Moving software to a new PC

Author
Dega
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2011/11/19 23:37:48 (permalink)

Moving software to a new PC

OK, my music PC is getting ready to fail so I want to move Sonar to another PC - I know you only get so many installs so what do I need to do on the old PC to unregister, unlicense, or otherwise deactivate so I can move it to the new PC? If it matters I'm still using Producer 8.5 Thanks in advance for the help

Russell
________
Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks.
Waylon Jennings

5 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re:Moving software to a new PC 2011/11/19 23:50:40 (permalink)
    There is no "limit" to Sonar's instals other than the fact it is in the licence agreement to only use one copy at a time. You can also run older versions and 32 and 64 bit side by side. Make sure you back everything up. One easy way to transfer to new computer is to use a DATA drive where you have all your CPW files stored. If you don;t have hundereds of files safe way is to open each project and do a SAVE AS and check copy all audio with project to the data drive. Pull the drive and stick it in the new tower. Or use a external drive.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:Moving software to a new PC 2011/11/20 09:19:10 (permalink)
    Don't forget to go into "Plug-in Manager" and save all your presets.
    Have fun with that!

Tom

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    VCG
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Moving software to a new PC 2017/04/20 17:15:23 (permalink)
    I am about to move SONAR Platinum to a new PC (HP Pavilion 64 bit) but don't want ALL the Sonar files on my C drive (128 GB SSD) as it uses up so much memory, although for speed it would be great. Is it possible to just install the system part only on the C Drive and put the Cakewalk Content files on the other D drive which has 2TB?  If so how can I do that, or would it be better to install everything there?

My Song Projects are on an external drive which I will still use to open previous projects, but I have had many problems with missing files when upgrading before and want to get it right this time.

I hope someone can please help me 

werewindle
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    Re:Moving software to a new PC 2017/04/20 17:44:53 (permalink)
    The easiest method is to move cakewalk content to the new drive and then create a symbolic link.                               Mklink /j "c:/cakewalk content" "f:/cakewalk content"   assuming F is the new drive it's what Windows uses to divert files to a different location. Note you must move the folder first before creating the link in a cmd window.

MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re: Moving software to a new PC 2017/04/20 17:45:06 (permalink)
    Dega
    OK, my music PC is getting ready to fail so I want to move Sonar to another PC - I know you only get so many installs so what do I need to do on the old PC to unregister, unlicense, or otherwise deactivate so I can move it to the new PC? If it matters I'm still using Producer 8.5 Thanks in advance for the help

Russel, Acronis 16 and 17 have an option called System Restoration & Recovery that is supposed to exactly what you need.  You might want to check it out:

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/business/universal-restore/

Note I have Acronis but I have not used this option yet.

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
    Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1