Monitoring with Artist in Control?

Author
rockoman
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 307
2010/08/06 15:19:30 (permalink)

Monitoring with Artist in Control?

Hi All!

I could try to figure the best way to do this myself but I know there's a lot more smarter people on this board so I'll just ask :)

Here's the components I'll be referencing in this post:
Focusrite Saffire 56 Interface ( 8ins, 10 outs)
Small Mixing board in "Live" room
4Ch. Headphone Amp

Here's what I want to do. I want to be able to send a mix to the singer so he has control of the overall mix and control of the level of his guitar/vocal mic.  I'm thinking the best way to do this is to:

1. Send overall mix out of interface into Headphone amp
2. From Headphone amp, send out to Ch. 1&2 into "live" mixing board
3. Send 2 more outs of interface for guitar mic and vocal mic into Ch. 3&4 into Live mixing board.

Is this the best way or is there something "better/alternative"?

Thanks!!!

It's not what we're doing, it's how you do it :)

2 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Monitoring with Artist in Control? 2010/08/06 16:37:20 (permalink)
    I'd probably just send it all straight to a small mixer and let him deal with it.

But...if you're talking about several folks at a time, you'd probably be best to send it all to the mixer and use AUX SENDS to build individual mixes, using the AUX OUTs to connect to your individual headphone amps.

You'd be limited by the number of aux outputs on the mixer as to how many headphone mixes you could send.  And quite possibly, you'd have to go mono if you have to go more than a couple of headphone mixes.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    UbiquitousBubba
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Monitoring with Artist in Control? 2010/08/06 17:24:35 (permalink)
    I agree.  I've used the same approach to support multiple headphone mixes.  You know everyone in the band needs their own mix!

I've even done this without headphone amps when I had a mixer with 8 mono busses.  I ran the instrument inputs into the mixer, took some direct outs from each channel into my DAW, and used the buss outputs to drive the headphones.  I was able to get enough gain out of this beast to drive the cans without any significant issues.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1