Mother Nature's Son Revisited

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
2008/05/19 20:09:00 (permalink)

Mother Nature's Son Revisited

This is a tune written by Mark Courter (mcourter) and myself that has been bouncing back & forth among us for some time until we decided it was time to just post it.

The lyrics are posted on Soundclick as well, so if you want to follow the bouncing ball and sing along, you're more than welcome!

Featuring: Mark Courter - Lead vox, electric guitar, and bass

Stephanie Thompson- BGV's and spoken word (secret message)

Me - Acoustic guitar, percussion, synth, birds, and mix.

Many thanks to Mark and his creativity. His creative spirit is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what yer gonna get!! Special thanks to Stephanie for her wonderful voice and being part of the 'craziness'.

Please click on the My Stuff below and we hope you enjoy this tune. Much appreciated!!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".

35 Replies Related Threads

wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/19 20:30:16 (permalink)
    this is a tall glass of cool water. the overdubbed vox caught me by surprise, but I like the feel within the song.

If it wasn't for indie artists doing stuff like this, I wouldn't listen to any music! :)

.....now.....where's them sugarcubes at?
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/19 20:43:39 (permalink)
    This one is definitely "outside the box" for you guys! Like the lyrics and the story they tell, but just can't make myself like the fx on the vox. Love the melody and the musical composition, and hey, what can I say about the guitar work but excellence. Nice change and good job by all.

Duane
    boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/19 21:14:21 (permalink)
    Definitely and interesting piece! Reminds me a bit of John Lennon's type of humor and arrangements with all the extra stuff going on. Very well mixed as usual.

Thanks for posting.

Scott
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/19 21:16:11 (permalink)
    Larry. Great tune. Listened to them all. Your acoustic sounds like it's in the room here. really liked the bridge. Very natural sounding. I like hearing the ping of the pick.

rhyno
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/19 21:34:24 (permalink)
    I'll be honest and say I like everything except the vocals. But then I don't go much for vocals anyway.

I like the Whistle opening.

Ron
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/19 23:57:20 (permalink)
    Hey lhansen...good stuff

Very languid and expressive with those runs and lines.
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 00:02:01 (permalink)
    Nice, could use more flute in the very begining?

This wasn't bad, but it didn't blow my skirt up the way some of the colab stuff does.

And yes. I HATE LAWYERS!! I HATE THEM!!

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 10:08:58 (permalink)
    I might as well chip in here. This was a ton of fun to do, as are all of them. I think I expected more positive feedback on this, but the negatives are all taken to heart as well, though we hardly expect to please everyone. This is a far different approach to guitar than I usually take (except for the lead bit at the end, which is kind of predictable for me). I try and try to think like David Gilmour or James Griffiths, but once I start picking, I'm just TOO EXCITABLE.

The lyrics are intended as a good-natured nudge in the ribs of m-my g-g-generation, not an indictment.

In any event, thanks for the feedback, positive or negative, that's what we put it up here for, eh?

Robby, I just don't picture you in a skirt.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 10:22:25 (permalink)
    Positive feedback arriving here...

This is really nice stuff guys, very creative and unusual. The mix is lush and full, excellent choice of sounds and textures, the tin whistle and lanquid whammy bar guitar are perfect. Mark, nothing wrong with that lead guitar at all, reminded me of Ernie Isley on Summer Breeze

By the way, Mark...

I try and try to think like David Gilmour or James Griffiths

...David who?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 12:26:42 (permalink)
    nice dreamy feel. not as tight musically or as open mix-wise as your other recent stuff Larry, but then there's a lot going on! Not sure about the effect on the female spoken bit, and is that a metronome click i hear on that bit? as the effect clicks in and out is a bit disconcerting...i know the effect you were going for but not sure if it quite nailed it there. i love how the song comes back in after that though. nice how the electric guitar becomes more complex in the rhythm as the song progresses. I like the solo Mark!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 12:39:08 (permalink)
    Love the music. There were some interesting moments on the Vox, and I like the spoken word part.

Its fascinating that you should post a spoken word part that is heavily processed. I have been making just that for my last song.

Well done.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    mcourter
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 14:20:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Positive feedback arriving here...

