"Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass!

Author
jwnicholson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 386
2005/08/08 22:11:11 (permalink)

"Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass!

Greetings,

I just posted a new version of my acoustic fingerstyle guitar piece, "Monday Morning, 6AM" to Soundclick:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=378198

This version has been vastly improved by an excellent new bass line from ed_mcg. The old version is also posted for comparison. So check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jeff

11 Replies Related Threads

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/08 22:34:13 (permalink)
    Very nice, Jeff!

Love the overall feel, and your parts (acoustic & Ed's bass) are great together. Loved when the organ entered, too. But this piece is crying for a melody! Yes, the guitar has some thematic bits, but it's the accompaniment to the melody - which isn't on here yet.

You may want to think about adding some variety into the percussion track, too. It's quite simple and repetitive; but maybe that's all you want.

Unless you only want to establish a mood, I'd say don't stop - this one's not done. But I really like what you have so far! (And, great job, Ed! Very tasteful playing - work's great with Jeff's guitar work.)

M
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/09 01:25:17 (permalink)
    Nice, laid-back feel. The bass does add a lot! Nice clean playing. For my taste, there need to be more changes for a 4+ minute song... more different chord progression... maybe a lead instrument like a woodwind or even an acoustic playing lead... but that's a matter of personal taste.

Overall, nice work!

PS. Monday Morning 6 am sounds like it would be a very depressing song. What a dark topic.
    post edited by mlockett - 2005/08/09 01:31:06
    jwnicholson
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/09 09:21:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments. Seems like both M and mlockett are saying essentially the same thing. I've always felt that the guitar was the melody in this song and didn't want to add too much that would take away from the focus of the interplay between the bass and the guitar - especially now with Ed's playing. But considering I have heard similar things from a few people it is worth thinking about. Thank's for listening and taking the time to comment.

PS. Monday Morning 6 am sounds like it would be a very depressing song. What a dark topic.

You know, that's what I thought, too! But you would be surprised how many people have said to me something like"Monday Morning, 6AM, what a lovely thought. Birds chirping, coffee brewing, a fresh new day!" My response is usually along the lines of "bleh."
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/10 08:20:02 (permalink)
    Jeff,
    This mix turned out really well. It's an enjoyable tune, but the folks have a point, I could just imagine a Tom Waits vocal line moaning about should he go to sleep now for half and hour or just go to work in the state he's in; that kind of idea ;-)

I had fun, thanks.
    jwnicholson
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/11 06:17:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Jeff,
    This mix turned out really well. It's an enjoyable tune, but the folks have a point, I could just imagine a Tom Waits vocal line moaning about should he go to sleep now for half and hour or just go to work in the state he's in; that kind of idea ;-)

I had fun, thanks.

I definitely think they make some good points. I am kind of torn about whether I agree or not. In my informal polling of friends I have played the tune for about half think it is complete and half would like to see more added. So I think it is best to put it on the back burner and let it percolate for a while. I spent a lonnnggg time working on that project since it was one of my first big Sonar projects, so I was sort of learning (and making lots of mistakes) as I went. So time to play with something new for a while.

Best,
    Jeff
    mewsician2
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/11 18:21:34 (permalink)
    What a nice tune!
    Crying for vocals, but very nicely played, and the instruments sound great.
    variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/11 19:53:21 (permalink)
    Cool & groovin'!! I really like what the bass adds to this...gives it a bit of swing!Really like your style of playing.Nice job guys!!
    jwnicholson
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/12 08:04:30 (permalink)
    Hi Variaxman and Mewsician2,

Thanks for the comments. Really appreciate you listening.
    Best,
    Jeff
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/14 14:55:07 (permalink)
    Ouch I don't want to be lynched but I want to be honest. I did not like the bass. There are 2 things I did not like:

1. The bass takes on a life of it's own. It becomes more interesting than the guitars and takes the attention away from the guitars and the organ. IMHO the guitars need a lead line and the bass needs to sit back and behave.
    2. I think it is the fretless sound (it is a burning sound that happens when the note seems to curl). The bass really takes the focus of the listener to the bass on those notes. So same comment as above.

The piece itself is relaxing, the guitars are well recorded, crisp, clear and fill the stereo spectrum I like that. I would suggest a lead part, nothing to elaborate and tame that bass player with a collar and chain .

Cheers.
    post edited by kiwisdontdrinktea - 2005/08/14 15:02:11

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/14 15:07:25 (permalink)
    tame that bass player with a collar and chain
    You never know, he may just like that!

It is a little twangy, Jeff, if you agree, you could try a high self eq and try cut back 2 db or so around 400Hz.

For some reason, I kind of like it that way.
    jwnicholson
    RE: "Monday Morning, 6AM" - Now with new improved bass! 2005/08/14 15:19:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kiwisdontdrinktea

Ouch I don't want to be lynched but I want to be honest. I did not like the bass. There are 2 things I did not like:

1. The bass takes on a life of it's own. It becomes more interesting than the guitars and takes the attention away from the guitars and the organ. IMHO the guitars need a lead line and the bass needs to sit back and behave.
    2. I think it is the fretless sound (it is a burning sound that happens when the note seems to curl). The bass really takes the focus of the listener to the bass on those notes. So same comment as above.

The piece itself is relaxing, the guitars are well recorded, crisp, clear and fill the stereo spectrum I like that. I would suggest a lead part, nothing to elaborate and tame that bass player with a collar and chain .

Cheers.

Well, given some previous discussions in this forum I can see how people might be skittish about making any comments about the bass... But, I am a big boy, I can take the criticism

Actually, is it the bass line you don't like, or just the general mix? If the bass were brought down a little bit would that help, or do you think it needs a simpler line?

I'll take Ed's suggestion about doing some filtering to see what it does.

Thanks for the critical comments though. It's one of the best ways to learn. Keep em comin'!
    post edited by jwnicholson - 2005/08/16 10:31:00
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1