Moving audio to beginning.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
liv4ree
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 700
2009/04/16 23:14:16 (permalink)

Moving audio to beginning.

Recorded a song today. There is roughly 30 seconds of silence at the begining, then a flute starts playing. How do I move all of the recorded tracks forward so that the flute starts playing at 0:00:00?

Example: I burned a cd of the song, and there's about 30 seconds of silence prior to the start of the song. Thanks..

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
Quad Core Intel QX 6600 2.4 Ghz 
4 Gigs Patriot Ram
Gigabyte P35
Motu 896HD
Sonar 8.5 PE
Mackie Control Pro

46 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/16 23:24:22 (permalink)
    I'm a little surprised, as this one is so easy, that you haven't figured it out lol.

Just select all tracks (CTRL-A), then select the time range that you want to delete. Then go to EDIT-> Delete and also check delete whole.

Another approach is to select all (CTRL A) and literally drag everything to the left.

ORIGINAL: liv4ree

Recorded a song today. There is roughly 30 seconds of silence at the begining, then a flute starts playing. How do I move all of the recorded tracks forward so that the flute starts playing at 0:00:00?

Example: I burned a cd of the song, and there's about 30 seconds of silence prior to the start of the song. Thanks..

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    liv4ree
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/16 23:27:36 (permalink)
    Thanks. I tried selecting all, and dragging to the left, but it didn't work. I'll try the other method.
    When you say select the time range, where is this done at?
    Thanks..

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    ba_midi
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/16 23:33:36 (permalink)

Thanks. I tried selecting all, and dragging to the left, but it didn't work. I'll try the other method.
    Thanks..

Heh, you obviously don't like spending time with manuals or help files

So you don't know how to select a time range? Hmm... you click and drag in the timeline in the track view.

But I'm curious - what exactly happens when you try to drag things to the left? Are you sure you don't have something in that first 30 seconds ??

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Saintom
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1749
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/16 23:34:17 (permalink)
    In the Timeline

HTH

Tom

Thanks..

Sometimes we see the light, Sometimes we stare at the light, and wonder why it is so bright...
    liv4ree
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/16 23:42:41 (permalink)
    When I selected all, and tried to drag to the left, it looked as though it was going to the left. However when I got all the way to the left and then released, it didn't move.
    Sorry for the basic question. I was in the studio for 13 hours today, and when I stumbled upon this problem, I decided the smart thing to do would be to shut down and call it a night.
    I came back into the house and decided to jump on here and post the question. Thanks again guys.

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    Saintom
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1749
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/16 23:58:49 (permalink)
    No Need to move them to the left, just select the part you want to export in the Timeline. The timeline is the line above the tracks that has #'s usually representing the MTB (MIDI Time Base) "beats and bars"

Or you coul put a marker at the start and end of the project and double click the Time line to select between the markers, or you could open the marker view and make you selection there, or you could Zoom all the way out (Or Press Shift+F) and lasso the part you want to export.

there is no need to drag your tracks to the left. The reason your not able to drag them left is that the "empty space before your tracks start are selected also when you "select all". Look at the Timeline and you will see that it is selected also.

HTH

Tom

Sometimes we see the light, Sometimes we stare at the light, and wonder why it is so bright...
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 04:50:42 (permalink)

When I selected all, and tried to drag to the left, it looked as though it was going to the left. However when I got all the way to the left and then released, it didn't move.
    Sorry for the basic question. I was in the studio for 13 hours today, and when I stumbled upon this problem, I decided the smart thing to do would be to shut down and call it a night.
    I came back into the house and decided to jump on here and post the question. Thanks again guys.

If you started recording entire audio clips at the beginning of the project (30 seconds before the flute intro) you still have "audio" as SONAR (or any other DAW) sees it even though there's silence. You're not going to be able to drag the entire clips to the beginning because they think they're already at the beginning.

Regards,
    Papa
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 06:43:34 (permalink)
    Even if you do decide to move everything to the left, it's best not to start at 0:00:000 - Sonar sometimes has a brain fart in this area.

I always start my tracks at about measure 4/5, just to give it time to work out that yes, there is data in the tracks and needs to be played back.

As mentioned above, just leave it as it is and when exporting, only export from where your music actually starts.

Simples!!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 07:03:09 (permalink)
    Being a PITA, I want to finish the thread with semantics:

I've seen it here before, that someone calls moving clips to the left going forward.
    It's surely not a big thing, but it may turn a question impossible to understand if such basic things are understood differently.

English isn't my native tongue so I ask you guys/gals.
    According to my logics moving the clips left is moving backwards (to where you started) and moving right is forwards (to where you're going to).

