Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems

Author
bnwitt
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 161
2017/12/26 14:36:37 (permalink)

Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems

Well,
Now that I have moved on to Studio One 3 professional software, I'd like to thank all of the helpful folks in this forum who have guided me over the years with Cakewalk/Sonar.  I bought the very first DOS based version of the software and have owned every version since then.  Those of you who have contributed to the improvements of the software by airing you concerns and complaints with Twelve Tone/Cakewalk at every release made the program what it is today.  I have watched the fan boys who ardently defended the company whenever one of you pushed back on a lack of hardware support or the lack of functionality decry your critical posts, yet you kept demanding more for your money from the bakers.  It is you dyed in the wool users and beta testers who should have pride in what Sonar became.  Thank you for answering all of my stupid questions and helping me make music when the software wasn't quite perfect or when I just didn't understand it.  You guys are the best.  Good luck to you all in everything you do.  Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't thank Greg Hendershott.  The man who not only started it all but who even answered emails from schmucks like me.  Thanks for all you did Greg.
Barry

Barry

10 Replies Related Threads

dlion16
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/26 15:20:34 (permalink)
    Me too. Since dos, about to do S1. 
    Looking back at the last two years, I'm amazed at the growth of sonar, what they accomplished, because none of the other daws available today are as outstanding as sonar… I know there's a 30-year comfort factor, but after demoing many of the contenders, I still feel that sonar is the most accessible, intuitive daw around. 

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
    850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
    2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/26 17:06:14 (permalink)
    Hi Barry,

You and I are on similar routes, past and present.  We even joined this forum in the same month/year, LOL!

I bought S1 as a safety net, but so far, I'm finding it difficult to move off of SPlat.  I think I'll just stick with it as long as possible...

Maybe I'll see you over at the S1 forums!  Also, I will try to be a nuisance at the offshoot forums.  (Can't remember the first one, but the second one I have bookmarked as "Bapu's Tax Write-off Domain", which must be its legal name... I could be wrong).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    bnwitt
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/26 18:18:07 (permalink)
    See you there JonD. dlion16 I agree with you on Sonar.  Too bad the company made so many mistakes on the business side.

Barry
    MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/29 13:30:11 (permalink)
    I agree completely bnwitt.

I started with Pro Audio 9 and ended with Splat.  I have moved on to S1 also.  I am slowly learning S1 wishing that it had some of the features of Splat.  But I have stopped using Splat because I  feel it is dead.  Even if someone buys it a lot of us have moved on and many may not come back, thus limiting an already low customer base. YMMV

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
    Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/29 16:39:22 (permalink)
    MarioD
    I agree completely bnwitt.

I started with Pro Audio 9 and ended with Splat.  I have moved on to S1 also.  I am slowly learning S1 wishing that it had some of the features of Splat.  But I have stopped using Splat because I  feel it is dead.  Even if someone buys it a lot of us have moved on and many may not come back, thus limiting an already low customer base. YMMV

Similar story. Started out with Pro Audio and ended with Splat as well.
    I really enjoyed Pro Audio 9 a lot and used it for a long time, skipping over newer versions of Sonar.
    Jumped back on with Sonar 8 and continued thru Splat and using every version of the X series.

I haven't jumped ship yet. im in the middle of too many projects.
    I have purchased S1 as well. I really liked Reaper too but when it came down to it, S1 really caught my eye.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

mwmcbroom
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/30 02:44:43 (permalink)
    Another "me too" here. Started out with Pro Audio 8 and it looks like I'll be ending things with SPlat. But only in terms of buying CW products. As long as I can make music with SPlat, I will continue to do so. I have a copy of S1v3 and it's a nice product, which I find to be more intuitive than Sonar. But I'm old school in one important way: I compose and arrange on the staff, so this is one feature I've always been glad that CW kept in subsequent releases. S1v3 doesn't have any staff capabilities, although if one owns a copy of their latest version of Notion, it can be used as a rewire device with their latest version of S1. All it takes is more money.

Meanwhile, I kept hearing this one word that always brings up images of that brief but very cool Scifi series, "Firefly": Reaper. So the other day I finally decide to look them up, and I d/l a demo version and have a look around. Well, first thing I can say is it isn't as intuitive as S1. More like Sonar in that regard. And when I attempt to load a MIDI file into Reaper I hit my first roadblock. I mean, why do they have to make it so complicated to load a MIDI file for pete's sake? I finally figure out how to do it and it still mystifies me why it had to be so complicated, but one thing it did force me to do was assign instruments and/or VSTis right off the bat -- something I probably would have wanted to do anyway. Reaper has a rather minimalist appearance for the most part -- except for its staff view, which looks quite robust. I'm loving that much already at least. But even though it may appear rather minimalist, what I'm discovering is there exists a healthy amount of flexibility and customizability lurking just beneath the surface. So this is definitely a product I'm gonna have to spend some more time with. But it won't be wasted time spent on a package I can not easily afford. One of the really big things Reaper has going for it is its price, which is incredibly low, compared to . . . well, everybody.

So if I feel the real need to retire Sonar someday, I hope that I will have gotten comfortable enough with another product where I can sidestep into it with minimal disruptions. And right now, it looks like it just might be Reaper. Now, if I can just get past that name!
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/30 03:21:53 (permalink)
    What sealed the deal with Studio One was the Ara integration with Melodyne. I had also tinkered with the Artist version 1 and 2 when the X series came out. Should have probably jumped then, but still glad I stuck around for the ride. I learned lots from this fine forum.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/30 07:21:10 (permalink)
    Started on Cakelive for DOS. Finished on Platinum. Another who has moved on to S1. As others have said, very unlikely to come back now. Absolutely no complaints though - Sonar has been good to me:) 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    Bassman002
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/30 09:46:40 (permalink)
    Starting on the Shareware Cakewalk for DOS and still on SPlat!

Moving over to S1 and Cubase very slowly....

Bassman.

Dickie Fredericks
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 373
    Re: Moving on from Twelve Tone Systems 2017/12/30 10:53:09 (permalink)
    Ive used Cakewalk products since 1998 when I got Pro Audio 8. In the last month or so I purchased several DAWs and have been working with all of them to some extent. For me, S1 is as close to Sonar as it gets and it is the only DAW besides Sonar to integrate the Console 1.

I have been having a blasty the last month moving projects from Sonar into the other DAW's to see how it all works but it look like S1 is where I am going.

Love Mixbus and Samplitude as well. Both great but just a few things on each will keep it from being my main DAW.

I purchased a touch screen monitor too so if ya know anyone who wants to buy 24 channels of Mackie Control let me know heh.

ASUS i7 / WIN10 64, SONAR PLATINUM, WAVES, MOTU 828MK3 HYBRID (3),  MACKIE MCU & XT (2), SOFTUBE CONSOLE 1, DANGEROUS MUSIC 2BUS LT & D-BOX, DAKING, LANGEVIN and other stuff.
    Web Stuff and Tunes done in Sonar www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks  Visit my endorsers!  Deering Valve Amplification www.deeringamps.com 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1