Moving files and programs to new computer

Author
keneds
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 725
2010/12/08 17:59:36 (permalink)

Moving files and programs to new computer

I recently ordered a new computer and am looking for opinions on swapping everything that pertains to my recording over to it. I have a Belkin transfer cable as well. I was planning on transferring my Cakewalk project files via cable. As for my VST's I was just going to re-download the free ones from the net. As for my programs such as Sonar HS7 I was planning on installing via disk but will it let me reload onto another computer other than the computer it was first loaded onto? As for my interface I was going to download via disk and update drivers from the net. Is this the right approach?      Thanks, Ken

SONAR Platinum  
Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

5 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Moving files and programs to new computer 2010/12/09 12:15:09 (permalink)
    You are about to embark on a really fun and time consuming adventure.  Sometimes it's not so much fun but it's always time consuming!  It usually takes me several days to move to a new PC and get most stuff working and then I discover stuff that I forgot for weeks afterwards.  So I keep the original PC running and available (if possible) or I keep the disks available for use in or on the new system (I usually put the disk or disks in USB attached external boxes).

What you have to do and how you do it has a lot to do with differences in the systems, especially if there is an operating system change, or a change from a 32bit to a 64bit OS.

I'm not sure what a Belkin transfer cable is but if your current PC is connected to a router, you should be able to connect the new one too and move files between the PCs via file sharing.

Moving Cakewalk projects is usually easy unless they have audio.  Then you have to make sure the projects and audio "stay together" in the exact way they were "together" on the first PC.  It can be real tricky depending on how the projects and audio were stored on the first PC.

Good luck!
    --Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Moving files and programs to new computer 2010/12/09 18:27:28 (permalink)
    Yeah, you can install your program from disk on several computers...as long as you own them.

A crossover cat5 cable will allow a direct peer to peer network to share/transfer files.

Also a USB stick or an external hard drive. If you had been using an external HD to back up all along, you'd be there already.

A new computer is a great time to loose the clutter of all the stuff you never use. I find myself using just a small handful of VST's and FX so why install all that stuff again if you're not going to use it..... I didn't.

Sounds like a plan.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    keneds
    Re:Moving files and programs to new computer 2010/12/09 19:57:24 (permalink)
    Yeah!! I do backup all of my projects from time to time onto an external so I can just copy the projects file from that, Toontrack recommended reloading my EZDrummer files via their website since I have the codes and I would get the latest versions. As for my Line 6 toneport I guess I will do the disk and then download the latest updates from their site and the same for my Alphatrack.     Should receive the new lappy around the 22nd so thats when the"fun" begins.

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

Divinit
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:Moving files and programs to new computer 2010/12/11 21:27:13 (permalink)
    If you will save all your SONAR projects as .bun files <bundle>, then copy them to your new system, you can save yourself a lot of headaches. Plus, when you open them, it will tell you "hey, dude! This system doesn't have xxx plugin!" So you can just install the ones it asks for if you don't want to reinstall them all again. Personally, I save everything to an external hard drive and then attach that drive to the new system and copy everything back over again. Except the Operating System stuff. And you'll have to reinstall any applications that you have on the old system if you want to use them on the new one. Yeah, it's a headache, but you'll wind up with a nice new system and a brand NEW chance to clutter it up with NEW junk! Oh joy!!!

Good luck!!

When one is doing the process of self-analysis, One should make sure that the Self that is doing the analysis is, in fact, sane.

Sonar X3 (always patched to current)
    Win7X64
    8gb RAM
    Quad Core AMD 3.6mhz
    TASCAM USB interface
    EMU 1616m PCIe interface w/breakout
    Rapture, Dimension Pro, Studio Instruments, Zeta 2, tons more of Cakewalk's software
    Tons of IK, NI Camel Audio and other softsynths, plugins
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
    keneds
    Re:Moving files and programs to new computer 2010/12/11 22:49:30 (permalink)
    WOW, .bun files    I would never figure that one out without messing something up.

SONAR Platinum  
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1