Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid

Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2015/03/13 23:25:24 (permalink)

Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid

I have the old Motu Ultralite MK3 and it has done wonders for me love it to life only problem it is firewire only.  Now I have come across the Motu 4pre and wondering if it has the same recording ability or better than the Ultralite MK3 Hybrid.  One concern I have is does the 4 pre have phantom power for mics?  I like the opinion of this forum thanks in advance for your help

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4pre

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UltraLite3Hy

8 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid 2015/03/14 00:04:15 (permalink)
    It does have phantom power, and it looks like it can be assigned to individual preamps rather than in groups.  But you should look for the manual to be sure.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid 2015/03/16 08:48:43 (permalink)
    BMOG
    I have the old Motu Ultralite MK3 and it has done wonders for me love it to life only problem it is firewire only.  Now I have come across the Motu 4pre and wondering if it has the same recording ability or better than the Ultralite MK3 Hybrid.  One concern I have is does the 4 pre have phantom power for mics?  I like the opinion of this forum thanks in advance for your help

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4pre

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UltraLite3Hy

something doesn't sound quite right about your description.  the MK3 is a hybrid (as you stated in the title), which is not firewire only, it also has a USB connection, that's the reason they called it a hybrid because it has both and works with both.  so your worry about future support shouldn't be a concern.  if you end up upgrading your computer and can't get firewire (which really I think will still be a long time off) then it will still work with USB.
    to directly answer your question, looking at this page here, scroll down to the section that says "digitally controlled analog trim" and you'll see a picture of the MOTU software which shows in this view multiple buttons for phantom power, one for each channel.
    http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/4pre/audio-io.html

BTW - the design of this unit is based on the same technology as the Ultralite Hybrid.  this one also has firewire AND USB available.  they basically just added 2 mic pres and changed the rest of the I/O of the unit.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    ØSkald
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1248
    Re: Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid 2015/03/17 19:13:13 (permalink)
    What about motus new UltraLite card? I think that is better and more future proof.
    pb7r47sz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid 2017/05/22 01:11:05 (permalink)
    Preface
    This website lists many audio interfaces that will work with cakewalk products and that cover a wide range of needs or desires.  The 4pre is one of them.  Only you can determine what you need.  Hopefully the following will help you focus on organizing your requirements and goals.    
    My understanding of how to use the 4pre
    The Motu 4pre audio interface is designed for those that like to experiment with recording.  The 4pre is meant for an individual or duet.  Other uses posted have been to use it as a playback device, sampling instruments, measuring room acoustics, and adding more inputs to a mixer.
    What I see that the 4pre has to offer
    There are 4 analog inputs, one S/PDIF input, and 4 stereo outs.  The stereo outs can be switched between 2 sets of analog speakers, 2 headphone outs, and a digital S/PDIF out.  This device was introduced in 2011 and it bridges the transmission technology from FireWire to USB 2.0 having both available.  The controls are analog with multi-function pots and led lights.  Alternatively, the included CueMix software provides a digital interface for pointing, clicking and sliding.  Sampling is 24 bit with sample rates of 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, or 96 kHz.  There are no midi connections and expansion is via the S/PDIF connectors.  See the motu website for other details you may be interested in.   
    What I like about the 4pre
    The preamps provide a strong signal that is not colored by designed in effects.  I clearly hear all my on pitch and off pitch notes, the first selling point for me.  Each preamp has its own pad and phantom power switches, giving great flexibility in use of microphones, DI boxes, etc. for simultaneous recording of multiple signals from the same instrument.  This was the second selling point for me.  Many other interfaces gang their preamps in groups of 2 or globally.  The drivers provide low latency over a range of platforms.  This was the third selling point for me.   To their credit, Motu had 4pre drivers available on their website for Windows 10 immediately upon its release.  Among other things, this told me that the 4 pre is a viable interface for several years to come.
    What I have experienced so far using the 4pre
    I have measured the Round trip latency of on two different laptops and one custom build in conjunction with the 4pre.  A recorded pitch from one track was played while recording that sound into another track.  The time difference between corresponding peaks was determined using the formula below and presented in the table.

(number of tics delayed x (1000 ms/sec) x (60 sec/min)  = number of milliseconds
                     (120 beats/min) x (960 tics/beat)

Manufacturer  Model & CPU  SamplesTo Buffer  CPU Frequency  Windows Revision  DAW     USB TYPE  Round Trip Latency
    Toshiba L645D                     64 @44.1kHz         2.4 GHz          7 SP1, 32 bit       Sonar      2.0            7.5 milliseconds
    AMD Turion II P540                                                                                         Pro 3.0
    HP 15                                 64 @44.1kHz         2.16 GHz         8.1, 64 bit          Sonar      3.0            1.56 milliseconds
    Intel N3540                                                                                                    Platinum
    Gigabyte x99m &                 64 @44.1kHz         3.8GHz            10, 64 bit           Sonar      2.0            3.56 milliseconds
    Intel 6800K                                                                            1703 rev.           Platinum  3.0            1.56 milliseconds

