More Content from Cakewalk

Author
digimidi
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 496
2008/05/20 11:57:37 (permalink)

More Content from Cakewalk

I dont' know about you folks, but I think there should be more example content from Cakewalk for Sonar. Wouldn't you think that Cakewalk could throw in some loops, a more VARIED set of demo songs (surely there must be hundreds of examples made that are available) so that they could be studied by new (and old) users. I found the videos on the Sonar PE disc to be nice and refreshing and I really appreciate them, especially compared to the grainy YouTube versions, but I always want to see MORE! Having used Cakewalk since the Stoneage of v3, I recall that Cakewalk used to include more things like sample loops, etc. What do you all think? How about a Cakewalk supported section of the forum that permits users to upload some of their songs for friendly and constructive critique and study? (Not to mention to see what other users are doing?) P.S. Does anyone remember the Cakewalk included files called "TECHniques" which were little tutorials that were included on their install discs?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
http://daveowenmusic.com/
http://fabulous52s.com/
https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8

26 Replies Related Threads

digimidi
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 12:08:29 (permalink)
    Yes, digimidi. What a GREAT idea! You really nailed a hot topic!

Signed, Ghost of digimidi...

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 12:20:23 (permalink)
    wow, 46 posts in 5 years and you got impatient after 11 minutes????!!!!!!!!

FWIW yeah i agree, but i think that people would rather have the multi-core loading issue fixed first rather than more content we look at once and then just takes up real estate...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    digimidi
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 12:29:15 (permalink)
    Yeah, mgh, you're right. It just seems funny that some topics one posts can get immediate response and others don't. It's just my feeling that there will always be technical problems with a program as complex and evolving as Sonar, but a larger offering of content would still be welcome.

cedric
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 12:54:47 (permalink)
    You are absolutely right.

Logic Pro comes with 39 GB of additional content!

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 13:13:03 (permalink)
    Ugh. Personally I could care less about a loops collection.

There are so many... SO MANY free loops available out there, that it really wouldn't interest me. Besides, anyone making their own music or music for $$ is probably going to stay away from the most common loops sources. Content collections are great for looping tools, performance tools, and entry level programs. Their value is not nearly as high in best-of-breed DAWs.

Now some more tutorial videos makes some more sense. I could definitely see more short videos that demonstrate function-specific things in SONAR. Especially because explaining something like Audiosnap is very difficult on paper, and much easier to see visually.

As far as demo projects... to be honest I've never ever looked at them. Even the Public Enemy one that came with an earlier version of SONAR. Never even occurred to me to open it.

But perhaps what they could do is, in addition to having short videos that are function specific, is build a large tutorial that builds an entire song up from scratch. This way you can see the process from start to finish. Granted, no two song are alike, but I'm sure they could include many of the major features in a work-up of a project. Currently their longer demos are for tradeshows and the like, and the amount of pre-work they've done can create a disconnect to a user who doesn't understand where the MIDI part came from or whatnot.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 13:21:56 (permalink)
    I agree. I couldn't care less about getting GB's of loops. besides that - it would drive up the cost of the product for something that I would never use. I prefer the current product where they (cakewalk) sell their loops separately from the main product (see the cakewalk store if you don't know that they sell loop packages separately).

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 13:43:58 (permalink)
    as for content.. hmmm

it's always the angle over quality over quantity.. even to a point to what's usable in real life. Some things sample cd wise I have do showcase xy and z , but as for their usability.... nope, they are fx'd to a point where you can't use them in your own music.

I'd rather have more fx units etc, than samples.. with DnB sample cd's, the de facto is to put at least one variant of the amen break on the disk.

It don't even come down to the size of the files.. lets pad them out so they are 24 bit samples instead of 16 bit samples etc..

the most usable samples / sound banks I have, are sometimes the smallest..esp.. with reason refills, I make much more use of 3rd party thor patches which are a lot smaller than my bigger libraries.

I guess it's the same with anything, even albums..2 or 3 tracks that are good, the rest is filler. There isn't many albums I listen to as complete works that I can say are great.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 14:29:06 (permalink)
    See one of the neat of being an long time user is many of the past CDs came with lots of content. Loops and MIDI grove clips too. It pays to be loyal!

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 14:55:34 (permalink)
    If you want loops, just go out and get them. I have no use for them and im glad there not included, because it would be a waste of space on my hard drive. The way i see it, is that Sonar is used for recording what you make, not having ready made music for you. Thats your job.. Theres millions of places for loops
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 15:08:40 (permalink)
    We wouldn't have Sonar at all it were not for loops. That was the big deal that got it started. It was the only sequencer that would do MIDI plus audio loops at the same time. Now I understand the point you make but don't forget the roots. And heck any DAW can record audio its what they do. Sonar does it all.