Or does forward mean towards the front/frontwards.? If so, it still doesn't sound right.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    liv4ree
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 07:31:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Tom. I'll give this a stab today.
    Thanks all for your help.

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    Dave Allison
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 07:37:10 (permalink)
    Hi Kalle,
    Moving a clip forwards (in time) means making it play earlier, which is the achieved by moving it left on the time-line.

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Motu 24I/O

Sonar 8.5 Producer, Pro-Tools 9, Avid Media Composer, Melodyne.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 08:06:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for comment, Dave!

This is confusing. If you move clock hands counter clock wise, are you moving them forwards, then? That would mean your clock hands move backwards. Or is this 'cause you're on the other side of the equator?

Forward can mean the same as towards the front, but towards the beginning is another thing to me.

My logic being: If you go back to where you started, you go backwards, if you go to something that lies ahead, towards the end of the line, you go forwards.

This is fun! Really!

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    noonie
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 08:18:35 (permalink)
    Liv4free, I too had a hell of a time getting "delete hole" to work. Drove me nuts till I figured it out.

In addition to the selection methods already mentioned, make sure the area you want to delete is COMPLETELY empty, i.e. no left over or stray envelope nodes

Dell Latitude E6500
    P9700 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    MOTU Ultralite mkIII Hybrid
    Win 7 32-bit
    Sonar  Platinum
    Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 10:56:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kalle Rantaaho

Thanks for comment, Dave!

This is confusing. If you move clock hands counter clock wise, are you moving them forwards, then? That would mean your clock hands move backwards. Or is this 'cause you're on the other side of the equator?

Forward can mean the same as towards the front, but towards the beginning is another thing to me.

My logic being: If you go back to where you started, you go backwards, if you go to something that lies ahead, towards the end of the line, you go forwards.

This is fun! Really!

Hi Kalle. I often have the same problem. And English IS my first language. :) But then I frequently get my left and right confused too.

Re: 'forward' and 'backward', sometimes it's better to say 'earlier' and 'later'.

This is fun! Really!

It is! Really!
    MatsonMusicBox
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 11:08:32 (permalink)
    Sorry - I Disagree - if I move clip to the left, I call it "back" - if to the right "ahead" or "forward" - I think the clock example is perfect. But - I can see the other point.
    post edited by MatsonMusicBox - 2009/04/17 11:23:51
    MatsonMusicBox
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 11:11:26 (permalink)
    So here's a question - if you have no clips starting until say 20 seconds in, and you want to "Delete" the first 20 seconds - how do you do that? As I remember (not in front of it now), while I can select the time on the timeline, the "delete" option isn't even available in this case? Sure. I could grab clips and drag - but this is both a PITA and dangerous when you have many tracks and many independent clips on those tracks.
    papa2004
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 11:36:55 (permalink)
    Okay, let's look at the "physics" side of things. Consider the beginning (0:00:000) of your project as a vertical concrete wall. If you begin recording an audio track/clip at that point there is going to be .wav file information recorded into that clip. Even silence is recorded. Your audio track is on the horizontal plane. You're not going to be able to move the horizontal object past the vertical concrete wall.

In other words, SONAR (nor any other DAW) knows how to differentiate between tacit measures and measures with performance content. To them (the DAW programs) an audio track is an audio track regardless of when the performer actually starts playing his/her instrument.

Does that make sense?

Regards,
    Papa
    ba_midi
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 11:39:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MatsonMusicBox

So here's a question - if you have no clips starting until say 20 seconds in, and you want to "Delete" the first 20 seconds - how do you do that? As I remember (not in front of it now), while I can select the time on the timeline, the "delete" option isn't even available in this case? Sure. I could grab clips and drag - but this is both a PITA and dangerous when you have many tracks and many independent clips on those tracks.

Make sure you have SNAP-TO set to ON. Use "Whole" as the default setting.
    Now, if you select a time range and still don't see the delete option in the EDIT->Delete menu, that means there is data there that is not on a boundary (like beat/bar whatever).
    So it won't let you delete it. You can however, turn SNAP off and try that way or figure out what data is on what track that is not letting you delete.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 11:41:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ba_midi
    Another approach is to select all (CTRL A) and literally drag everything to the left.

Hi Billy -

Just thought I should post a follow-up to this particular point, as I've seen the behavior the original poster is describing.

I've had projects where I have empty space (or at least what I think is empty space) before any clips start, and I want to move everything to zero. If I select all with Ctrl-A, SONAR also selects the blank space, and refuses to move anything to the left - as far as the program is concerned, it can't more zero earlier than zero. You have to only select the clips themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    papa2004
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 11:42:30 (permalink)

Use the split tool at the exact same point to delete the silence. Then drag all of your tracks/clips. Or you could simply export the entire project and use a "dedicated" audio editor to trim the heads & tails of your projects. I believe that can be accomplished using the free Audacity program. I use Sound Forge and Adobe Audition for that purpose.