I did not experience any conflicts when using the 4pre, CueMix, Windows 7, and Sonar Professional 3.0 on the Toshiba laptop.  I did experience a conflict in the custom build between CueMix and Sonar Platinum.  I can use the 4pre and CueMix by themselves on the custom build with no conflicts.  However, when I have Sonar running, and continually leave CueMix open and running, the CueMix interface becomes unstable with time.  The symptoms are: the CueMix knobs turn by themselves, the window collapses and restores itself, then the audio from Sonar drops out.  If I do nothing, eventually the 4pre acts as if something else is controlling it and various output LED’s will light up.  Then there is a shrill static output.  The time that it takes for this to happen is anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.  The work around that I have found is first, disable the Windows service "Motu ZeroConf".  My understanding is, this is for OSC touchpad controllers, which I do not have.  Secondly, I do not leave the CueMix program on.  This work around made it through 8 straight hours of 4pre and Sonar use, three days in a row, so I call that validated.  Although this experience was annoying, I have to put it in perspective.  After reading many of the posts on this site as well as from other sites, putting together an audio system that performs can be a hair pulling, tedious process, with each system having its own quirks.  That is why some choose to pay a professional to worry about it, and come up with a system for them.  So this is what I know and think about the 4pre.  Hopefully this will help you in your choice of an audio interface.  I plan to have some fun with mine.  
    post edited by pb7r47sz - 2017/05/22 01:33:39
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid 2017/05/22 10:43:27 (permalink)
    I have an MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid, both USB 2.0 (NOT USB 3.0) and Firewire compatible.  It works identical (including the same low latency) on USB 2.0 or Firewire.  However, it does not work well with USB 3.0 (there is a big thread on the gearslutz forum about many MOTU USB 2.0 devices not working with USB 3.0).  

Because of the USB 3.0 issues, I installed a PCIe Firewire card (T.I. chipset) in my new Windows 10 DAW desktop.  It works perfect and with the default Firewire driver and does not require the "legacy" firewire driver as many have in older Windows OS'. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid 2017/05/23 13:16:01 (permalink)
    Performance of the 4-Pre will be virtually identical to what the OP experiences with the Ultralite mk3.
    48v phantom power is individually switchable for the 4 channels.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid 2017/05/23 19:51:54 (permalink)
    fwiw, the mk3 's were initially introduced as firewire only.. and there are plenty about, then subsequently came the mk3 hybrid which of course is the version with firewire plus usb 2.0

to the OP.. the motu 4 pre buys you nothing in terms of inputs or performance, and you lose a lot of inputs, outputs and functionality so tbh imo you would be better off looking for an ultralite mk3 hybrid, or an 828 mk3 hybrid and sell your firewire only version.

firewire only is likely only a problem with laptops.. my 2 desktop machines are running an 828mk3 hybrid + scarlett 18i20 (as a mux), and the other machine a ultralite mk3 hybrid, both on firewire via an add-on card.
    Beagle

something doesn't sound quite right about your description.  the MK3 is a hybrid (as you stated in the title), which is not firewire only, it also has a USB connection, that's the reason they called it a hybrid because it has both and works with both.  so your worry about future support shouldn't be a concern.  if you end up upgrading your computer and can't get firewire (which really I think will still be a long time off) then it will still work with USB.
    to directly answer your question, looking at this page here, scroll down to the section that says "digitally controlled analog trim" and you'll see a picture of the MOTU software which shows in this view multiple buttons for phantom power, one for each channel.

BTW - the design of this unit is based on the same technology as the Ultralite Hybrid.  this one also has firewire AND USB available.  they basically just added 2 mic pres and changed the rest of the I/O of the unit.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Motu 4 pre VS Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid 2017/05/27 23:00:03 (permalink)
    Mystic38
    fwiw, the mk3 's were initially introduced as firewire only.. and there are plenty about, then subsequently came the mk3 hybrid which of course is the version with firewire plus usb 2.0

to the OP.. the motu 4 pre buys you nothing in terms of inputs or performance, and you lose a lot of inputs, outputs and functionality so tbh imo you would be better off looking for an ultralite mk3 hybrid, or an 828 mk3 hybrid and sell your firewire only version.

firewire only is likely only a problem with laptops.. my 2 desktop machines are running an 828mk3 hybrid + scarlett 18i20 (as a mux), and the other machine a ultralite mk3 hybrid, both on firewire via an add-on card.
    Beagle

this is a 2+ year old thread which someone decided to resurrect.  the OP never returned to the thread.

however, as I did say two years ago, his title and OP both say "hybrid" in them, but he says it's firewire only.  it can't be both ways - that's all I was saying.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1