Monitor Button Error

Author
EminentAndrew
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/05/18 17:39:38 (permalink)

Monitor Button Error

When I'm recording My Monitors just stop giving me sound randomly and I have to click the monitor button off and back on to get it to work again. Any idea on how to solve this issue?

24 Replies Related Threads

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 17:48:46 (permalink)
    Dr. Seuss quotes
    American Writer and Cartoonist best known for his collection of children's books. 1904-1991

Popularity:
    “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
    Crankydragon Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes. About: Uniqueness quotes. For: Birthday quotes, T-Shirt quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
    derekjw203 Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes. About: Love quotes, Dreams quotes, Reality quotes. For: Anniversary quotes, Valentine's Day quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
    santiz Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes. About: Friends quotes, Friendship quotes, Family quotes, Confidence quotes, Uniqueness quotes. For: Birthday quotes, Thank You quotes, Just Because quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
    santiz Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes. About: Life quotes, Goodbye quotes, Inspiration quotes, Feelings quotes. For: T-Shirt quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
    Eyemadreamer Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
    Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“I meant what I said and I said what I meant.”
    Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
    mcleodbr Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes. About: Reading quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“How did it get so late so soon? Its night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?”
    Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes.
    Add to Chapter...

“Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”
    Dr. Seuss quote

Similar Quotes. For: T-Shirt quotes.
    Add to Chapter...
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 18:53:55 (permalink)
    Buy new monitors or a new power amp. One of them is bad. Monitors just dont shut off for no reason and theres is no settings in soanr to fix monitors.
    also, not that it matters, but you could have given up the type of monitos and if there passive or active, but this is most likely irrelevent. Check your power sourse's

I do not like green eggs and spam, I do not like it, Sam I am. I do not like it in a boat, I do not like it when it floats
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    EminentAndrew
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 19:33:01 (permalink)
    Its not the monitors that are turning off. It just randomly stops. The monitor is still active but no sound until I turn it off and then back on again. Its for sure a software issue. PLEASE HELP ME!
    dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 19:47:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: EminentAndrew

Its not the monitors that are turning off. It just randomly stops. The monitor is still active but no sound until I turn it off and then back on again. Its for sure a software issue. PLEASE HELP ME!

This sounds, ever so slightly like an "issue" I have with "what I'm using for monitors". There's a switch on the back on the units that engages a circuit that shuts down the power amp after a certain amount of time with "no signal". It's designed for applications where you are "flying" the units and you can't easily turn them off. In actuality, their version of "no signal" is pretty darned high...so they shut themselves off at inopportune times.

My recording setup is kinda "dual use"...meaning...we watch movies on it too. So, when there's a long quiet section of the movie and the monitors cut out...I walk over to the MIDI keyboard and bang on it, so the resulting audio spike will wake the monitors up again.

Dan Tarbill
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 19:53:03 (permalink)
    So how do you have things routed? What is the setup and how are you monitoring? What version of Sonar and any thing else that may help?

Under what is the setup please note what you have as monitors. What sort of audio interface.

Under how you have things routed what is your signal path?

Under odds and ends is your computer schizophrenic?

That last question is gratuitous.

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 20:10:23 (permalink)
    Its for sure a software issue. PLEASE HELP ME!

I'm sure its not. Im sure its your hardware and the way you set it up. Have you read the help section on drop outs?? Read it and go thru it, if you insist on not giving info needed and asked
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 20:20:17 (permalink)
    well you need to be more specific..

if your speakers are active.. well they could be switching them self off to stop them being damaged (anti clip)

it could be 101 different things.. even the cables your using..
    creynolds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 20:28:40 (permalink)
    Hi Andrew, What the folks here are driving at is that we need a deal more info to help you out. What sound card/device are you running. Windows version and software version are vital. What drivers are you using ASIO, WDM, MME?