Regards,
    Papa
    ba_midi
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 11:51:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RTGraham

ORIGINAL: ba_midi

Hi Billy -

Just thought I should post a follow-up to this particular point, as I've seen the behavior the original poster is describing.

I've had projects where I have empty space (or at least what I think is empty space) before any clips start, and I want to move everything to zero. If I select all with Ctrl-A, SONAR also selects the blank space, and refuses to move anything to the left - as far as the program is concerned, it can't more zero earlier than zero. You have to only select the clips themselves.

Ah, good point. You're right that if the user selects ALL, it will include the space lol.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

gdugan
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1118
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 12:03:01 (permalink)
    This would all be unnecessary if Cakewalk would simply let you arbitrarily define Meas 1 Beat 1 or time 0:00:00. It's unbelievable to me that at version 8 you still have to jump throught hoops for such a simple operation.
    post edited by gdugan - 2009/04/17 12:05:25
    ba_midi
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 12:05:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gdugan

This would all be unnecessary if Cakewalk would simply let you define which measure is Measure 1. It's unbelievable to me that at version 8 you still have to jump throught hoops for such a simple operation.

Hmm, I tend not to agree. I don't have problems deleting things - though I did before I understood how it worked.
    And, defining Measure 1 is already done. It's MEASURE 1

I personally have trouble understanding why some others struggle with this, but I suppose there's a reason beyond my comprehension at this time.

There are options. Use Markers, for example. Then one can select a range from marker to marker as the export range or mixdown range, etc.
    There are other ways too.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

gdugan
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1118
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 12:08:17 (permalink)
    Billy, I understand what you're saying. But there are some operations (Fit Improvisation comes immediately to mind and maybe Audio Snap as well) where the first note must be at 1:01:000 or the operation will fail. This seems needlessly arcane to me.
    MatsonMusicBox
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 13:26:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

Use the split tool at the exact same point to delete the silence. Then drag all of your tracks/clips. Or you could simply export the entire project and use a "dedicated" audio editor to trim the heads & tails of your projects. I believe that can be accomplished using the free Audacity program. I use Sound Forge and Adobe Audition for that purpose.

I'm gonna wait until I get home to test this before I stick my foot in my mouth, but I'm sure I have struggled with this before. Let 's say I have one track and one clip. That clip does not start until measure 17 let's say. There is no data - silent or otherwise before measure 17. I now timeline-select from bar 1 through the end of bar 16. To my recollection, the delete menu item will be grayed out and unavailable in that example.

Like I said - I'll test when I get home, but if someone can verify or debunk in the mean time, I'd appreciate it.
    ba_midi
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 13:31:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gdugan

Billy, I understand what you're saying. But there are some operations (Fit Improvisation comes immediately to mind and maybe Audio Snap as well) where the first note must be at 1:01:000 or the operation will fail. This seems needlessly arcane to me.

Ah I see - but that's more a limitation of those functions than it is the general design of where measure 1 actually is.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 14:34:51 (permalink)
    I find that sliding multiple tracks horizontally becomes increasingly cumbersome as track count and project complexity increases. Throw envelopes into the mix, and buses, and it can become a major operation. The same can apply to inserting and deleting time during the song. Even when these procedures work, confidence that they HAVE worked the way you want isn't terribly high until proven innocent. I can only imagine how it is when tempo changes are involved. I'll often elongate or shorten measures by a beat or two, after I've already done recording, creating 1-measure meter changes, and it's always something I dread and that I've never been able to just do. (Though I know that it CAN be done.)

It could be so much easier. For one, Sonar could let you define Regions in addition to or as an extension of Markers. These would be useful generally, independent of the OP's original concern, eg for selecting ranges. (This is just one example of how the Marker system, which dates back unchanged for 15+ years, needs to be updated.)

'Ripple' editing would also help when deleting and/or inserting multitrack time.
    post edited by Marah - 2009/04/17 14:46:37
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 16:20:30 (permalink)
    sometimes it's better to say 'earlier' and 'later'

I vote for "west" and "east".
    liv4ree
    RE: Moving audio to beginning. 2009/04/17 16:44:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the help. I'm going to check it out tonight.

www.firesidetrio.com

XP Pro
    4 Gigs Patriot Ram
    Gigabyte P35
    Motu 896HD
    Sonar 8.5 PE
    Mackie Control Pro
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1