Most Underrated Record Producers

Author
RobWS
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2017/02/24 10:00:28 (permalink)

Most Underrated Record Producers

Many years ago I remember a local Philly radio station discussing the most underrated bands of the day.  They listed The Kinks and Rush and one other band that I don’t recall today.  But this has made me think for a long time about record producers.  Who do you feel would make that list?  It’s not as though they’re unknown, they just don’t rise to the surface when names are mentioned.

Prior to Sir George Martin producing the Beatles, who even knew what a producer was?  His role as the fifth Beatle opened up the world of record production to the general public.  Other names have been highly regarded over the years; Roy Thomas Baker is one that comes to mind.

But what about those names not instantly rising to the surface?  I’d like to hear your votes.  I’ll start with my number one name that I have thought about for many years; Jeff Lynne.

As an example, the 1977 ELO double album Out Of The Blue is about as great a production gem as anything.  Jeff wrote all the songs in under a month, (I know, Handel wrote Messiah in under a month too).  The recording took a bit over two months.  There are so many examples of production genius on every song.  His use of an orchestral string section as just another instrument in the band is a totally different concept compared to what the Moody Blues did.   His orchestra was even used as a lead instrument many times, as if it were one instrument.

Jeff’s use of echo was ear-catching because it was not for background, but more for enhancing the pulse of the rhythm.  His use of background harmony vocals was used similarly, just like another band instrument would be placing accents throughout the song.  Even though his backing vocals were not the sky scrapers that Queen built, they still accomplished a similar end result in some places.  His use of chunky Gibson Les Paul guitar rhythms were huge.  And his arranging skills always impress me.  Although I’m sure keyboardist Richard Tandy had something to do with that as well.

What is really amazing is that he did all of that without a single plugin.  No digital editing, only tape.  You had to get it right.  It makes me feel lazy with today’s technology.  If you really want to hone your skills, use tape and outboard hardware gear.  Digital?  What’s digital?

So therefore, Jeff Lynn gets my vote for underrated record producer.  If I could give my second vote, it would go to Jimmy Page.  I won’t go in to all of the reasons that I just did with Jeff, but because he is known as a masterful guitarist and songwriter and performer, his production skills get pushed to the rear, but just as brilliant as Jeff Lynn.

Who would you vote for and why?  Thanks for chiming in.

22 Replies Related Threads

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/24 10:18:37 (permalink)
    if you count jeff lynn as underrated what chance do any others stand?

just a sec

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/24 11:00:13 (permalink)
    Robin Lumley
    AWESOME TALENT.

Martin Birch.

Josh Homme/James Lavelle

Jaco Pastorius

John Cuniberti

Mike Fraser

so many good ones

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

RobWS
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/24 12:21:23 (permalink)
    pwalpwal

Your point is well taken.  Let me explain my reasoning for naming Jeff Lynne.

Don Knotts made a name for himself by playing the character Deputy Barney Fife.  He went on from there to other TV shows and many movies.  But everyone associates the name Don Knotts with Barney Fife no matter how many other characters he played.  He even made a similar statement in an interview near the end of his life.  He was always Barney Fife to everyone.

My perception of Jeff Lynne is as the leader of the Electric Light Orchestra.  He went on to many other successful tasks in the music industry.  Maybe it’s just my point of view looking at the industry over the past 40 – 50 – 60 years.  I’m not looking at what’s the latest task anyone has accomplished, just what comes to mind first when a name is mentioned.  Maybe others equate the name Jeff Lynne with producer off the top of their head.  But, I don’t think producer is the first thing that comes to mind when mentioning Jimmy Page.  You see my point?  That’s why I perceive him to be an underrated producer.

