Morning Mist new mix, 1/12

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
2011/01/10 23:24:23 (permalink)

Morning Mist new mix, 1/12

This was inspired one morning while walking to work, seeing the mist on the lake. The first few measures came easy. The rest I had to fight for.  And I make no pretensions of having played this live.  I kept having to stop and think about what to play for the next section.  At one point it's 3-handed.  I tried to add a different part and decided I liked it how it was, even though it would take 2 people to play it.  What's the fun of having a DAW if you can't play with it a little?  :-) 

Morning Mist
post edited by Janet - 2011/01/12 21:07:48

48 Replies Related Threads

Zuma
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/10 23:33:19 (permalink)
    I enjoyed this quite a lot. Nicely done. The piano reminds me very much of Graham Nash. In fact this whole piece reminds of a particular Nash song.

Edit: "Try To find Me" is the Nash song I was thinking this piece reminded me of. Had to dig out the concert DVD because I couldn't remember the song title.
    post edited by Zuma - 2011/01/10 23:36:59

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/10 23:50:02 (permalink)
    Beautiful... And Ivory sounds stupendous! 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 06:24:58 (permalink)
    This is real nice, as usual. The three-handedness is cool. Nice pic also. Is that a picture of my outdoor studio?                  

String Jammer
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 08:18:58 (permalink)
    as ever a beautiful tune Janet. it's hard to patch in piano with the sustain/enharmonics etc, but i coldn't hear any joins though i was listening out! it'd be fun for you to do more 4 hand piano stuff, maybe instead of using orchestral parts in some tunes?

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 10:36:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Zuma. I'll try to find that song and listen. :-)

It sure does, doesn't it, Robby?   I love that software!!

No, Scott, your studio wasn't in the lake. :-)

Mark, if you've worked with midi as long as I have (billions of hours so far just learning how to do it!  lol), then it's not really hard.  4 hands?  Actually, my parents used to play Ferrante and Teicher records a lot when I was a kid (a great piano duo) and I used to dream of being able to play like them.  Now I could actually compose and play something like that on my DAW.  I mean, my DAW has the technological capability.  I have yet to compose something like that, except for 'O Come all Ye Faithful' on my Christmas CD...that was my only piano duet.  But maybe some day. 
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 10:41:16 (permalink)
    Nice composition, Janet. The low end notes sound kinda tinny and metallic. Does Ivory give you the option of a closed piano top?
    Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 11:10:39 (permalink)
    Tinny and metallic?  I never thought of that.  I'm afraid there's no option of a closed piano top, at least as far as I can see.  Would that help?  Or would different eq'ing help? 
    groveendroad
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 12:05:06 (permalink)
    I always love to hear you playing piano Janet. in this one, You have a very strong right hand, cool. A bit more bass and some stings will take this to another level. I like the tune and what your doing here so far

Cheers,
    Terry Carroll is SilverBeat

M-Audio interface
    HP Pavilion a730n XP
    Sonar producer 8.5
    Dimension pro
    Alesis Q8
    Blue Bird mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_5952498
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 12:08:03 (permalink)
    Very nice song.  This is just me, but for the last measure the low end note seems too dominating.  I would reduce the velocity on that one in order to bring forward the last note of the melody .
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 12:12:15 (permalink)
    nice tune. sounded good to me.

second listen... cranked up the computer speakers....

Does your keyboard have touch sensitive keys?   If the piano has velocity sensitive keys, I would have used a lighter touch.... there are many parts that sound wide open, really hitting the keys hard. Lighten your touch.

For a song that is about the delicate mist rising from a like.... I don't get that mental picture when listening. I think it's a good song but it is more "regal and majestic" sounding,  so a title change would suit it better.

third listen... there are a few places where you have the opportunity to tone it down....and you start but then don't stay there long enough. At 1:22 there is a hit that does bad things to that poor bass string.  Starting at about 2:30 on to the end.... loose the bass notes totally, they are distracting from the delicate notes being played higher up.

OK... that's my 2 centavos...
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/11 12:31:48

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 14:49:27 (permalink)
    3 handed piano is OK in my book as I record the left hand and right hand seperatly because I can't walk and chew gum, I'm also not really a piano player.

Nothing wrong with using the DAW to overcome problems.  Recording is about a polished enjoyable final product, and this is all of that.

Do you listen to Michael Jones?  Your work always reminds me of his solo piano albums.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 17:05:34 (permalink)

I recently watched on netflex a show "the making of a steinway". One of the
    pianist was speaking about how he plays with more expression (if) the piano
    is (giving) him that option. And,  that of all the "same model" pianos made they (all)
    have their own tone as well.

Of course everyone (or most people) know that but none the less that is interesting.
    That brings me to the question of (as well) if "your" piano sound is "too this or that?.
    I don't know.

