Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering,

Author
martinstan
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
2005/01/30 13:20:50 (permalink)

Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks
I'm back with another song people seemed to quite like my other effort which to be honest suprised me but thanks for that. As the same question applies to this as in my first offering, I've cut 'n pasted the relevant question in (appologies if you have read it before). as follows...
I play in a simple covers band and I'm trying to produce a basic CD of 3 songs to tout for gigs. It doesn't have to be chart topping quality, just reasonable. Now I know as a live duo we sound pretty good but as soon as I try and record songs we sound like a duller than Mr dull from dullsville. I suppose I may be expecting too much because I'm by no means set up as a recording studio. It is home recording in the true sense of the phrase. A room in my home. This is my set up.

Cakewalk home studio
Pentium computer
Gibson SG
Marshall 50 combo
PA system with recording outputs
Pentium computer
SM58 mic (with pooper-stopper)
Technics electric piano
My slightly dodgy voice

All the backing (drums and bass) is written by myself with Fruity Loops.

This is what I'm doing.

Importing backing as a wav file.
DI the Guitar track through Marshall.
DI keyboard through PA.
DI vocal through PA.
Im adding no effects at all at the point of recording.

Again the track supplied is totally unmixed. It's exactly as it was recorded but I'd love to be able to just add that bit of sparkle in the mix stage. I gotta be honest I really don't know where to start. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
Martin

http://www.six22.biz/beetroot/backdown.mp3

15 Replies Related Threads

zepo1a
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/01/30 20:43:41 (permalink)
    Sounds very MIDIish...just sounds too programmed or something.

Mix is OK, music tho, is robotic.

Zep--
    martinstan
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/01/31 02:49:41 (permalink)
    AAh. I see what you mean. That could be the nail on the head. Is there any way of somehow putting some 'air' through it? I've tried things like reverb and delay but they just don't seem to do it, unless I'm just using 'em badley.
    Cheers Zep
    MofineStudios
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/01/31 10:00:28 (permalink)
    Is there any way of somehow putting some 'air' through it? I've tried things like reverb and delay but they just don't seem to do it, unless I'm just using 'em badley.

Was gonna listen to it but the link is not working.Instead of Direct Input,try micing your amps.You will get a better tone.Iv'e been using Direct Input,and my tone sucks.It could also be my cheap guitar.
    martinstan
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/01/31 11:45:57 (permalink)
    Thanks Mofine,
    I think you could well have a point there. The guitar does sound a bit lifeless and 'robotic' as zep has already pointed out which could result from it not being mic'ed up. By the way the link is working. You need to go into the beetroot folder and the mp£ is in there.
    MofineStudios
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/01/31 12:12:39 (permalink)
    Still can't get link to work.Might go into the gear or techniques forumn,and ask for the best way to mic an elec.Alot of ppl have been using the pod xt,and it works great for direct input,but otherwise,micing is your best bet.Might try the same with your keyboards.Also make sure you have good bass and drum samples.Better samples will give a more realistic sound.Last but not least,a good preamp.

Hope this helps.
    MofineStudios
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/01/31 12:24:30 (permalink)
    Ok,I just went straight to the website.The guitar certainly sounded like it lost some of its tone from direct inputting.Couldn't hear the background music too well over the vocals.Might try increasing the volume of the drums,especially the snare.Bass came out pretty good,but you might try to find a better sample.
    martinstan
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/01/31 13:38:50 (permalink)
    Hi Steve
    Glad you managed to listen to it. I've heard the'pre amp' idea mentioned several times now on this forum. You've already given over time to my question but could you either fill me in with what is involved with a pre amp or point me in a direction where I can find out myself.
    Thanks in advance
    Martin
    MofineStudios
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/01/31 21:16:23 (permalink)
    Usually the preamps in most soundboards arn't the greatest,to make them more affordable.You can buy seperate preamps that are better,which is important for vocals and bass.But if your just making a demo,probaly not that important.Right now you would probaly want to concentrate on better tone and samples.
    pilfa
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 410
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/02/02 07:41:49 (permalink)
    well put together song but the sounds are a little dated. Still well put together
    praline
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/02/02 08:04:30 (permalink)
    Play with the velocity settings on your drum loops. Make each hit a little different. There is also an offset function in FL, which lets you offset the timing, a few milliseconds here and there will add humanizing. You could also apply a small amount of shuffle quantize to get a more human feel. Your link dosen't work for me, but I will listen to it and let you know.
    Paul

Enjoy my music at:
    http://www.cdbaby.com/Praline
    martinstan
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/02/02 10:16:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for your suggestion Praline.
    Again techniques I didn't even know exsisted. I'm hoping to sit down this weekend and try and remix the tracks so I'll certainly have a go with this. I'd really like to not have to re play the instrumentation and redo the vocals if I can help it.

The link definitely works. It takes you to the beetroot folder-go in there and click on the backdown.mp3.

Cheers
    http://www.six22.biz/http://www.six22.biz/
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/02/02 10:50:25 (permalink)
    The link in your first post doesn't work...the last one does...
    If you want the Tom Petty wall of guitars sound you're going to have to record them differently...way too buzzy and direct sounding...
    also try 2 or 3 git parts and pan them left and right
    right now everything is dead center...

RLD
    martinstan
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/02/03 06:14:25 (permalink)
    Hi RLD
    Thanks for your advice. I like the sound of panning guitars. Can it be over done or is it just down to preference? Should things like vocals, keyboards and drums generally remain central in the mix?
    I'm getting the idea now that I'm going to need to redo the guitar parts. Is it standard to crank up he guitars to record them?
    Cheers
    Stan
    MofineStudios
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/02/03 12:14:21 (permalink)
    Should things like vocals, keyboards and drums generally remain central in the mix?

Ld Vocal,Bass Guitar,Snare,Bass Drum,down the middle.Pan everything else,even backup vocals.If you have more than one backup voacal you can pan one right,and one left,and see how that sounds.I usually pan the guitars around 30,then the backup vocals before or after.Make a pocket for your lead vocals.It will give your mix a spread,and the instruments won't be competing with each other.I guess the amount of pan is personal preference,just have to play around with it.

I use the drum map in sonar,so it pans the drums for me.Never used Fuity Loops,and it might also pan the drums.The toms,cymbals,ride,and hi hat are usually panned also.You can start with high toms to the left,and pan them all the way down to the right.
    post edited by MofineStudios - 2005/02/03 12:26:29
    martinstan
    RE: Mixing suggestions please. 2nd offering, 2005/02/03 15:33:54 (permalink)
    Superb!
    thanks for all this good advice I'm getting here. I've followed your links and your stuff sounds really well mixed so I can't wait to try out some ideas.
    Thanks again.
    Martin
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1