Mono Track vs. Stereo Track

Author
PeteNova
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
2010/07/18 08:13:15 (permalink)

Mono Track vs. Stereo Track

Hi Boys and Girls,
  I'm a little confused as to the mono vs. stereo track option and when it's best to use either.  Does the track pan differently when in stereo as opposed to mono?  Does it only affect the plugins?  How does it affect the sound of the track? I need a lesson on this subject from one of you Sonar/recording gurus out there.  Thanks for your help.
Pete

5 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Mono Track vs. Stereo Track 2010/07/19 22:36:31 (permalink)
    You might try posting this in the Music Creator forum.  Lots of extremely kind and helpful gurus hang out there.  Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, but they helped me too!  :-)
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Mono Track vs. Stereo Track 2010/07/19 23:06:46 (permalink)
    I could be wrong, Janet, but I think Cakewalk is hoping am MC-like environment for new Sonar users develops here.
    Personally, I think it's a good idea, and see it as a place where someone like Steve (in particular) can really shine.

Pete, consider your sound source.
    Are you recording a track with one mic? Use a mono track.
    A stereo track of a mono source is mono anyway, it just uses more resources.
    Panning a mono track gives a more precise sense of placement in the stereo field.
    Panning a stereo track is more like a fade.
    Experiment with both, and you'll see what I mean.
    What are you recording? Vocals, acoustic guitar, other instruments?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Mono Track vs. Stereo Track 2010/07/19 23:08:45 (permalink)
    You're probably right, Bob, and I think it's a great idea.  I just noticed he hadn't gotten help in almost 2 days and he was probably getting desperate. :-)
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Mono Track vs. Stereo Track 2010/07/21 00:09:51 (permalink)
    Use Mono always for tracking. The only time you might want stereo is if you are tracking a synth which has some wild stereo effect you want it on your track. Panning is not effected nor are plugins they should operate the same but there are anomalies in plug ins.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Mono Track vs. Stereo Track 2010/07/21 00:15:36 (permalink)
    Yea, most sound sources, except synths are mono, and therefore they should be recorded as mono. now in the mixing stage, you need take into account your pan laws when panning your tracks. I like my pan law to be at 0 constant, but some like it at -3dB.
     Does the track pan differently when in stereo as opposed to mono?  Does it only affect the plugins? 

Yes, they could pan differently, according to what you set your pan law to. The pan effects plugins and tracks. You also need to consider the pans on the sends also.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1