Best
    John
    ru
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 15:19:30 (permalink)
    i think digimidi is after example projects, where you could study how and why good results were achieved.
    digimidi
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 17:25:26 (permalink)
    ru is right. I'm MAINLY interested in sample projects and tutorials, although a few loops thrown in for good measure wouldn't hurt. AudioSnap is one example, as noted in previous posts to this thread, is where I could stand more guidance. I have plenty of audio recordings on 4-track and even on 8-track tape that I would like to import into Sonar to tighten up, especially drums, but I, like many others, have a problem getting a grasp of AudioSnap. Many of the earlier videos were on YouTube and sometimes were hard to see distinctly. I'm also still pushing for user Sonar song submittals somewhere within the Forum to study (and admire). The idea of a song from scratch is good as noted in this thread.

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 17:31:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: digimidi
    I'm also still pushing for user Sonar song submittals somewhere within the Forum to study (and admire).

Songs Forum.
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 22:13:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

If you want loops, just go out and get them. I have no use for them and im glad there not included, because it would be a waste of space on my hard drive.
    Cj

I agree. If sonar came with more samples I'd like to have the option to not install them. Either that or I'd just delete them before I opened SONAR for the first time.

Mike
    post edited by chefmike8888 - 2008/05/20 22:35:02

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 22:32:59 (permalink)
    being that i`m just a singer and just started to learn to play keyboards anything that`s for free like loops is for me until i can make my own. i feel rather dumb cause i sang in 3 different bands from 18 to 25 and never bothered to learn an instrument other than my vocals. now i`m 42 and it`s not easy, but for a little help the $29.95 SWA video for sonar is quite helpful and i`d really like to learn from CJaysMusic cause his mixes and songs are kick ass.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 22:33:13 (permalink)
    Every employee at CW is a recording musician. The ones I've heard (Brandon and Bob) are pretty good, too. Maybe they should offer up some of their projects - what a great excuse to make tunes at work! How about it, Bob & Brandon?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    pianodano
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1160
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 22:41:40 (permalink)

ru is right. I'm MAINLY interested in sample projects and tutorials, although a few loops thrown in for good measure wouldn't hurt. AudioSnap is one example, as noted in previous posts to this thread, is where I could stand more guidance. I have plenty of audio recordings on 4-track and even on 8-track tape that I would like to import into Sonar to tighten up, especially drums, but I, like many others, have a problem getting a grasp of AudioSnap. Many of the earlier videos were on YouTube and sometimes were hard to see distinctly. I'm also still pushing for user Sonar song submittals somewhere within the Forum to study (and admire). The idea of a song from scratch is good as noted in this thread.

I transfered all of my 8 track tapes from the 80's and 90's into sonar. I found that setting now time using audio snap worked the very best for me. Takes about 30 mins to an hour or so per song to align the grid and then slicing and dicing whatever needs it. I sure others have a better solution but again, I had several dozen songs and it worked well.

Danny
    post edited by pianodano - 2008/05/20 23:23:18

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/20 23:24:26 (permalink)
    I agree with Wicked. A large tutorial of a complete song working through tracking, midi, mixdown and mastering would showcase the product and tie everything together.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/21 12:11:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tcaylor
    I agree with Wicked. A large tutorial of a complete song working through tracking, midi, mixdown and mastering would showcase the product and tie everything together.

This model worked extremely well for the MiLaR DVD. Putting things in context is very helpful sometimes, even when there's a million ways to do something, seeing someone's whole process is as valuable as an overview on 5 ways to solve a specific problem.

RE: Audiosnap. Between the Youtube vidz and Craig Anderton's in-depth dissection on his pro-review I learned more than I ever possibly could via manuals and the help. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually still pretty "duh" with Audiosnap, but I know a few basics that make figuring out other aspects of it a lot easier.

With programs like this getting deeper every version, a "manual" as we know it is sure to fade in importance over videos and interactive tutorials. I seem to recall GURU having a very nice one, but that could've been the sexy British female voice doing the narration....

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    digimidi
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/21 21:07:11 (permalink)
    I'd like to hear more from pianodano who seems to have a system of using AudioSnap in Sonar. I, like him, have a multitude of 4 and 8-track tapes that need to be archived as well as treated with AudioSnap. I would even like to remaster and edit them in Sonar. Looking at someone's sample songs and how they created them would be most helpful. I do look at Unified Tribe's "Back and Forth" tune to see how it's put together. I don't know how it would be done to check out other musicians' songs that they might offer up for examination.

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/21 21:47:00 (permalink)
    Just from SONAR3 PE to 7PE there were 14 complete SONAR productions included. I have them all on my project drive and admit to looking at them occassionally. They cover a wide range of styles and techniques but it would be good to know which was a good example of a particular thing so I could load that one up for a lesson on subject X.

I've noticed in recent years that the market for software training is expanding. eg I have the whole Adobe suite and the amount of material available for training is mind boggling. Very little of it free though. they've realised there's more to selling software than selling software. there's all the support material like training and other resources.

As for resources like sounds, plugins etc. enough already. But there's room for better training provided through DVD's and online materials which would of course include example material to work on as you watch the video.

There are quite a few generic training vids around that look at things like mixing, eq, mastering etc but are far to general for my liking. They're informative but while somethings translate across DAWs others don't for example. Use of various software tools and functions. What I'd like to see is professional quality vids on using the special features in SONAR. 1 video for 1 tool. V-Vocal, AudioSnap etc.