I had a similar problem with my Firewire Project mix i/o. It would play back fine but during record it would make a real motorboat noise. Turned out to be the need for a new TI chipset firewire card for my PC. But.. it could be so many thing we need to get a feel for your setup. If you mean the problem is sorted by switch the speakers and/or amp on and off. Then we may be looking at a very simple speaker cutout problem. What are your monitors?

Rain Recording Nimbus. Sandybridge 2600k, 16gb Ram. Quadro FX 580, Roland Quad Capture. Avid Artist Mix and Transport. Loads of other cool stuff.
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 22:18:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: EminentAndrew

and I have to click the monitor button off and back on to get it to work again

What monitor button?

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/18 22:31:40 (permalink)
    Its for sure a software issue. PLEASE HELP ME!
    If powering the monitors off and then back on cures the problem then there is no way that it's a software problem. SONAR has no way of knowing if the monitors are on or off.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    EminentAndrew
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 11:44:21 (permalink)
    GEAR

-SONAR 7 PRODUCER EDITION
    -MOTU 896HD
    -ART PRO MPA
    -MSP10's
    -AMD PHENOM QUAD CORE, 4GB RAM, SIIG FIREWIRE CARD

Also just a not I cant get my MAIN OUT to give me sound in windows so I use out 1 and 2. Maybe that's the problem?
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 11:48:00 (permalink)
    Can you answer just a few of the questions asked above. Like routings and sound card set up? Help youself help us to help you

Audio Blog
    Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 11:48:04 (permalink)
    Which "Monitor Button" are you talking about? That's one of the questions people have been asking, and I for one still don't know.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    EminentAndrew
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 12:42:51 (permalink)
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 14:35:33 (permalink)
    that's the INPUT ECHO button. it's used to route the current track back to the output during recording and it gives an echo based on your latency.

this won't solve or cause a "random" on/off of the monitors. it will only give you an echo of the input back into the output.

what is your input setup? what are you recording? you're not very forthcoming with information for people here who are trying to help you.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 16:31:53 (permalink)
    Interesting that I see in the picture of the Input Echo Button that the track is not solid but shows an outline of the wave form. Could it be muted?

Andrew you have your own terminology which is not all that helpful. We understand Sonar speak here. That button is often called the monitor button yet that is not its name nor how it functions. Beagle explained it nicely.

I don't see how Sonar can cause your monitors to cut off the way you describe. It does occur to me that you may have powered monitors that are sound sensitive and will turn on when they detect a signal. If this is so it could be that the output to them is not loud enough. But that is just a guess. Further info will be very helpful.

Best
    John
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 16:53:13 (permalink)
    Recording and editing track layers I sometimes accidentally (I have no idea of what happens) turn some clips, and sometimes parts of a clip to show only outlines of the waveform. They get muted and I've not once succeeded in making them audible again. I've always had to just delete them.

So it might well be the problem here that the OP isn't familiar with the functions of his monitors (maybe they're triggered by audio signal?). On the other hand "My monitors stop giving me sound" does not actually mean 100% sure that the monitors are off. They may be functioning normally, but there's no signal. Unfortunately the OP is not able to describe the situation accurately enough.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 16:55:46 (permalink)
    Perhaps a short in one of the speaker cables.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 16:57:13 (permalink)
    yuo dont need input echo to hear an audio track and as John pointed out, the whole clip is muted. Unmute it and youll hear it. Input echo or input monitoring as you call it, has Nothing to do with your issue
    Cj

Audio Blog
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 17:21:20 (permalink)
    I'll bet he's dragged the mute tool across part of the audio track, so parts are muted and other parts are audible giving the illusion that the monitors are cutting out when it's a signal issue.

VJ
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 17:23:06 (permalink)
    I thought of that too. It would be nice if he would come back a little more often.

Best
    John
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/19 19:10:29 (permalink)
    It does look muted.

I've accidently muted when pulling teeth
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/20 12:49:13 (permalink)
    I wonder if he fixed it.

VJ
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: Monitor Button Error 2009/05/20 12:50:16 (permalink)
    I believe we will get an answer in two days

or another question
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1