Mona Lisa

Author
Bacco
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2017/08/06 06:31:32 (permalink)

Mona Lisa

Been working on this tune for a couple weeks now and needed to kick it out the door. Few spots are potentially sketchy but hopefully not distracting (if so please comment). If you're familiar with Nat King Cole's version and also Tommy Emmanuel's version you may hear some influences. This song is a little out of my comfort zone in terms of style so it was a great exercise for me.

https://youtu.be/A18r0nYfFA8
post edited by pcolangelo - 2017/08/06 08:45:26

24 Replies Related Threads

optimus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/06 09:04:50 (permalink)
    Once again you have captured that beautiful big guitar sound and enhanced it with your voice.
    I like this interpretation of Nat's old song very much.

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
    AndyB01
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/06 09:06:24 (permalink)
    Wow! I loved the guitar tone - now why can't I get my Taylor to sound like that? (Don't answer that I think I know why - the problem lies with the pick: it's got me on the other end of it). 😂

Back to your cover, I thought it was teriffic - yes there was the odd sketchy moment but not sure I could tell you where so they did not detract from the overall performance and anyway - who cares - it had a wonderful live feel and I absolutely loved it. Andy

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/06 15:02:55 (permalink)
    Very nicely done!
    Taylor direct thru their "flux capacitor" system?
    Wow...
    T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Bacco
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/06 17:35:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the nice comments! I've been very satisfied with Taylor's system, having the direct signal allows me to mix the guitar without vocal bleed so I can get a nice mix. Plus, I did just restring the guitar the day before  
    AndyB01
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/06 17:39:46 (permalink)
    Taylor's ES2 expression system is an exceptional piece of work. I swear once you buy a Taylor you're hooked for life. I adore my 314ce - best guitar I have ever owned by many a mile.

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/06 22:39:25 (permalink)
    I have the first year "flux capacitor" system, it went "tits up"!
    Evidently that is why we are now at ES2?
    I hate being that guy that helps "work out the bugs"...
    It too (my 814) sounds gorgeous: thru a R121 or R121 and R84 in a Blumlien pair...
    And you are right; "once you buy a Taylor you're hooked for life".
    I've yet to play a Taylor that was not a fine instrument.
    But we are getting off topic.
    T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Bacco
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/06 22:53:11 (permalink)
    hah! I agree, I used to work in a guitar repair shop so I saw a lot of acoustics go through and I always gravitated towards Taylors so when I went shopping for a new acoustic a few years back I didn't bother looking at other brands. I was nervous at first about the ES system because of many reviews but they certainly released a great product with ES2. I actually did not even anticipate using the system except for live but plugging in direct for a recording has been awesome because I don't have to worry about getting the right mic placement every time I go to record, i.e., no need to worry so much about tone continuity between songs. 
    Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/07 00:34:24 (permalink)
    Cool version and interpretation of others works. 

If you ever get bored and want to collaborate on someone's original songs that require a special voice, give me a shout. 

Enjoyed hearing this.

Thanks for sharing the heart through sound! 

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/07 14:20:48 (permalink)
    Wow Philip, talk about excellent recording and playing on this.....that Taylor just stole the show. Your vox and playing made it all look/sound effortless.
    (now you got me looking into that ES2 )

Great job on this!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/09 17:54:43 (permalink)
    Sounds nice here.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Bacco
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/09 20:29:08 (permalink)
    @Serious_Noize! Thanks! Cool, let's keep a collaboration in mind. 

@Mesh, it's a great instrument/tool! thanks for the kind words. 

@Wookiee, thanks for the feedback!  
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/09 22:35:21 (permalink)
    hey fella, the choice of song is serendipitous.  This is the song that I always sing when I go out karaoke, that and Delila,  and There's Got to Be a Morning After.

I find the guitar to be nice and upfront, cleanly played, understated, and solid.  I didn't read the other posts, but this sounds like the guitar was recorded through a real amp.

I personally would like the vocals to be turned up just a tad, but that is me.

you gots goods man

Thanks, I sang along with it, a great song to sing along to.

Jesse Q Screed
    Bacco
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/10 01:42:44 (permalink)
    Hey Jesse, thanks for the comment! It was a cool exercise to mix 2 tracks (vocal mic and direct guitar). Sort of an exercise in making the most out of a little, glad you liked it! 

It's definitely a fun song to sing. I love the way Nat King Cole phrased and pronounced his parts, very classy. Maybe I'll give it a go the next time I find myself at a karaoke bar :D 

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/10 23:07:42 (permalink)
    I thought the performance was just great, so I won't comment further about that. I doubt you could improve it.

As to sonics, they were good. Some things that may improve them though:

1) I would back off the reverb a little for both the instrument and vocals.

2) I may be wrong because we're trying to cut down on our electric bill, so I've got a fan going a few feet behind me instead of having the air on, and it may be mucking with the sound a little, but it sounds to me like you might have a bit too much compression on the guitar. (Now I'll really feel silly if you tell me you aren't using any at all!)

3) I think you would benefit from having the mic closer to thicken up both the guitar and the vocals.

4) I used to have a 314ce with the 1st Expression System and found a Boss AD-5 preamp thickened it up considerably. I don't know for sure that it would work on the newer one, but it might be worth looking for a used one. Boss never should have quit making that unit.

Again, your recording was very good and the performance was perfect. I'm just suggesting things that might make the recording even better. And I could certainly be wrong!