I’m curious, what is your perception of the name Jeff Lynne?  (Not trying to limit this post to just him).
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/24 13:49:00 (permalink)
    Whoever produced Remy Zero's Villa Elaine and The Golden Hum.   Those albums are incredible sounding (especially the rock solid low end) yet I don't know who produced them.  Here is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/w...NEB1wzMxB&index=19

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/24 14:18:14 (permalink)
    Todd Rundgren, who produced Meatloaf, Hall and Oates, Grand Funk Railroad, and many others besides himself.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/24 15:21:03 (permalink)
    I can think of plenty of producers I admire, but not one who's 'under-rated'.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/25 11:58:48 (permalink)
    Having seen the Kinks twice in the late 70s I'd say they were far from under-rated. Quite the opposite in fact. They were really dreadful. Sounded like two bands who found themselves sharing the same stage at the same time, each absolutely determined to ignore the other.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    pwalpwal
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/25 12:16:41 (permalink)
    RobWS
    I’m curious, what is your perception of the name Jeff Lynne?  (Not trying to limit this post to just him).

well, not only did he do the elo stuff, he also did the post-beatles beatles stuff, i'm not sure what you mean really? he's widely acknowledged for his producer skills... (good thread though!)

just a sec

pwalpwal
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/25 12:18:30 (permalink)
    and todd rundgren's certainly not underrated! (except maybe in his own mind ;-) )

just a sec

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/25 15:07:55 (permalink)
    I really liked the productions that Jeff Lynne did with Roy Orbison.  I was in a very good Roy Orbison tribute band for a while and obviously spent time listening to lots of Roy Orbison songs.  I noticed how the production changed big time though when Jeff Lynne got involved.  Around 'You Got It' era etc..  Much bigger and better sound overall.  Big drum sound at last!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/26 09:44:01 (permalink)
    Neither Jeff Lynn nor Todd Rundgren could be considered "underrated" within the industry. But even though they are two of my all-time favorite producers I do not include them among the "greats", because they've spent a lifetime cultivating one particular style. Listen to a compilation of Tom Petty's greatest hits and you can easily discern which ones were produced by Jeff Lynn. George Martin, OTOH, was one of the greats because he produced such a broad spectrum of musical styles and ensembles with uniform skill and authenticity.

So who's under-rated? John Hammond comes to mind. Hammond was the polar opposite of a Jeff Lynn or a Todd Rundgren. Unlike them, he didn't record backing vocals during the night because he wasn't a singer. He just had a really good ear for quality, and a knack for finding raw talent that he knew could be polished in the studio.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jamesg1213
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/26 10:24:13 (permalink)
    I don't know how Phill Brown is rated, but his book 'Are We Still Rolling?' is a fascinating read.

Blurb about the book;

''From the author's first glimpse of a magical recording studio in the mid-1960s up through a busy career that continues to the present day, this rollicking story can only be told by those that were there. As the young tape operator on sessions for the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, and Joe Cocker at the famed Olympic Sound Studios in London, Phill learned the ropes from experienced engineers and producers such as Glyn Johns and Eddie Kramer. Phill soon worked his way up engineering sessions for Mott the Hoople, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley and many other lendary rockers. He eventually became a freelance engineer/producer and worked with Roxy Music, Go West, Talk Talk, and Robert Plant. But more than a recollection of participating in some of the most treasured music of the past 40 years, this is a man's journey through life as Phill struggles to balance his home and family with a job where drug abuse, chaos, rampant egos, greed, lies and the increasingly invasive record business take their toll. It's also a cautionary tale, where long workdays and what once seemed like harmless indulgences become health risks, yet eventually offer a time to reflect back on.''

Jyemz

pwalpwal
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/26 10:32:18 (permalink)
    great book!

just a sec

jackson white
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/26 12:11:34 (permalink)
    -Great topic-. But count me as another who does not see how Jeff Lynne/Todd Rundgren could ever be considered under-rated, especially given Lynne's high profile with the Traveling Wilburys/ or any of the solo efforts he did for the members (i.e. Roy Orbison. Tom Petty, George Harrison)

That being said, he is not one of my favorites because despite his talent, I can tell it's a Jeff Lynne production in less then two bars into anything he does, starting with the Move. I think of a truly great producer as one who can get the most out of the artist's talent, the performance of a lifetime, as opposed to putting their stamp all over it. 

George Martin is the best example. The Beatles, Jeff Beck/Blow by Blow are all I needed to hear. His contributions are significant, but all you hear is the artist. He's hardly under-rated. 