I think I would tend to think of it instead in this way:

Are there any distractions? I'm not sure I can even answer that with any validity.
    A concert pianist might "hammer" some low notes on a piece and I'm wondering, is
    he trying to "break the piano?"

It might come to the fact of the intent, style, genre, what the song or writer/ producer
    is going for and so on.

I've listened to this one several times now to see what each new listen does to me
    in the way of how my "perception" and the "listens" affect me.

Yes the low notes are sometimes too bright and the dynamics at times sound a bit
    strong. It's even a little bit choppy sounding. (but) that is "my perception". That doesn't
    make my perception correct, it only says that those are things that (I) would think
    about.

I would see if there is some way to thicken the overall tone (or maybe cut some
    at around 3K)

Compress it enough to smooth it out (but Not) be noticeable.

If there is a way to "increase" the (I think most vst's can) release/ sustain
    of the vst (without having to use the pedal) that would give the notes more of a "ring"
    Although you'd still use the pedal the notes would be a little thicker sounding
    for lack of better words.

Maybe add a "touch" of a hall concert verb to what you have now (for thickness, not
    so much making it verb sounding. Thats why I say a "touch" of it.

The 3K cut I mention (may not) be necessary if the other things "lush up" the sound.
    I think what I'm referencing to is just that, if the piece was a bit more warm or lush
    in its sound "that" would really be a treat.

Anyway this sound great Janet

Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 17:40:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Terry. Good things to think about there.  Glad you stopped by. :-)

Thank you, Vechung.  I'll definitely look into that last note.  :-)

Thanks Herb.  3 times?  Wow!  Thanks!  :-) I usually lower the velocities all along the track but this time I wondered if I could get away with not doing that.  It's easy enough to fix.  Thanks for the idea.  Yes, it has touch sensitive keys, but either I just play harder than I mean to, or the keyboard isn't sensitive enough.  Maybe both.  I wondered about the morning mist idea....I think I lost that idea soon after the beginning.  Just wasn't sure where to go with it.  Maybe a name change would be in order.  Ugh...this is one of the few that had a name before I started.  lol

Jimmy, I love to hear your takes on songs.  Thanks so much for your good and sensitive ears.  I will check into all those things as much as I can.  I really appreciate the ideas.  I'll try to remix this tonight. 
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 19:15:14 (permalink)
    Janet

I alos love to hear you play because it reminds me of when I was growing up. My little brother played keys and Iwas so used to having that sound around ....I remeber when he got married (he was the first of 4 to do that ) and moved out the house had changed quite a bit......I really missed that sound going on......

Actually he's told me the same about me cause he was used to me as well.....

anyway enough .....on the composition....nice work....on the articulation I would have to agree with Herb.....

In my silly noggin mist is quiet and soft and gentle and flowing and wet........

(trying to say nicely here)  this is articulated to hard for that.....

but I still like it......

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Adji
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 19:22:28 (permalink)
    Really like the composition. Not too indifferent to the minimalist stylings of Ludovico Einaudi.
    I agree what has been said about the tone of the piano, could do with a smoother / deeper low end but the playing is so good I'm finding it hard to care about the production!
    Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 19:58:48 (permalink)
    OK, Jimmy, new mix up.  I tried to make it less bouncy (I thought the exact same thing about the original version and thought maybe you would too, but decided to try it anyway.)  Thanks for helping me with this one too!  I put it in a concert hall (is it too much?) and added extra resonant sustain to Ivory (I haven't used that very often so I'm wondering how it translates), I took out a lot of the bouncy chords, changed a few notes just 'cause, changed the eq.  (you recommended a cut at 3K.  I had a bump at 4K. lol), brought all the velocities down, etc.  Anyway, I hope it's warmer and more lush.  It's still not exactly how I envisioned it, actually, but it's closer. 

Cliff...is this better?  I hope so.  I guess the idea was to start with the morning mist and then have the piece progress as the mist dissipates and the sun comes out.  Does it make more sense if you think of it that way?  Maybe I should change the title. 

Adji, welcome back!  I tried to change things a bit, so I hope it's better now.  I can't believe you mentioned Ludovico Einaudi!  I just heard of him a few months ago and made a Pandora station so I could listen to him and others like him.  I doubt if I've listened long enough for him to influence me, but that's uncanny.  :-) Thanks so much for listening and commenting!
    silvercn
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1238
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 20:05:16 (permalink)
    Loved it !!! That style is hypnotic and your pic has inspired me more to start adding them to my songs on SC. Have you ever heard of Marshall Styler?? Your song reminds me of his piano style. One day years ago my wife and I were walking down the main street of Fredricksburg Texas a small German town in the Hill County of Texas near Austin. Outside of one of the small gift shops, there was Marshall and his wife sitting at a small table with a jam box and a bunch of his CDs for sale...not to long after that I had all of his albums. Here is his FaceBook page if you care to give a listen. 

