Mixing !!!

Author
Art1820m
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
2014/04/04 22:30:57 (permalink)

Mixing !!!

m having a problem I would be very grateful if anyone can help me. the thing is I can get a tight sound and a good balance between Kick and Bass gtr, but in the overall mix the kick and bass are too upfront, like your listening to the song from next the kick drum and bass guitar on stage with the band.,  However, when I lower them the other sounds start to become more high in volume,.,  I heard a lot of commercial mixes and the real professional ones dont have that much bass "kick and bass" upfront,. everything is in order, (Low - section )drums, bass, chord section (mid - section) vocals up front, and stabs such as brass come little bright ,hit and go. others sound warm. I tried cutting highs from instruments with high-shelve the ones that should be in the back but still not what Im looking for. I use highpass and lowpass filters , my main problem is the kick and bass, I start to balance them together and build on that and at the end thats my problem. Am I in a loop??? YESS . someone mentioned something about a converter D/A ,. All my stuff is mostly samples , synths,. besides vocal and Bass guitar.. could it be the interface converter ????
I have a M-audio profire 2626. 
I would be very grateful if anyone can help me,

Intel Desktop From MARS, the planet ..  
application: Sonar  version 8.5.3 PE

Samplitude Pro X
sound card   Focusrite Scarlette

more of my stuff
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Artbluevibe

6 Replies Related Threads

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Mixing !!! 2014/04/04 23:34:44 (permalink)
    Sounds like some complimentary eq-ing would work for you. Try cutting the bass (using a bell curve) around 75hz or so. Then boost the kick at that same frequency (same bell curve). Then cut the kick at 120hz or so, and then boost the bass at that frequency. That way they're nor stepping on each other's toes, and you can bring them up in the mix a little without overloading the low frequencies in your mix. Experiment with the cut and boost frequencies. I was just providing an example. Everyone's got there own preferences. Good luck!
    Art1820m
    Re: Mixing !!! 2014/04/04 23:54:47 (permalink)
    thanks, this is an example that I wanna achieve ->     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHQMJKb1AYY

Samplitude Pro X

more of my stuff
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re: Mixing !!! 2014/04/05 12:23:33 (permalink)
    yeah, It sounds like you have some heavy masking going on so you are pushing them both up to far then pulling down to far and chasing yer tail...
    Depending on the style you are going for the solution may vary bud.  For me, for that modern rock sound with a warm bottom end I find I like the bass to have a presence below the kick but it cant be too much or it gets boomy with too much sub lows.  Off the top of my head some basic eq settings might look like this....
    Kick:  HP at around 55-60hz,  I pull out a little of the flappy carboard sound in the 300-400 range, then give it a wide boost of a db or 2 somewhere above that to bring out some attack/click.
    Bass guitar:  Naturally has a ton of information from around 40 hz all the way up to around 600 hz but it is too damn much for most mixes that way, the curve is all out-of -whack.  Bass is probably the instrument I have to bend into shape the most with Eq to get it to sit right.
      I will HP it at say 45 hz, but then ad a low shelf pulling down 2-6db  everything from 45 up to say 250-300 to get the bottom under control.  Use an analyzer to see where the basses natural low end mountain is rising too high & take it down a bit!  I low pass a bass (depending on the player,sound, weather they used fingers or a pick) sometimes at 8K, sometimes as low as 2500k to cut off the nothing that is up there, and boost some of those presence frequencies just below it to taste to get he attack and clarity from the bass so it cuts through the mix. Sometimes I go back and ad a little bell curve giving the bass back some meat below the kick at around 50hz just to warm it back up but only 1-2 db

What I end up with is kind of an interlocked marrying of the kick and bass: 
    From the bottom up first you get a little bass warmth (50hz), then the tight bottom of the kick (60hz),  then the meat and presence of the bass (300-800hz meat, 1-3k presence)  and then the kick beater sound (1-4k ish). 
      The balance is really a dance we play with the human ear bud.  Trial and error.  I hope this helps some.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Jay Tee 4303
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 246
    Re: Mixing !!! 2014/04/06 10:23:33 (permalink)
    Some samples, and even some sample players use heavy compression, which will bring things forward in the mix.

Definitely look into what others have posted, but start with the signal source, as its easier to work with when its right from the get go.

Your ear may be attracted to the comped samples in isolation, then not be able to reconcile them in the demands of a busy mix.

IBM PC/XT
    1 MB RAM
    8087 Math Co-Processor
    5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
    Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re: Mixing !!! 2014/04/06 13:20:51 (permalink)
    It's really hard to guess how to fix a problem without hearing it.  Might I suggest posting a link to your song here, or in the songs forums?

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Art1820m
    Re: Mixing !!! 2014/04/10 05:09:40 (permalink)
    thanks for all the reply guys, I finally had to change the kick of the track, it was to big and I was spending days trying to fix and still not satisfied,,. I found a nice tight kick that works perfect for the track. now im almost there and working on blending the kick and bass to fit in the rest of the mix,. getting the kick and Bass to fit together I have no problem doing but my main challenge is to get them fit in the mix so they dont sound to upfront. I want to have them sit nicely in the back and still punchy,.. for this i have setup kick and bass to a buss and compressed and a little low-shelve cut like 1 db to make them blend with the rest .,. is there anything you guys can suggest how to achieve this or how different engineers will approach this so that kick and bass aren't overpowering?

Thanks!!

Samplitude Pro X

more of my stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1