John Hammond Sr. is anther great choice, but again hardly under-rated. I'm appreciating his "method" of being able to recognize talent and let it be, doing "little" more in most cases than provide insight/encouragement in a direction with a mind boggling track record (Bennie Goodman >> SRV). He did whiff a bit as a producer (imHo!!) on Aretha though as it took Jerry Wexler to put her in Muscle Shoals to realize her magic.

One of my all time favorites is Sam Phillips. He had a relentless drive to settle for nothing less than "different" as the "best" realization of the artists talent however crude and rudimentary it might be. His discoveries hardly need mentioning but I'm not sure he's as widely recognized as a producer. But still, not under-rated. 

Al Kooper is another interesting guy who's got his fingers all over some seminal moments in rock history. As a producer he can claim the first releases for Blood Sweat and Tears and Lynyrd Skynyrd. 

My candidate might be Pete Anderson and his work with Dwight Yoakum. Some of the best examples of perfect arrangements and sounds to enable an artist's full potential. I find there is a very noticeable difference since they parted ways. I've asked him twice now about his approach and it's that he "thinks like a musician first" and "works with great musicians". Oh, so that's all it takes?  .....

A related thread might be -the- single record which best captures the combination of an artist/producer. Something like Grace Jones/Trevor Horn. Or Nirvana/Butch Vig.  

Great topic though....

--------------------
    Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
    pwalpwal
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/26 12:29:43 (permalink)
    brian eno
    pat fish
    sonic boom
    youth
    jack white
    dave fridman

just a sec

jamesg1213
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/26 16:17:07 (permalink)
    I think it was Trevor Horn that made me realise that there even was a producer. A friend played me 'Adventures in Modern Recording' by The Buggles, (that would have been 1981)and I was blown away, especially by the track 'Vermilion Sands' . Up to that point I'd never heard anything sound as crisp, clean and deep as that. From then on I could pick out his work without being told he was the producer, starting with ABC's 'Lexicon of Love', which is still as good a pop record as you'll ever hear.

Jyemz

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/27 08:55:28 (permalink)
    Whoever did the work on AU4's ...And Down Goes the Sky

It's a magical mix of dynamics and ambience with power when required. I can listen to it over and over...

If anyone is interested in hearing this, the album can be downloaded free from the band's site: http://www.au4.ca/

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/27 11:52:23 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    I think it was Trevor Horn that made me realise that there even was a producer. A friend played me 'Adventures in Modern Recording' by The Buggles, (that would have been 1981)and I was blown away, especially by the track 'Vermilion Sands' . Up to that point I'd never heard anything sound as crisp, clean and deep as that. From then on I could pick out his work without being told he was the producer, starting with ABC's 'Lexicon of Love', which is still as good a pop record as you'll ever hear.

Trevor Horn.  

post edited by eph221 - 2017/02/27 22:18:04

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/28 20:43:37 (permalink)
    I've gotta say:  For me, the most underrated is the guy who mixed my last album, and is about to start on my new one.  Along with mixing, he's given some great tips for editing/arranging and taken my songs from around the 80% mark to better than I could have expected.
    John Jamieson apprenticed under John Punter (another underrated producer, http://www.allmusic.com/a...mn0000235057/credits).  And given John P's resume, I'm not surprised that John J knows EXACTLY where I want to take a song.

I was having a beer the other day with a musician that's negotiating a major label contract at the moment.  We were talking about control of our music, and I said "If I'm paying for a recording, John's producing it.  Period."  And I meant it, there's nobody I'd rather have in the control room.
    SoundhouseStudio.com for any locals...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Hatstand
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 597
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/02/28 21:35:50 (permalink)
    for me it is the late Alex Sadkin who went from engineer to producer

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/03/01 15:15:17 (permalink)
    I like the Vancouver connection of Bob Rock and Bruce Fairbairn (RIP) but I wouldn't say either is/was under-rated. 

Keeping it in Canada, not many people know who Murray Pulver is but his work with The Brothers Landreth, Sierra Noble and several others is getting noticed in the industry.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Most Underrated Record Producers 2017/03/03 11:02:11 (permalink)
    Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1