Then others on production techniques. Everything from setting up your studio, even making the connections between gear, to recording a band or a set of drums, or mixing down and mastering.

BUT. Is there a big enough market for these things? Why would Cake make all these vide when we provide such a stellar support service here. LOL

Just think though, wouldn't it be great to download a video that showed you how to connect all your gear together...thiking of all the recent newbies that keep asking the soundblaster questions. For goodness sake, the last garden shed (Lawn Locker) I built had an instructional VHS Video that came with it. Just as well too because I couldn't make sense of the poor Chinese to English translation of the manual. Still the point is that there could be more material to help us make sense of it all. Whether that's more songs/projects or videos I don't know.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    pianodano
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1160
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/21 22:59:44 (permalink)

I'd like to hear more from pianodano who seems to have a system of using AudioSnap in Sonar. I, like him, have a multitude of 4 and 8-track tapes that need to be archived as well as treated with AudioSnap. I would even like to remaster and edit them in Sonar. Looking at someone's sample songs and how they created them would be most helpful. I do look at Unified Tribe's "Back and Forth" tune to see how it's put together. I don't know how it would be done to check out other musicians' songs that they might offer up for examination.

We must have much in common. I recorded dozens of demos in the 80's on my trusty Tascam 38 and M308 console. By 1987 I was using a Roland MC500 sequencer (Commodore 64 prior to that) chasing dumb FSK on track 8 which left 7 tracks for audio. I am thrilled even today with the sound of the audio recordings, even the bounced tracks. Unfortunately, even though I had 4 Roland samplers in that day and all of the libraries, I always knew the sequenced tracks could be much better sonics and realism wise. I had to wait all these years for the technology to become affordable, but I am thrilled and elated with what is possible now and even some of the other musicians that helped me on some tunes back then cannot believe how the tunes sound when transfered and reworked using todays technology. This is precisely why I have stayed with Sonar. It is well worth the effort.

Here's one I initally recorded in 1982 and have been reworking for a few months. This is a rough mix.

Unfortunately all the studios around here were 8 track at the time. So back then, to continue recording after recording the rythym section, we bounced the drums, bass and organ to a stereo bed. This was a very difficult song for local talent (bass and drums) to pull off unrehearsed and, as I recall, we did around 12 takes and had to stop recording the rythym section at that point. I have grown to like the slight push/ pull timing errors between the bass and kick and don't think I would fix them now even if I could. Again, because they were bounced as a stereo bed, I don't have the raw tracks anyway. The original stereo grand piano part was scrapped and is not used now (tracks 1 &2). Guitar and sax was recorded on the same tracks as backgrounds which were doubled. Lead vocal had it's own track. The last two tracks on tape where used for synth strings and acoustic guitar which have been replaced with EWQLSO and the original acoustic has been replaced with RealGuitar. I think the song now has around 40 tracks most of which are midi, other than as mentioned above.

http://www.danskittlethorp.com/Imaginary_Love.mp3

Danny

Danny
    post edited by pianodano - 2008/05/21 23:43:20

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
    dappa1
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2949
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/22 08:31:40 (permalink)
    I agree in Re: Video tutorials the whole process start to finish just to see how other people work, I am sure this has been discussed previous to this thread. I know people work in different ways but it would be good for sonar to show of its capabilities in this way and at the same time make it more accesible to potential customers. I know they have a demo of Sonar so please dont remind me I have reminded myself
    Sonar Boy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/22 18:11:40 (permalink)
    +1 for more tutorial vids. I've found Stylus RMX has had the shortest learning curve as the tutorial vids got you up to speed in no time. Dy, academic manuals are not the optimum learning medium for everyone. Also, being able to watch people who know Sonar inside out put together tracks from scratch would help no end in seeing the practical application of this knowledge and help us new users master Sonar.
    tonester
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 823
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/22 18:38:20 (permalink)
    Stone Age? Version 3? Holy Crap! I've been a user since ProAudio 8. Was that before the Big Bang?

But yeah, it would be nice to see more example content. I, for one, would like to see demo projects of variuos styles, much like what Reason does. maybe some user submitted stuff?
    pgw
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: More Content from Cakewalk 2008/05/23 07:56:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

If you want loops, just go out and get them. I have no use for them and im glad there not included, because it would be a waste of space on my hard drive. The way i see it, is that Sonar is used for recording what you make, not having ready made music for you. Thats your job.. Theres millions of places for loops
    Cj

Amen to that rev. CJ - I don´t have the time or patience to go through gazillions of loops to find the right one, if I need a looped guitar or whatever, I´ll record it myself. I admit using midiloops for drums though, lacking drummer-skills + I don´t have room for real drums in my basement, which could serve as an analogy for a loop-library on my DAW - of my 13 amps I mainly use 4, the others mostly claim space & collect dust - I´ve begun to get rid of some guitars though, I´m down @ just 22 now .................

G.A.S.-addicts anonymous ( G.A.S.A.A. ? )

Per
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1