Monitor analog input of the Motu 896 WITHOUT using a host software sequencer?

Author
jammalot
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2005/04/20 02:56:43 (permalink)

Monitor analog input of the Motu 896 WITHOUT using a host software sequencer?

Is it possible to monitor analog input of the Motu 896
WITHOUT using (Sonar) a host software sequencer?

The MOTU 896 can direct monitor (with no latency) a mono or stereo analog signal. I have read, you can monitor more than one input simultaneously by disabling direct hardware patchthru, and monitoring the input though the host software sequencer.
For example, in Sonar 4 Producer's Input Monitoring mode, set Monitor for each track. Then you can patch thru multiple audio input sources, with latency being dependant is point on your buffer settings (lower buffers result in lower latency).

But, I would like to monitor analog input without using a host sequencer , however, I can see the analog input metering but no out-put metering and can't get any sound .

PLEASE ADVISE

3.0ghz Pc
Windows XP
1 G Ram
600gb Drives(s)
Mackie Controll Surface
Motu 896
M-audio BX -8 Monitors
Midi Sport 4x4
Sonar 4 Producer

JAMMALOT 4 WORLD PEACE

5 Replies Related Threads

newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Monitor analog input of the Motu 896 WITHOUT using a host software sequencer? 2005/04/20 10:55:45 (permalink)
    I had a friend that was using Cool Edit Pro, or trying to. with the 896. CEP does not support software host monitoring. so it's pretty similiar to not using a host sequencer. I'm guessing you're trying to use this as a live mixer?

We were not able to get it to work the way you describe.

This was when the 896 was new, so I don't know if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think you could only monitor the first two inputs, and then only at the cost of not being able to monitor playback from the host application. And they were hard panned left and right.

We tried for a few cuss-filled nights to sort this out before deciding to sell the unit. Which was a pitty because it did sound pretty good.
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Monitor analog input of the Motu 896 WITHOUT using a host software sequencer? 2005/04/20 11:01:29 (permalink)
    It should be possible. I would check the 896's documentation.

From MOTU:

The 896HD is equally well-suited for studio and stage, with or without a computer. As a computer interface, the 896HD provides 18 separate inputs and 22 outputs, including separate main outs and headphone out.
    You can add additional send/return loops using the 896HD’s new CueMix DSP™ on-board mixing feature, a flexible DSP-driven 18-input/8-bus mixing and monitoring matrix that eliminates the need for an external mixer or patchbay. Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Then monitor all of these live inputs via the 896HD’s main outs, headphone jack or any other output — with virtually no monitoring latency and no processor drain on your computer.
    Need to hit the road? Program the 896HD at the studio with the CueMix Console software and then take the 896HD on the road for mixing/monitoring without a computer. Bus levels can be adjusted without the computer by using the front panel Monitor Level knob.

newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Monitor analog input of the Motu 896 WITHOUT using a host software sequencer? 2005/04/20 13:51:20 (permalink)
    I don't think there's CueMix on the non-HD 896. At least we couldn't find a version for PC when we were putzing around with this a couple years ago. More than happy to eat my words, but this was our experience with the first iteration of the 896.
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Monitor analog input of the Motu 896 WITHOUT using a host software sequencer? 2005/04/20 13:58:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: newfuturevintage

I don't think there's CueMix on the non-HD 896. At least we couldn't find a version for PC when we were putzing around with this a couple years ago. More than happy to eat my words, but this was our experience with the first iteration of the 896.

Oops, my bad.....thanks for pointing that out. I didn't make the mental connection that we were talking about non-HD.

Never mind my previous post if Cuemix is not on the 896.....that was probably the enabler.

jammalot
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Monitor analog input of the Motu 896 WITHOUT using a host software sequencer? 2005/04/22 16:40:21 (permalink)
    It states on page 39 of the MOTU 896 user manual:

The Monitor input settings enables the MOTU 896 Cue-Mix Plus feature which lets you route an analog or AES /EBU input or input pair directly to the MOTU 896 main outs, where it is mixed with the signal on the main outs.

Also, at the MOTU site:
    MOTU Fire wire Windows Install
    Installer supports MOTU 828, 896, 828mk2, 896HD and Traveler. IMPORTANT: if you are updating from a previously installed MOTU 828 or 896, be sure to refer to the Read Me file for instructions on removing the older drivers. New Cue mix has control surface support, and talkback & listen back capabilities.

QUESTION:
    Is the Cue Mix Plus monitoring a feature on the MOTU 896? (My retailer informed me that this is NOT a feature for the (old) MOTU 896.
    I simply would like to know BEFORE I proceed to removing my the v3.0 drivers, currently installed on my Windows XP p.c. with:
    File Name: SETUPFW3.5.3.2.zip
    Type: driver
    Date: 2005-02-11
    Language: English
    Version: 3.5.3.2
    Size: 2753K
    Platform: winme, win2k, winxp

PLEASE ADVISE,

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this matter...

JAMMALOT 4 WORLD PEACE
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1