Very nice Janet ! It is gratifying to see an image and write a song about it. After a visit to the Grand Canyon I can home and wrote one for my acoustic guitar...some day when I get it recorded, I will add it to my SC page....  

http://www.myspace.com/marshallstylerpiano/music

Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 20:17:05 (permalink)
    Thank you, Charles.  Shucks, you guys are too nice. :-)  No, I've never heard of Marshall Styler either.  That rock I've lived under all my life must be quite large.  lol  But I'm listening now and his music is just beautiful.  Thank you for introducing me to him.  I'll enjoy listening.  That's cool you got to see him in person.  I got to see Jon Schmidt in person a couple of years ago.  He's incredible and has a great stage presence too.  Sort of like Victor Borge, but not quite so over the top funny. :-) 

I'd love to hear your piece that the Grand Canyon inspired. That's once place I'd love to visit some day.  I seriously thought about it last summer but realized it might not be all that pleasant when it was probably 110 outside.  lol.  Maybe some day. 

Now I'm hearing a low buzz on this version.  I'll have to see if I can fix that. 
    Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 20:27:53 (permalink)
    Man, I'm getting a terrible buzzing sound when I upload it to SC.  It's not there in Sonar or in the mp3.  Any idea what's happening, guys? 
    Truckermusic
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 20:35:17 (permalink)
    OK...now you are heading in the correct direction.........I LIKE THE SOUND much better....but you still need to do more.....especially with the dynamics.....go from very soft to loud in the center section back down to soft.

and keep the ruboto!

your last several bars are where you need to be for "mist" .  Or at least in my nogging!  :-)

CLIFFORD

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    silvercn
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 20:43:47 (permalink)
    I thought you would like Marshall -My sife surprized me with the Gand Caynon trip and it was during the fall so no big heat and actually driving up there from Sedona we went through a birch forest with a freshly fallen snow....I am kicking myslef for not being able to pull over and take some pics of that !! but the road conditions at the time did not allow. The canyon was one of those OMG ! experiences and exceeded the expectations - not let downs at all like when you get to some place and then think ---oh is this it ? To boot, there was a heavy fog at first covering the canyon, which soon lifted, follow by a rainbow that went down into the canyon -- now how could you not write a song about that !!! Keep up your work and DAWing.... what is your DAW?
    Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 20:47:44 (permalink)
    Cliff...very loud in the middle?  OK, I'll work on it. (just found another one on my page that needs surgery...so I'm workin' on it now.)  Well, they all do, I know, but you know what I mean.  lol    See, that's the weird part...the ending with mist doesn't fit the picture at all.  Oh well.  Like I said, maybe I'll just change the name.  How about 'On my Way to Work?'  lol
    Thanks again for the ears! 

Charles, I sorta figured the Grand Canyon was one of those places that pictures just can't do justice to.  Sounds like a wonderful time!  My DAW...Sonar 8.5 Studio. Is that what you mean? 
    Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 20:51:31 (permalink)
    Cliff, do you hear that buzzing?
    Truckermusic
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 20:59:43 (permalink)
    Yes Janet I do

CLIFFORD

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    silvercn
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 21:09:43 (permalink)
    That is what I meant..about your DAW - I recently upgraded to Sonar Producer 8.5 and then they throw X1 Producer at me for "free" . I have not really had a chance to learn either one well...

On the issue of someone not seeing the image that was intended with the song title and pic; That reminds me that for a while on my instrumentals (acoustic guitar) I (being in the field of psychology) thought that for every person that listens to an insturmental there will be a different image in their mind - if they were not given the title. So like an inkblot test that is considered a "projective tests' - ie - the person projects their own thoughts and feelings to supply meaning to the image they are looking at -  I was going to just leave off any title or call them: Project #1 ...Projective #2.. Have not done that yet since a lot of people will just think that is too weird !
    Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 21:12:01 (permalink)
    Cliff:  :(  It happened with another one I just uploaded.  That's so sad.  I don't know what's causing it!

Yeah, Charles, I certainly haven't figured out everything about 8.5 Studio either.  Not sure if I ever will. :-)  And don't worry about being too weird around here. :-)
    silvercn
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 21:21:07 (permalink)
    Thanks - we all need vallidation. On my point about song titles - especially instrumentals ---you can see that your song elicited different images and feelings in one person to the next - so there does not seems to be any norm for matching a song with a certain title...it's like...."listen to this song and assign your own title." The main point is that you were inspired and created something that many people liked......I must have missed some posts, what is the buzzing all about ? 
    Janet
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 21:22:34 (permalink)
    When I uploaded a new mix I hear a buzzing in the lower registers.  I don't remember hearing that before and don't know how it got there.  (or how to take care of it.) 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Morning Mist 2011/01/11 21:29:31 (permalink)
    Such a lovely piece! 
    A song not to be mist!

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1