Monitor Connection advice!

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2010/08/06 19:44:14 (permalink)

Monitor Connection advice!

I have just purchased JBL's LSR 4328P monitors and was originally going to connect them to my AI via 1/4" balanced cables. However, there are so many options, I was wondering what you all think may be best. I don't know much about SPIDIF, but have that available. My AI's are 2 Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40's. I have pictures here of both the backs of them so you can see the options:

MONITORS:

Audio Interface

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Monitor Connection advice! 2010/08/06 20:39:50 (permalink)
    spindlebox

I have just purchased JBL's LSR 4328P monitors and was originally going to connect them to my AI via 1/4" balanced cables. However, there are so many options, I was wondering what you all think may be best. I don't know much about SPIDIF, but have that available. My AI's are 2 Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40's. I have pictures here of both the backs of them so you can see the options:

MONITORS:

Audio Interface

Thanks in advance!

Yes the balanced analog would be best. I'll bet the converters in your interface are better then the ones in the speakers.  That also lets you put a passive volume in the middle if you want. I would suggest you get one. You get the best sound from your interface if the digital volume control is all the way up.  If your speakers have a volume control that might be OK, but I would get passive one.

Here is a good example and not too expensive.

http://www.markertek.com/...Audio/NANO-PATCH.xhtml
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    Re:Monitor Connection advice! 2010/08/06 20:48:52 (permalink)
    Frank,
    The speakers DO have volume control, AND a remote control for the speakers as well.  I was just thinking of utilizing that for my overall volume control.  I don't know how to tell if it's PASSIVE or not.  They're ACTIVE monitors though, so I guess not?  What would the problem be doing that, versus using something like the NANO patch? 

This is something I haven't thought of before!  Having my AI and software at unity to maximise resolution!

So I was on the right track about the 1/4" balanced connections.  Good.  I have tons of those patch cables around anyway, so this should be just fine.  I suppose I should use STEREO cables for each?  Or MONO?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1