This is really nice stuff guys, very creative and unusual. The mix is lush and full, excellent choice of sounds and textures, the tin whistle and lanquid whammy bar guitar are perfect. Mark, nothing wrong with that lead guitar at all, reminded me of Ernie Isley on Summer Breeze

By the way, Mark...

I try and try to think like David Gilmour or James Griffiths

...David who?

Thanks, James. I'm glad someone noticed the whammy effect. That homemade guitar of mine is the first guitar I've ever had with a whammy bar, and I was hoping I didn't overdo it playing with my new toy, I tried to keep it subtle.

And I know you remeber David G. Wasn't he a student of yours back in the day?

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
    mcourter
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 14:22:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mgh

nice dreamy feel. not as tight musically or as open mix-wise as your other recent stuff Larry, but then there's a lot going on! Not sure about the effect on the female spoken bit, and is that a metronome click i hear on that bit? as the effect clicks in and out is a bit disconcerting...i know the effect you were going for but not sure if it quite nailed it there. i love how the song comes back in after that though. nice how the electric guitar becomes more complex in the rhythm as the song progresses. I like the solo Mark!

Mark, I'm also pleased you like the guitar work and it's increasing complexity. This approach was a real challenge, and a great opportunity for growth, I've never tried writing "pretty" music before. And I think the two guitars together are really nice, but I'm biased.

Oh, and that's not a metronome, but Larry's percussion track, which does get kind of quiet there
    post edited by mcourter - 2008/05/20 14:42:52

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    mcourter
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 14:25:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

Love the music. There were some interesting moments on the Vox, and I like the spoken word part.

Its fascinating that you should post a spoken word part that is heavily processed. I have been making just that for my last song.

Well done.

Cheers
    Shad

Thanks for the comments, Shad, much appreciated.

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 16:39:12 (permalink)
    Wow! Listening un phones....what a huge soundscape you have here.....acoustics sound great!! Very cool lyics...wonderfully laid back. Unique, I like it!
    mcourter
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 16:55:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: variaxman

Wow! Listening un phones....what a huge soundscape you have here.....acoustics sound great!! Very cool lyics...wonderfully laid back. Unique, I like it!

Thanks, Vman. Actually, one of the things I like about this song is the stark contrast between the pastoral feel of the music and the slightly sardonic tone of the lyrics. Glad you like it!

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 18:56:54 (permalink)
    This approach was a real challenge, and a great opportunity for growth, I've never tried writing "pretty" music before

Mark, you click on my sig i have 3 different styles of music, from pop/rock to death metal to church music....it's good and challenging to play/write in different genres!! when you can crossover stuff, you realise it's all music in the end!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/20 19:25:53 (permalink)
    I'll tell you what, you guys clean up when it comes to recording Guitars.

You can almost hear the sap running through the wood.

If I need Guitars I sure know where to come.
    apell
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/21 00:34:02 (permalink)
    I love the lyrics you old hippies! I feel all relaxed now in my corporate office - time to wake up and get back to work.

Anthony Pell. (APELL)
    "Wild & Completely Unbridled Electronica" - inthemix.com.au
    www.apellmusic.com
    www.myspace.com/apellmusic
    www.youtube.com/apellmusic
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/21 13:13:37 (permalink)
    I really dig the songwriting - the lyrics, the arrangement. I can definately relate to this lyrics as I've gone from Grateful Dead concerts in the 70s to the corporate world in the 90s myself. Now in the new milenium I'm getting back to my roots, lol.

I enjoyed all the performances and Mark I can hear some new developments in your guitar playing, congrats on the growth.

Good job guys and gal.

Some of My Tunes

HS 6 XL, M-audio Delta 44, Digitech GNX3000, Dell Dimension 8400 Pentuim 4 3.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram
    lhansen
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/21 15:34:37 (permalink)
    Jon, Anthony, and Frank - Mark, Steph, and I thank you all very much for the listen and comments. It was a bit of an 'unusual' tune, so we're happy that it went over well with you folks..old hippies indeed!!
    post edited by lhansen - 2008/05/21 16:02:35

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/21 18:27:21 (permalink)
    This is nice a piece of work. As others have mentioned, it's not very "tight" musically, but I think that the looseness adds a lot of character and free-flowing feel to the song - probably exactly what you were going for. The guitar playing is excellent (of course - I wouldn't expect any less from you, Larry!) and I actually enjoyed the vocals. I even liked the extreme use of processing on the spoken word - it gave the song a 21st Century version of psychedelia. Although, I think the birds were slightly out of tune.

