard a plugin, that works well while tracking.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 11:24:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
One thing about mixing into a bus comp is that you get a better idea how the song will sound mastered, ie. at a louder average level.  Esp. if you are just starting out, a mastering job can surprise you with what you hear.

This is just a matter of finding a method of mixing that works for you.  Some mix with a bus comp, some don't.  There isn't any hard and fast rule, but the above is true.  Until you understand what effect mastering can have upon your stage, you are mixing in the dark, so to speak.  At the very least you should check your mix w/ an output comp.

@

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 11:54:37 (permalink)

Thanks for the great info, it's just what i was looking for.

Cheers
Steve.

D.J. ESPO
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 21:21:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Jeff Evans
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/18 22:05:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Excellent link above from DJEspo This is the actual article that turned me around and got me into using it more and more.

You don't have to do it all the time either. As I said earlier if its a loud track you want at the end of the day then this is a good way to go.

Some studios even have a good quality stereo compressor that can be patched into the monitors while you mix. This is a great idea. It does not get printed of course but does let you hear what could happen in mastering further down the track. If you have got a spare rack stereo compressor lying around then press it into service doing this. You wont be disappointed.

Also batsbrew the Yamaha mixer I have has the lowest ratio set at 1.3 which is a bit of a drag. Like you I would not mind going a little under eg 1.2 as you say. Also the gain reduction meter on this compressor only shows -2db then the next segment is at -4db. This is also not ideal and I probably keep it at -2 db most of the time as you say. So I am probably not even going to -3db a lot of the time either. But even with such gentle settings I can hear it adding glue to the mix. It is subtle but definitely there. It makes for a louder master later on for sure.

Its when you start using very low ratios eg 1.2:1 but driving the compressor quite hard you can get some good results. Even though you might be driving it hard, it does not sound it because the ratio is so shallow. But stick to -2 db or -3 db GR and you won't go wrong with that.

batsbrew
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/19 11:12:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
i mix into waves C1 compressor.

it's an excellent BASIC compressor, highly recommended.

i know there are other better plugs.... but i like this one.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/24 09:31:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Steve,

IMHO... With the final mix/master, with pro-channel, per others above, the presets are the best starting point; the same holds for other limiters.

My compressor is mostly the limiter/maximizer: cw Boost11, Ozone4's, or Waves LL multimaximizer series.  (Ozone4 is my fav)

None of these maximizer-compressors flaunt attack release settings (IIRC) ... they are brickwall to transparent ... using propietary alogorhyms, IIRC.

Depending on your mix techniques and genre ... your stem-busses or master may need less or more.

I always compress/maximize before doing car stereo listens ... the traffic competes and makes my mix sound tinny if too 'uncompressed'.

'Hope this helps.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
droddey
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/24 17:04:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I would agree that, if you are going to succumb to modern fashion and end up with a stupidly compressed song, then you should probably stupidly compress it yourself because only then will you know how it's going to sound. The mastering engineer won't have the flexibility you have of going back and adjusting individual levels and EQ to compensate for crazy amounts of compression and how it can affect things.

This is a common argument on these various fora, where some people seem to think that the mastering engineer has some magic that no one else has and others say the mix engineer should do what he feels is right. I don't see the argument for letting the mix leave your hands when it's not how you think it should be. It's your mix, you are the mixer, if you want it more compressed, then do it. That's part of the mix as you see it, and the mastering engineer has the last control over the individual elements of anyone in the process. If nothing else, it shows the mastering engineer what you are thinking, even if he wants to go back to the pre-compressed version and take another whack at it, right?

I personally find it hard to mix into a compressor, because any changes can affect how hard you are hitting the compressor and so things can change in seemingly random ways unless you are constantly re-checking the level of compression going on. If I do any, I wait till the end and use an outboard compressor and I'll adjust at that point if necessary. To the degree I can I try to record things as they should sound to begin with and use appropriate compression on the individual tracks as recorded. It's an ongoing process of learning to do that, but ultimately it'll make for better results.

Some of my use of the outboard compressor is to use it to bring up the levels a good way in the analog realm instead of digitally, and push the tube output state of the compressor a bit.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
D.J. ESPO
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/26 01:29:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I like what Mr. Massive Master has to say in post  14 of this thread.......

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/173236-what-difference-between-rms-peak.html

Quote;What I meant by the above statement was that there are a lot of (usually "less seasoned" for lack of a better term) engineers out there who shoot themselves in the foot by tracking and/or mixing "for volume" -- Destroying the dynamics, using up all the available headroom at the first stage - along with pretty much every subsequent stage.

That's not the way to make recordings that can actually handle "loud" later.

Track with plenty of headroom. Mix with plenty of headroom. Don't throw limiters all over the place just to get the mix "loud" -- Do whatever it takes to make the mix sound *good* and don't be concerned so much with volume.

I'm not saying not to use limiters -- But as a "rule of thumb," if you find a mix actually sounds better - And I mean *BETTER* -- Not "better because it's louder" -- If it actually sounds better being rammed into a limiter, take the limiter off and find out why. Maybe one thing in that mix is truly "too dynamic" for the rest of the mix. Put the limiter on THAT and see how it sounds. Use a compressor when something has a dynamic range that's too wide for the mix -- Not because someone told you that everybody compresses everything so it can be louder.

"Punch" and "impact" comes from the difference between loud and quiet - Not the absence of quiet. And although I'm not a fan of the current "level insanity" going on, it's better to have decent sounding recordings that have the potential to be loud than loud sounding recordings that should be shut off. Almost invariably, it's those dynamic, wide-crest mixes that have that potential.

Mixing "hot" doesn't do anything to make your finished product louder. Tracking hot doesn't either (I don't even want to get into the nastiness that can happen from tracking too hot). Headroom is good room. Keep it, love it, cherish it - Your mastering guy (even if that's yourself, which I also won't get into) is almost undoubtedly going to use it all up... Give him some room to move
end quote

P.S.

Dear CW ,
Your forum software BLOWS
D.J. ESPO
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/26 01:31:11 (permalink)
 Use a compressor when something has a dynamic range that's too wide for the mix -- Not because someone told you that everybody compresses everything so it can be louder.

What a concept !!!!!
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/26 02:38:45 (permalink)
D.J. ESPO

Use a compressor when something has a dynamic range that's too wide for the mix -- Not because someone told you that everybody compresses everything so it can be louder.

What a concept !!!!!

i dont know who you are..but those are some great words i live by every mix.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

droddey
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:Mixing into a compressor. 2011/04/26 15:34:40 (permalink)
Though, to be fair, compressors aren't always used to reduce dynamic range. They are also often used as envelope shapers that won't have a really substantial effect on dynamic range. And sometimes they can increase punch by increasing the apparent difference between the initial impact and any subsequent trailing sound.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1