Bill
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/10 23:33:57 (permalink)
    Actually, skip all that. It's 83 in here, and I'm not about to turn the fan off. But honestly, it's mucking with the sound so much that I can't be sure about anything. Well, except that I like your playing and singing!

Do check out the Boss AD-5 though if you run across one some day. It may not work on every pickup system, but it does wonders for most of them. That's just good advice for everybody. If mine ever gives up the ghost, I may have to quit playing.
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/11 03:24:27 (permalink)
    pcolangelo
    Hey Jesse, thanks for the comment! It was a cool exercise to mix 2 tracks (vocal mic and direct guitar). Sort of an exercise in making the most out of a little, glad you liked it! 

It's definitely a fun song to sing. I love the way Nat King Cole phrased and pronounced his parts, very classy. Maybe I'll give it a go the next time I find myself at a karaoke bar :D 

This is what I try to do,make the most out of very little.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Bacco
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/11 04:46:34 (permalink)
    @ Wayfarer: Ha! and thanks for your feedback/tips, I'll check out the AD-5 for sure. Over here in CA we've had some pretty hot summer days, in fact, when I recorded my cover of Going to California I (obv) turned off the AC unit for takes, but by the second shot, I was already sweating like crazy! I also unplug the fridge lol 

More to your point, in my Mona Lisa video, if you listen closely, there's a very low rumble that you almost feel more than you hear. It's so subtle that you might only hear it with headphones. It's something that I need to look into but I've been so busy playing/recording I haven't taken the time to debug it. I'm sure it's coming in from the pickup line but I don't believe the pick up is to blame, maybe some interference or could be the cable. In any case, the compression/gain stage isn't helping there and I probably should have put a high pass / Q EQ cut on the acoustic bus. 

@ Eph221: Good words to mix by!
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/21 20:46:53 (permalink)
    Wow...     Sorry, that's all I've got at the moment.   

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/21 22:49:44 (permalink)
    That was great.

Your low rumble might be when you recorded the vocal, if the voc was recorded separately. Sounded a little like mic stand vibration, which always tries to contribute a little something, bless its heart.

I'd second the recommendation of the Boss AD-5 but what you have got sounds very very good.

When I first began listening (on headphones) my very first thought was "Too much vocal reverb" but as I kept listening, I found it didn't bother me. Great playing and singing as well.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/22 17:46:41 (permalink)
    very nice indeed. A bit too much reverb for my taste but really well performed.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/26 13:39:26 (permalink)
    I thought it was very good . The only thing is I feel there is a disconnect between the visual end of the video and the sound of your production .
    The sound of your production blows away the look of your video
    At some point down the road you may want to consider keeping the music / song production as it is and making a video that is more in tune with the song ...
    Some possible visual approaches could be you playing your guitar to a cool looking Lady out side at a cafe , or doing some outdoors type of serenade using a hottie . Still shots could work well also combined with you home shots ..
    Maybe a local club or restaurant  will let you film a few segments during an off hour where it wouldn't matter so much about recreating the sound since you already nailed that end of things 

What am I saying here ...a little lip and fret syncing job along the way to add interest to your musical performance can give your video a nice touch and bring it over the top ...even if you slapped on some nice duds / cloths and stood in front of a green screen and then added a backround you would be good to go...
    Every body does it get with the program    trust me man , your a good looking guy , do you want to play for a bunch of guitar players on u tube that got their arms crossed while they look at your fingers ? or do you want to work what you got to get your music up a notch or two to help get you to where you want to go ...

all  the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Bacco
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/26 20:41:02 (permalink)
    @SteveC, enough said, thanks!!!

@emeraldsoul, thanks for the feedback, I struggle turning down reverb although that's the one constructive criticism I I get somewhat consistently. Moving forward definitely will be more sensitive to the reverb level, confidence and reverb level I believe are inversely related :D Reverb to mix not to hide! 

@daryl1968, thanks! Same response as above ^ 

@Kenny, I totally agree and thanks for your input. The video production value is lacking significantly and I struggle in this department each time I record. Currently, I'm just recording the video on my cell phone... the most advanced video equipment I have is a plastic tripod that holds my phone :D I've done some preliminary searching for a better video camera but haven't decided if the cost will provide the same level of benefit. As far as quality, I think the biggest issue to overcome is the lighting. I have a lot of windows in my place but the sun doesn't get in much. As far as content, I need to outsource/delegate this to someone who has a passion in this area. I can help with a vision but the actual execution and detail I would rather not worry about. I'm hoping that as I progress and network I'll meet more people and hopefully find some local talent in this area. I'm trying to craft live recordings, for now, in each video I have made the audio and video is recorded simultaneously. I am planning on doing a few tunes that aren't all live but I have not decided on what the video value will be... more than likely it'll just be a vocal cover video, or lyric video...  then someday I'll finish my originals :D  
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/26 23:05:12 (permalink)
    Hi pcolangelo ,

I'm real glad you took my feedback on your video in the spirit I meant it to be taken at ...
    Your still a young talented player . With the chops you have in your voice and the guitar I wish you the best.
    Hey man , your Dad Rocks on his version of The Jimi version of The Star spangled Banner ...Oh my Lord

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Bacco
    Re: Mona Lisa 2017/08/26 23:22:50 (permalink)
    He nailed it, right!? Growing up he used to play it on the 4th but for the past 15-20 years, nothing, so I recorded my own version this past 4th and it sparked his interest again... plus that video wasn't taken at his house so he wasn't worried about the neighbors :D 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1