Overall, excellent work - the song and production definitely conveys the message perfectly IMO. Peace, no nukes, and save the whales!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

lhansen
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/21 21:34:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave! - Loose as a goose is what we went for! Jam, free love, tune in, turn on, drop out...... you get the meaning. The 'birds' are another story....they don't seem to want to cooperate at times. Groovy man!! Much appreciated amigo!!

Slow Marching Band

mcourter
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/21 22:16:01 (permalink)
    Jonbuoy: are you saying it's sappy?

Anthony: hey who you calling "old?" It's just my body that's aging!

I enjoyed all the performances and Mark I can hear some new developments in your guitar playing, congrats on the growth.

Thanks, Frank, nice of you to notice. I agree that this is something unlike I've my previous work, I'm very pleased with it overall. Growth is what it's all about. Glad you like the lyrics. I believe I've created a new trope with "ideals of glass." Take THAT, Walt Whitman!

Cryo: thanks for listening. I suggested Larry should use some pitch correction on the birds, but....oh well.

Thanks, y'all.
    Mark

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/22 07:58:29 (permalink)
    Hey folks, nice collab. I can echo all the comments already posted, creative work with a cleverly presented concept/message. Excellent work lyricall, weaving in some lines from the original tune and painting the contrast between then and now, so to speak, really like that. Some of the arpegiated guitar parts had that Abbey Road/White Album feel to them too - don't know if that was intentional but it works well. Nice flute parts running around in there too.
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/22 08:42:56 (permalink)
    Great vocals! Mc, your voice is perfect for this, and I love the harmonies especially in the post-chorus ("Find me by a mountain stream").

The guitar arrangement is really well done, with nice tasteful playing all around. At times there are 4 (maybe more?) guitars, and nobody steps on anyone else's toes. Sounds great on headphones.

Composition... Great work fellaz! I love the irony of the whole thing... a hippy love-power ballad that unwinds into a tragic elegy. I can't decide if I should laugh or sink into dark depression Boogie's right; it's reminiscent of John Lennon's sense of humor, but I actually prefer this because it's not as caustic as Lennon. Maybe it's your presentation that makes it really smooth, even though it's a pretty depressing subject.

How bout next you do a dark goth emo dirge that has a happy ending with pixies and butterflies?
    post edited by Spaceduck - 2008/05/22 09:04:01
    markus
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/22 11:03:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

This is a tune written by Mark Courter (mcourter) and myself that has been bouncing back & forth among us for some time until we decided it was time to just post it.

The lyrics are posted on Soundclick as well, so if you want to follow the bouncing ball and sing along, you're more than welcome!

Featuring: Mark Courter - Lead vox, electric guitar, and bass

Stephanie Thompson- BGV's and spoken word (secret message)

Me - Acoustic guitar, percussion, synth, birds, and mix.

Many thanks to Mark and his creativity. His creative spirit is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what yer gonna get!! Special thanks to Stephanie for her wonderful voice and being part of the 'craziness'.

Please click on the My Stuff below and we hope you enjoy this tune. Much appreciated!!!

like, coolsville, daddy-oh!

markus
    mcourter
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/22 18:17:42 (permalink)
    Bill, thanks for the comments, much appreciated. The guitar parts were done before any lyrics were written, initially it was going to be an instrumental. But the morning after recording the guitar, while cooking breakfast prior to my weekly disc golf session, the lyrics came to mind in a burst. So we went with that.

Spaceduck - I'm glad you caught the intended irony and humor in it. However, there are only two guitar tracks (except the lead bit at the end), larry's acoustic and my electric tracks. Your comments are high praise indeed, thank you.

markus - I'm hip! Thanks!

I have to mention that Steph, who has never been a singer before I began indoctrinating her, is getting much better. This is only her fourth effort, and it went very well.

Mark

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Mother Nature's Son Revisited 2008/05/22 21:04:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mcourter

Jonbuoy: are you saying it's sappy?

Thanks, y'all.
    Mark

LOL

I never even thought of that!

It's just whenever I play your stuff I have to double check that there isn't a stray guitarist or two actually in the room.

Now that's Hi Fi!!!

post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/05/22 21:25:00
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1