More Dimension Pro Bass Issues

Author
bilo06
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 136
2011/02/17 11:29:21 (permalink)

More Dimension Pro Bass Issues

First of all:

1. The 30 'new' bass samples in Expansion Pack 3 sound like the same old samples from the DSF Instrument Mega-Pack.
Is this the 'fix' for the original DP out-of-tune bass samples?
Is this a joke?

How about this:
2. The 30 new bass samples do not go down to low B.
This is so crazy I can't breathe.
No low B? Have they not heard of 5-string basses?
This is unforgivable.
Yet another reason to not use DP.
Sad. 

5 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:More Dimension Pro Bass Issues 2011/02/17 12:40:29 (permalink)
    bilo06

This is unforgivable. 

That's a bit dramatic!

I agree it may be considered limitation that there are no 5 string basses in the pack, if that is the case. but I would consider it normal for most bass samples to start on E. Some, like NI Scarbee basses do make a concession of stretching the E sample down to B, but that is not the same as sampling a 5 string.

As for the new sounds, I thought they were quite good and some could find a place along side my gotos of Scarbee pre and jay basses and Yellowtools Majestic. So to me they are actually another reason to use Dim Pro.

I can't comment on wether they are part of the Mega Pack as I do not have that one.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2011/02/17 12:43:06

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:More Dimension Pro Bass Issues 2011/02/17 13:29:53 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes

bilo06

This is unforgivable. 

That's a bit dramatic!

Just a little...  Here's to looking a gift horse in the mouth!

If you want, open each sfz file within the '26 - Digital Sound Factory Basses' folder in your Multisamples.  Do a find and replace:

find:
    lokey=36

replace with:
    lokey=(your desired lower range)

bilo06
    Re:More Dimension Pro Bass Issues 2011/02/17 13:59:25 (permalink)
    Dramatic? Yes.

Dissappointed? Yes.

Looking forward to fixing yet another issue instead of being creative? Absolutely not.

These are bass sounds within a multi-instrument sampler not an ultra-authentic bass-player's exclusive sound set where someone was trying to please all the real bass players out there who are using DP who believe that a true bass-player only needs 4 strings.
    I just want to know who worked on this sound set and what was their goal/mind-set?

All I want is a good sounding bass sample that is in tune and covers the range of a modern bass.
    Is that too much to ask?
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:More Dimension Pro Bass Issues 2011/02/18 01:04:48 (permalink)
    bilo06

These are bass sounds within a multi-instrument sampler not an ultra-authentic bass-player's exclusive sound set where someone was trying to please all the real bass players out there who are using DP who believe that a true bass-player only needs 4 strings

So what if I want my piccolo sample to go down to C0? Honestly, I would normally expect sampled instrument to cover the range of the instrument being sampled. It would have been nice to have included a 5 string bass in this pack however, it would nave made it more complete. But if you want the existing instruments to play out side their natural range as a work around Chads solution seems reasonable.

Anyway if you want a 5 string bass you can use in dim pro that does not cost the earth here is a solution.
    http://www.lyricaldistortion.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_5

The 5 string basses are available in SFZ format so you could use them in Dim Pro or SFZ. I have the "Modern 5 String Bass - Direct" among others but I use the Kontakt version. I also have Smoke Bass which is very nice but I am pretty sure only the 5 string goes down to B.

If you decide to buy from Lyrical Distortion be aware that not all of their products are available in SFZ format. read carefully before ordering. Bulk discounts are quite generous.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2011/02/18 01:07:05

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    bilo06
    Re:More Dimension Pro Bass Issues 2011/02/18 09:34:04 (permalink)
    Sorry for the dramatic rant up top. Yesterday was a rough day all-around....

I submitted a support ticket and got a quick response. Everything is 'fixed'.
    I have the .sfz files with the low-B adjustment if anyone else would like them.
    Btw, the new bass sounds are not the same as the DSF Mega-Instrument Pack.
    There is a noticable difference.

Cakewalk Rules!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1